1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Motherline

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mac 11, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

An article I've read a few times and found it to be interesting. Any comments?

This article was originally written in the 1930s by Dr. Kleemann (by whom the German Kleemann Seiger or KS tests were developed and for whom they are named. It was first reprinted in the Kurzhaar Blatter in August of 1962 then subsequently translated into English and reprinted in the GSP News in 1963. Once again it has been reprinted here (after being edited for brevity) for your review.

What is the meaning of "Motherlines?" The idea is too often confused by breeders with "motherside" or the bottom side of a pedigree ... but Motherlines is the whole of the bloodlines of all the mothers, including the father's mother and the other mothers on the father's side of the pedigree - but always the mothers ...

[the success of Motherline breeding comes from utilizing very important sex-linked genes present only in the additional DNA of the X chromosomes of great producing (Stamm) females ... since a male dog has 76 paired chromosomes plus an X and a Y chromosome the only place a male can inherit these important sex-linked genes is through his mother ... therefore; when this son becomes a father only his resulting daughters (never his sons) get this valuable X chromosome back again (along with another X chromosome from their own mother) ... in turn, when these resulting grand-daughters become mothers the art of breeding lies in selecting only the male offspring that inherited this valuable X chromosome (as these great-grandsons will be able to pass the important sex-linked genes on to their get) ... in so doing we bring the influence of the Stamm female (through this valuable X chromosome) to the topside of the pedigree and dramatically improve our chance of producing great pups true to type when we breed to quality females from the same Stamm line ... thus the importance of having an unbroken Motherline on both sides of the pedigree]

Pedigrees only serve as a guide to show us what "blood" could be carried by certain animals. Only through careful study of a particular animal's offspring and intimate knowledge of its ancestors can we determine what "blood" an animal is actually carrying. It is necessary to breed both according to bloodlines and performance to achieve success. We are looking for animals who are outstanding performers within the same bloodline.

It is only by inbreeding that we can double up on the good and bad qualities so we can see what we are dealing with. When faults in the line come to the surface we can skim them off and get rid of them. By out-crossing we only cover up the faults and reduce our knowledge of what to expect in subsequent litters. Anyone who condemns inbreeding must in turn condemn the detective who brings crimes to light as well as the messenger who brings bad news.

A good broodbitch is feminine ... of finer build, a light and pretty head with a smaller and thinner neck, lots of nobility, but also depth for growing pups. You should be able to recognize a good broodbitch at 100 meters and not find it necessary to look between her hips to tell her sex. Often I have seen young bitches which looked like grown males receiving much attention and being considered as future outstanding broodbitches. These bitches never lived up to expectations.

And then there is Herta von der Maylust who was considered a "cat" at shows because of her fine build and light bone structure and was advised not to be bred because (it was thought) she would only produce poor small puppies. Yet Herta is a Stamm (original ancestor) mother behind many of our great dogs today.

If you have a bitch you must select a stud with complimentary motherlines. It is much simpler if you have a bitch from a great motherline so that you can profit from the long experience of breeders in that motherline and have little difficulty in choosing a good stud dog. With a little known motherline it is difficult to find the proper mate since there is but a small number of dogs to choose from. Look for a pup with a continuous motherline from known performers.

When sire and dame have the same motherlines you can generally count on outstanding pups and you will have classy breeding stock. To improve your motherline you must bring together matching bloodlines holding fast to the good qualities and abolishing the bad. You then breed for performance, boldness, conformation, nose and waterwork. The Shorthair must be able to hunt for hours without tiring, he must have an outstanding nose and never give up on the retrieve of wounded game regardless of the distance.

2. bjh

bjh Pup

sweet post...good little known information...:D

3. venom

venom Top Dog

Real interesting.

4. preme

preme CH Dog

nice piece mac

5. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

"When sire and dame have the same motherlines you can generally count on outstanding pups"

this part stood out the most to me

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

so would it be fair to say it makes more since to line breed a female rather than a male? i have thought about this for awhile

7. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Me too, and this article has given me more of a reason to try this one day.

Multiple sires - Pit Bull Forums

8. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I'm still trying to understand the article you posted. I get the concept, but I'm still haven't had that in-depth "A-Ha...now I see" moment that I really need to have in order to truly say, "I understand." But, I'm doing a little more research, and hopefully that will fill in a lot of the gaps. All that aside, I think the multiple sire approach is a great idea. Folks I know who've done it liked it for the fact that it was easier to honestly compare pups of both sires at the same time. You effectively get to skip breedings, save time and save wear and tear on a good bitch. With the next breeding you can repeat with the stud that produced best with the bitch, and try another combination/comparison there as well. With two breedings you can get to compare the offspring of three or four different studs, you get to see which combination works best and you cut down on the number of dogs you have to place or cull later on. That alone seems worth it to me.

9. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I heard carver would do that...if the pups came out black and big boned they were carver if buckskined and lighter boned carver blood.

10. fblb

fblb Top Dog

It is a very interesting article to say the least. I don't believe that a good brood bitch is always more feminine though (smaller head, finer boned kinda stuff) to me a good brood dog is one that would be your best over all bitch one that can perform, and compete in the ranks of the fast lane as well as one that can consistently produce the same or better than herself. A brood dog male or female should be your best all around dog I would think...changing with time to come closer for what you are breeding for. Why not start off with the very best you have (performers/producers) rather than something that should be a producer. It is a very good article, and very much so something to think about trying out. I do believe good females are just as important as good males in a solid working program. I am just a greenhorn know nothing student though......Thanks for the good read, Mac.

11. Boze

Boze Top Dog

a female should look like a female.that is all that means. and it is true these people have been breeding working dogs for a long time who wrote this article, so what they so has some merit

12. Boze

Boze Top Dog

honey bunch comes to mind

13. DEATH-GRIP

DEATH-GRIP Banned

SO their saying look for bad ass bitchs/grandmothers in the ped , a consistency of ch or gr ch females will produse better offspring for the fast lane ??

14. venom

venom Top Dog

I think they are saying that your dog just receives more genes from the females than they do the males. So the female is more responsible for how your dog turns out... according to them. best to have females that are good dogs and Related in the ped.

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

hmmmm........yea im more on death grips level, i dont understant this scientific lingo shit...........can somebody break this down into lamons terms.

(thx venom) juss need a little more detail on what theyre tryin to say.

16. big dan

big dan Big Dog

I used to mess with walking horses and the top breeders always said it was 60 to 80% mare and 20 to 40% stud.They spend millions ever year on breeding so I would think they know a little something about it.

17. cutt

cutt CH Dog

intesting points of views on this.. thanx for sharin

18. big dan

big dan Big Dog

Another thing thoroughbred horse breeder look at is the 3th and 7th gen to c if they r breeding true.And by the way here while back there was a thoroughbred brood mare brung 9million$ at auction.

19. Holdndown

Holdndown Pup

20. Holdndown

Holdndown Pup