1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

muscle training for staffs

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by gypsyboy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to add muscle and stamina to a sbt?

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

long walks....using a harness pulling a chain about 25% of his body weight...and if he will sprint after a ball....several sets of all out sprints will do wonders....it will cut a little body fat..tone and build what he has... his stamina will be much much better...if you want to spend money get a carpet mill....it can do both also....US1

3. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Thanks was asking for my brothers dog this should help a lot

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

believe it or not a six foot lead and a good pair of running/walking shoes will do wonders....depends on your area but i like the dog that drags me all over....i lean back and use my body weight as his resistance....if it is a dog that has already been leash trained to walk in the heel position then use the harness to attach a 10-12 ft. piece of rope (a trace is what it is called) to a length of chain that is 25% or so of his body weight to serve as the resistance....this is as good a workout as there is....with no inherent danger to the dog...best of luck....US1

5. jet83

jet83 Pup

some good advice mine pulls alot and i kinda like it as it working her all the time also as said i just throw a ball or sticks for her/him and make them sprint all the time,somedays just a long walk around 3 or 4 miles does the trick.

6. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

flirtpole, springpole, handwalking, sprints