1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

mutts

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dustinp87, May 4, 2006.

1. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

i wouldnt kill the mutts... what ever you dog breeds with is you fault. either you chose for her or you(in general) where too irrisponsible to do so. after all mutts can be good dogs. many have proven themself as hunting dogs, gaurd dogs and loving friends. i had a couple of dogs once... they where brothers... their mom was a german sheperd and doberman mix and the dad was a black lad. and where two of the best dogs i have ever had. they where in great shape, took care of the yard and was very loving to the whole family. and whether anyone likes it or not... they where game without any pitbull in them, they faught of any other dog that try to come close to the yard. bigger smaller whatever but they nevre gave up no matter how bad they where hurt. i loved those dogs alot... they got stung to death by killer bees, they where born together, lived together, faught together and died together. my point is you can predict what a dog would be like through papers and genetics but you can only judge a dog as an individual... dont just run off and kill a whole litter because of your irrisponsibility of not taking the right care of your dog.....
    RIP GUINESS AND HUIDINI

2. dustinp87

dustinp87 Pup

ok ive gotta say something the huskie was wit a lab and yea they fight all dogs fight but they fight for dominace or because theyre scared

3. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

if you're not going to raise ALL of them or find homes for ALL of them then i would condome culling them at the earliest possible stage. it is the act of taking "responsibility" regardless of when you realized that it was neccessary. THIS is exactly why there is a population explosion problem for pit/pit-mixes. if you do not take care of them and don't cull them, you are only prolonging their pain and suffering only to be put down at a later date at the expense of possibly biting another person. instead of contributing to the problem, fix "it." peace.

4. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

Man, those killer bees are bad. I'm not sure where you are at, but down in the Rio Grande Valley (in TX) we've been having a hard time with them. They've moved up from Mexico. I lost a german shepared and a chow (Our Family Farm's guard dogs) to them. The Shepard we thought was going to survive. When the bees finally moved off we rushed out side to try to rescue the dogs, the chow was gone already and the shepard was almost. The emergency vet tried everything and after a week long battle he was lost as well. The hive was found and a special team was taken out to dispose of them. However, we've had a new hive pop up every year or so. They just don't go away....

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I totally agree 100% and I too have known mutts that are far better dogs than those from great breeders. The ONLY reason I beleive in breeding good putrebred dogs is for those of us who want to purchase a pup with SPECIFIC qualities. Mutts make the most amazing pets and are born with good qualities from various breeds, they also tend to be very healthy because there is a selective breeding amongst the dogs who seem to be able to smell illness and tend to choose good partners. Mutts are great, they deserve as much of a shot at a good life as any purebred. It is 100% the owners responsability and if you want to abort a litter than you are risking a REAL chance of "ruining" your bitch. If not be a good owner and find some good homes, there are plenty of people who love different breeds for different reasons and a husky/pit sounds like an interesting pet to me. Sounds like an athletic, family oriented animal with a ton of drive. Probably a ton of prey drive. Take care of your family, canine and all.

6. B

B CH Dog

If you are irresponsible enough to be having mixed litters than you should be responsible to cull your mistakes. There is nothing wrong with culling. Look at the human race, we don't cull and we continue to get weaker generation after generation. Culling proves a humane way to end a life. We don't need more half breed curs running around making newspapers as "pitbulls". You could keep one for yourself but alter the animal ASAP. I just can't see how you could possibly find responsible lifetime homes for a bunch of mistake dogs. It is hard enough to find a good home for a sound well bred animal. Just my thoughts and playing devil's advocate a bit... I love all dogs but the only ones I own are APBT.

Regards,

B

7. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

I RESPECTABLY DISAGREE. THATS LIKE SAYING IF YOUR DAUGHTER GETS PREGNANT FOR THE WRONG PERSON THEN SHE SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO HAVE AN ABORTION INSTEAD OF RAISING THE CHILD. NEXT YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE HUMAN RACE...REALLY WRONG...LOL. MIXED PEOPLE HAVE BEEN FOUND TO BE MORE RISISTANT TO DISEASES, THE SUN, AND EVEN TO COMMON ILLNESSES LIKE THE FLU. NATURE 'WANTS' SPECIES TO MIX, ACTUALLY. THIS IS BECAUSE THROUGH EVERY BREEDING PROCESS, THE BEST QUALITY OF EACH PARTY IS PREVAILENT AMONG THE OFFSPRING. IN FACT, ITS OBVIOUNS THAT MIXING BREEDS IS GOOD; LOOK AT THE PITBULL (WHICH IS A MIXTURE BETWEEN TWO DOGS). BESIDES, IF BREEDING IS DONE TOO TIGHTLY, THEN YOU MAY EVEN GET WEAKER, SMALLER AND LESS INTELLIGENT DOGS, FALLING SHORT OF WHAT A REAL PITBULL IS SUPPOSED TO BE. IF U SPEAK TO ANY QUALIFIED EVOLUTIONIST THEN HE'D TELL YOU THAT BREED MIXING IS NATURE'S INTENT, AMONG ALL SPECIES THAT SEXUALLY REPRODUCE. MUTTS MAY NOT BE AS 'PRETTY' AS THESE PURE BREEDS, AND MAY NOT HAVE THE SPECIFIC QUALITIES THAT PURE BREED OWNERS ARE SEEKING, BUT THEY'RE CERTAINLY TOUGHER. IF YOU PUT A PIT AND A MUTT ON THE STREET TO FEND FOR THE'YRE OWN THE MUTT WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF SURVIVAL BECAUSE OF THEIR RESISTANCE QUALITIES. IN ADDITION, ANY DOG WHO RUNS AROUND ON THE STREET HAS NO FAULT FOR HIS ACTIONS, THE OWNER DOES. ANYONE WHO IS AN IRRESPONSIBLE OWENER FOR A MUTT WILL SURLEY BE AN IRRESPONSIBLE OWNER FOR A PITBULL.

8. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

i understand what you are saying island tie but look at this in terms of domesticated animals and their purpose. they are raised and kept alive by humans as pets. they don't need to be mixed to ensure that they live. We as humans ensure their wellbeing. the issue at hand is not being able to survive free on the streets for dogs but being able to find good homes for them and not contributing to the overpopulation problem seen everywhere. you are arguing towards the advantages of mixing but notice that you are arguing for the evolution of the dog as a SPECIES. this bears no need to argue for the dog as a species since it is entirely dependant as a domesticated animal. what should be in question is the dog in terms of specific BREED.
    culling prevents this from happening. as a breeder of dogs, you need to be able to make decisions like culling that a normal person would not be able to do. otherwise, you are just breeding to make problems and being irresponsible. breeding isn't for everyone and that's why everyone shouldn't be doing it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  9. B

B CH Dog

Nature might want species to mix but pitbulls aren't nature. Since their incarnation as a breed they have been against the grain of nature. They have several traits that make them quite unique and that has been because of mans shape in breeding them. There are plenty of genetic variations of pitbull that there is no need to be crossing them or allowing cur mutt puppies to be produced. As a responsible owner you need to know when to cull and a litter of unwanted puppies is a sound enough reason in my eyes. Half the problem we have with these dogs is a lack of responsibility of the owners. I'm not blaming the dogs but we most certainly need to blame the irresponsible owners. I don't trust those same people to place any animal into a better home than they keep. We have enough shelters full of unwanted pure and mixed dogs. Aside from the point that most of the dog attacks are crossed bred dogs with some or lots of pitbull influence. If these mutts end up looking even half similar to a pitbull then its going to be labled one by the media and ignorant public. We'll agree to disagree on this but I must thank you for keeping your posts mature and intelligent. I always appreciate a good debate.

Kind Regards,

B

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  10. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Interesting read!!

11. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

"Look at the human race, we don't cull and we continue to get weaker generation after generation" THIS IS WHAT I DISAGREE WITH WEATHER IT BE HUMAN OR DOG. HOWEVER, LIKE YOU SAID IF WE LOOK AT IT AS A BREED AND NOT A SPECIES THEN IT IS UP TO OWNERS TO BE RESPONCIBLE ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF THIER BITCHES WHILE THEY ARE IN HEAT AND NOT ALOW OUT BREEDING TO HAPPEN. ALL IM SAYING IS IN THE CASE OF A MISHAP THEN OWNERS SHOULD MAKE IT THIER BUISNESS TO FIND GOOD HOMES. I LIVE IN BELIZE AND WHILES WE HAVE WELL BRED DOGS HERE WE STILL HAVE TONS OF MUTTS (WE CALL THEM POTLICKERS) BUT WE LOVE THEM AND TREAT THEM LIKE DOGS. WHATS VERY INTERESTING IS THAT ALOT OF THEM ARE ALOWED TO RUN FREE BUT THEY DONT BOTHER ANYONE. THEY GO ABOUT THIER DAY AND KNOW WHERE HOME IS. NOW MANY OF YOU MIGHT GO " OHH THATS SO IRRISPONCIBLE" BUT THATS THE LIFE STYLE. OFCOURSE I DONT LET MY PITBULL GO FREE BECAUSE ALL THESE MUTTS/POTLICKERS ARE ABOUT. AND IM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT IT SHOULD HAPPEN IN THE USA BECAUSE IT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENVIROMENT. HOWEVER IT IS INTERESTING THAT DOG ATTACKS REARLY IF EVER HAPPEN IN BELIZE. I THINK SOME PEOPLE (ESPACIALLY THE MIDIA) LIKES TO MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A HAY STACK..... I LIKE THIS DISCUSSION AND I AGREE AT KEEPING IT DESENT :)

12. B

B CH Dog

I'm not going to explain myself more than I have because I don't think some people on this forum are capable of understanding my point of view. They would find me highly offensive and probably take me a bit too literally. I understand where you are coming from. I'm just under the firm belief that we don't need more unwanted dogs. Free running dogs are not allowed in the US for the most part and it is illegal to allow them to run freely. We have far too many dogs in irresponsible homes. Your point of view is wonderful if the owners allowing this crossing to be were as responsible as your idealistic point of view. However, the vast majority shouldn't own their own dogs, let alone try to place mutts into what they consider a decent home. Thanks for the good discussion.

Regards,

B

13. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Potlickers? ha ha! cute. I know what you are talking about IslandTie, in New Mexico which is still the US, we also had the same way with the dogs. Everyone knew who's dog was who, their names, where they lived, they would actually hitch rides with people. Everyone brought their dogs to parties and the dogs hung out, it's pretty much the same idea. Sometimes the dogs would misbehave, but it was for the most part very easy going. I was still a teen when I moved there and now I would not like to live that way, but it is quite an atmosphere. Upon entering the "village" (yes, it was called a village, not a town) there was a sign that said "this is an animal friendly village, please drive carefully" a real sign too, not some hand made nonsense.

B- yes, you are indeed very intense. I like you. You seem all business and I don't understand what you mean about someone taking what you say "too literally" but I think I get the jist. I don't like the comparison of culling to the human race. I think some humans are evil and should be locked up for life, maybe that's what you mean. I also love a good debate!