1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice from gun enthusiasts!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ABK, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK, I am looking to purchase a hand gun for concealed carry & personal protection. I am torn between the Bersa 380 Thunder & the Springfield XD40. Some background on my situation:

- Due my small hands I am clumsy with a large handgun.

- I am a left handed shooter.

- I have severed a tendon in my left wrist. As a result it is not as strong & I have problems with a gun that has a strong trigger pull & have a tendency to jerk the trigger if the pull is too hard.

So what are your opinions? Which would be better & why? I do not have access to a range to check either one of these guns out, so your assessments will weigh heavily on my choice.

Thanks for any & all advice!! :)

2. cheese

cheese Top Dog

I have an M&P because im left handed and it has the ambi slide release...
    But between your choices i would say the Bersa. It is cheaper. It can be fired single action because of the hammer(so lighter trigger) and it would conceal a lot more easily because of its size. The xd's trigger isnt real heavy but it is pretty thick so it may not conceal as well.

3. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Oh btw make sure you can find 380 ammo if you go with the bersa. For a while it was almost impossible to find. And with the shot placement is important with a 380 so practice a lot.:)

4. CTG

CTG Big Dog

how about this one buger king hands. j/k rugar lcp 380. but between the 2 you are looking at the bersa would be a better concealed weapon.

[​IMG]

5. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

I also say bersa. have recommended it to a few people and they are not disappointed. good concealer.

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

my suggestion would be a little .38 snub. cant go wrong with smith & wesson.
    a little gun that can pack a punch!

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

cheese: Thanks for the input!!

CTG: Hey mister!!! Women are SUPPOSED to have small hands!! That's part of what makes us feminine & sexy. How would you like it if we females had sasquatch hands?? That would be kind of a turn off wouldn't it? :eek:

And it's BURGER King. Buger (booger) king is kind of gross!

But back to the OP, thanks for the input on the gun. That Ruger is teeny. What's the accuracy & knock down power on that thing?

8. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I've not heard anything bad about the Bersa .380,I think it'd be fine.Although my favorite .380 happens to be my Sig P230. My favorite carry gun of all is my Glock 27.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

I myself don't care for a gun that is to small like that, Impairs accuracy and limits you to close close range. While most confrontations happen at a very close range I still prefer to have the little extra to reach out and touch someone.

I used to have a little 32 caliber pocket pistol, And that thing would shoot all over the place but get right on top of the target and you could hit right where you were aiming 100% of the time.

10. CTG

CTG Big Dog

didnt know you were a female, my bad. and damn i did forget an r. just noticed that, haha. here is a little article on it. they sell for under $300. i like the revolver they have also.

.38 special

[​IMG]

Gun Review: LCP New User of GUNs

RugerForum.com :: View topic - My brief Ruger LCP review and pictures

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0GMkdNmbE[/ame]

11. yoel

yoel Big Dog

Small hands?? Need accuracy?? Go with LCP .380 semi automatic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ&feature=fvw[/ame]

12. yoel

yoel Big Dog

Small hands?? Need accuracy?? Go with LCP .380 semi automatic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ&feature=fvw[/ame]

Smith Wesson 642 is a nice small revolver

13. venom

venom Top Dog

you can always get some trigger work done and have the pull adjusted by your gunsmith.

14. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Ive heard good things about the LCP. I havent shot one because we cant get them in CA. But they have had recalls for going off when chambered and dropped. Ruger is fixing the problem though. The thing looks painful to shoot.

15. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

Bursa 380 is cheap and it shoots very accurate can't beat it. I owned one for a while, but I don't like the lack of powder behind the cartridge..I carry 10 mm now. I would say get at least a 40 cal. just my two cents

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thanks guys!!!!! I followed the consensus & purchased a Bersa 380 today. Liked the way it felt & the trigger pull was just right. I look forward shooting it this weekend. I hope it will live up to expectations.

Thanks again!! :)

17. Cinjent

Cinjent Pup

haha, your comment made me think of a Sienfeld episode "man hands"!!! haha

18. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

Never move to California if you love guns. It's so hard to get a CCW

19. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Best of luck with it, I think you will enjoy it.

20. BKNLS

BKNLS Big Dog

If you can afford a Walther PPK 380 get one.