1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

need help condition my pup

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by nj dutchess, Aug 11, 2008.

1. need help to condition my pup she was born on 1/26/08 and i will love to show her on oct 13 in nj at the a.p.b.t show in woodstown

2. Marty

Marty Guest

No need to condition a pup, judges are not looking for that in pups ;)

3. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

well itll be in the puppy category and i dont think they're expecting to see anything conditioned:rolleyes:

4. marty do u have a myspace i have pic of her on my myspace

5. Marty

Marty Guest

No I deleted my myspace page but you can post a pic here if you want ;)

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

i'll be showing in the same class as u at the nationals in jersey, is urs a male or female?

P.S. there's no need to work the pup unless its grossly overweight

7. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Best way to exercise a pup is a lot of play and free running!

YIS

8. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Yea i don't think the judges are lookin for that in a pup. But if you still wanna work the pup try the Flirt pole they love them. I'll be there at woodstown Oct 11th checkin out the scene guy's may take Chyna prob not to show (who know's) just to go hangout and see you guy's show. I'll be rootin for ya tho!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  9. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

Hey I know I'm new here but it would really be great if other newbies like myself had pics of you guys with your dogs so that we know who's who at any show. I am looking forward to going also to the show in NJ & I have no problem posting my pics so that it makes it easier to approach each other. I'm one of those people that is tentative to approach anybody..lol. ask my wife she was the one that approached me 'cause she gave me all the signals a man is supposed to understand... but I didn't...lol.. Thank god she continued 'cause she is really the best thing in my life & has helped me in ways I couldn't think were possible. It's just a ??? please comment. Thank you all. :) :)

10. clmr

clmr Big Dog

I agree, there's no need to condition a pup. I've seen handlers that don't seem to get the best from their dogs, regardless of class or event. I would recommend showing a pup that's very out-going (not shy), not grossly overweight, appears to meet the APBT standard and understands some simple show commands. Let that pup be himself and have fun. The APBT should always have a positive experience while being shown, some handlers are dorks and they constantly scold their APBTs for stupid stuff, creating those negative experiences, and then the handlers wonder why they didn't place or win. The handler DORKER it up, and the dog suffered another negative experience due to the handler.
    TIP: Go to a show and take a lot of pictures, both in and out of the ring. Talk to the winners and listen to the responses of those that didn't place. Observe those winning handlers and pick-up on some of their techniques and procedures. Talking to the Judge doesn't hurt either.
    Here's one of my little firecrackers.

Attached Files:

11. by conditioning a pup you ruin it fella trused me i have nown meany to do it
    a pup will build up its own stamina and wind onits own body will tone up just dont lock him in a cage play ball with him and spend some time with a tennins ball in your gardon frow far in you yard and let him chase it if your yards small then
    try to get some nylon rope put it frow you tennis ball and to a woodent broom poll
    and tye it yo that and mak him chase it in circules and him will get fitter
    but remeba incress the work and rest a tyerd dwag
    words from a grate dog man :):) dw im shure you do good
    and ps if you ever need and help conditioning a older dog im more than happy to help you:):D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  12. B

B CH Dog

No you don't :)

First, thanks to everyone for their great responses! Everything here is exactly what you should be doing. Have fun and play with your dog. There really is no need to condition a puppy. Create positive experiences through play and you've done your job. MY favorite thing to teach puppies is to retrieve and drop. That will be something you will use the rest of their lives if trained properly. It also teaches basic manners and can lead to the "stay" command.

Regards,

B