1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with dogs chewing problem.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by coco0889, May 25, 2009.

1. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

I have a 7 month old pup named Bonez. He has a problem with chewing on his legs . His hair is starting to thin out in that area and he has little bumps and scars. Does anyone know of something that will stop him from chewing? He doesnt have fleas. I have started to use Advantage and gotten rid of the fleas. Sorry that the pics are so big. I dont know how to resize them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NOTK

NOTK Banned

i used some bitter green apple spray its safe to put directly on the dog and has a bitter taste so when they bite it they stop. u can get something simmilar at any pet store. The thing is my dog chews on wood so i spray and the wood is soaked up with this stuff on the skin it might dry out so you will prolly have to spray all the time i dunno though

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

looks like hes getting eaten up by bugs ( other than fleas)
    mosquitos/black fly/gnats/chiggers etc.

4. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

I thought the Advantage was suppose to stop him from being bit?

5. KuyaJames33

KuyaJames33 Big Dog

Advantage only takes care of fleas. It also could be some kind of allergy of some sort.

6. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I would take the dog into the Vet and get a skin scrape to rule out any sort of mange. Also when did you start your flea prevention? You live in Southern LA. In this part of the country you need year round flea control. Starting in spring and ending in fall does not apply in this region. Also if you just started flea prevention 1 dose will not kill all the fleas. You will be fighting fleas for months before you get it under control.

Also it could be some sort of allergy. With skin it could be numerous things.

7. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Could be flea bite dermatitis. One bite could cause itching and bumps like that.

8. apbtproud

apbtproud Pup

9. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

It could be a lot of things. Maybe bugs, maybe a skin infection, maybe chewing from allergies.

I have seen a similar LOOKING problem in a dog of my own. He ate food different from his own for a week and started itching and scratching. Gave himself a bacterial infection doing that. I had to use nustock to clear it up and go back to his original food. He is just now starting to heal up.

10. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

On my dog I always use as a first step a topical oitment light on cortizon (corticosteroid) and antibiotic. If it is of any use it shows within a day or two. Then straight to the vet.