1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New Bloodline: Any advice?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Mudville_Monsta, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I'm going to be starting a new bloodline within a year or so but before I get it started I was wondering if any of you have any advice that can be helpful. I've started doing some research and asking other breeders about the process. All posts are welcome the more help the better. I have a couple of thoughts and a general plan but would like more info from any of you with an opinion and you more experienced breeders.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  2. Pit Blldg

Pit Blldg Pup

I am about 100 miles from you, so I am interested as to what you will be using for your foundation. I know of a really nice catchweight bulldog in the area that throws some very high drive pups. PM me if you got questions.

3. hawk

hawk Big Dog

The test of the dog is the show - The test of the family is time - Joe Corvino

Good luck with your new breeding program. But only time time will tell if you have started a NEW bloodline.

4. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I know, I have a few pups from a litter we had. This is the third gen. of pits the family has owned. Its the first gen. to be connected. I'm going to be line breeding and some outcrossing to reduce the possibilities of genetic defects. Although all lines carry them. Not really breeding for game or for show but would like to see future dogs from the line paticipating in both when the time comes. I agree only time will tell if and when what I have tried to do has worked. But I'm trying for the breed in my area and to learn more about the breed and how to get what I want when I breed. Thanks for your support.

5. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

whats the difference between what you (mudville) are doing and what im doing? i would like to produce dogs that will excel at both ......maybe i worded my goals wrong...i dont think so.

6. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

"Not really breeding for game or for show but would like to see future dogs from the line paticipating in both when the time comes."

I can't speak for show, but you can't possibly expect to produce gamedogs further down the line if you aren't breeding for it now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

you said it Rockstar!!!

8. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

im using a game dog from proven lines, that i purchased, a show type dog from some CH lines and my own blood to create what i see to be the ultimate dog.

9. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

well i started a breeding program because most of the dogs sold here are from byb's and they aren't even ones that know the slightest about the breed. u know the term "american", well here it's used for anything that has a black nose. red nose are that and blues are the hottest thing to have. most people think that bloodline is the name of DMX's rap label. the female i have has is game in the original sense. most of the dogs around here are because there was a lot of "sporty" owners. like i said i'm not breeding for game specific but not breeding away either. it's already there and i'm line breeding to get the blood more pure and established and looking for proven lines to cross to during the process also. now as far as show i had one guy buy a pup from this line and he used to show. he has a staffy that's 12 and has ch. when she was showing. he looked over the pup he bought and was impressed with her structure. i'm into game and show alike, love the breed, and felt that something needed to be done here.

10. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Theres only one way to find out if its there, and to preserve it. Just because you have a dog from game lines, don't mean it will be game or throw game dogs. Its just not that simple.
    BB

11. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

she has showed it and so have the other dogs from her litter and the two after that. my cousin ownes the sire and dam to my female. she also ownes two of her brothers, one sister and has kept in contact with some of the people that have bought pups from her. i know nothing is for sure but if most of the dogs we see have shown game than it looks like the line breeding will only make it better. also all of the pups i have sold were sold on a breeding contract. so i will be able to see how they develope. only going to use what's good. i'm in this for the long run. i have grown up with pit's owned plenty,have been into "sports" and want to teach my daughter so she can keep the legacy going. my brother is also starting to learn and he's starting to lend a hand. this is what i hope will turn into a dynasty and something the family can keep going.

12. APBT

APBT Big Dog

You don't actaully have a bloodline untill you have 9 gens filled out, JMO, and i hope your planning on keeping the whole litter and culling what you don't like, Good luck to you and dhcrew in starting your own stuff.

13. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

thank you....i believe i will need it along with all the supremely useful info available on this board.

14. APBT

APBT Big Dog

I was wrong about the 9 gen thing,

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Big Dog

There are enough game lines and show lines alike. Now this is just my opinion, but both you and dhcrew are breeding to your own personal standards, which are not game or show, and neither of your goals are sincerely aimed at contributing to the breed as working dogs or show dogs.

16. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

not only is that your opinion but that's what i said in the first place. i started this to improve the breed in my area. most of the dogs here come from byb's who don't know about their history, bloodlines, and don't know if they are in-breeding, line-breeding, or out-crossing when they breed. this way i can give a little hope for the breed in my area,raise the stakes here and hopefully make people aware of the byb's and what they're doing to this breed. this breed was used for fighting in the old days and if there was never any progress they would not be winning in anything legal now. that means no conformation, weightpulling, hogg dogging or anything else. progress is the only way to get any where in life people,dogs, society, science, etc. without progress your screen name might be phalanx, or even worse neither of us would have a screen name. i know everyone will not agree with what i'm doing, but i'm not doing this for you i'm doing it for the breed and people in my area and those who agree that something needs to be done.

17. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

Its Your Yard Bro,never Hurts To Try..............................

18. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

yeah, i figured the same. hopefully everything works out. not going to stop until it does.

19. planecrazy

planecrazy Big Dog

I like that.

20. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

What seperates you from the BYBs??? You aren't trying to preserve the blood, you are trying to change the blood. Far as I'm concerned, that ain't a whole lot different than a BYB. And I hate to say it, but for once I agree with Blitz when he said
    Now I hope I never have to agree with him again LOL
    BB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.