1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

new pup problem again.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Aceman, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Well,, my poor pup Rocky hasn,t had a good day since I got him. A few days after he got out of the animal hospital for pneumonia he started getting swelling on the back of his neck. This swelling turned into a baseball size lump. I took him to the vet and they shringed it all out, was like a watery bloody substince. He said something like that is usually caused by trauma???? He hasn,t had anything happen to him hear ??? There was still a little puffyness there and the vet said it should absorb into his body, well it didn,t. I had to get my parents to take him to the vet for me today( I was unable because of work) and they shringed it out again. Ok, thats was like only 5 or 6 hours ago and the lump is back already. Vet told them today if it came back they would probably have to operate on him. Man, this poor little fella is having a rough start in life !!. It is tottally stressing me out as well, my 2 dogs have just been very sick as you all know.I hope after this ordeal the poor little guy can start enjoying life, this is bumming me out and I can,t imagine how the poor little guy must feel.:( I have had friends tell me I should have just took him back to the animal shelter,, one even said shoot him,,F*Ckin asshole. I,ll do what ever I can for him no matter what the cost!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  2. diggit

diggit Banned

dont stress out about it... you sound like you are gunna fix him not matter what.
    he will get better it seems like forever right now but in a month... the pup will be just fine. when hes a year you might think about it and say it wasnt a big problem.

its just an absess!

some people are shallow and stuff about sick dogs..... they are not hard to fix all you need to do is have money for your vet!

3. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

I hope your little one gets through this all OK. That is just awful

4. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

It is totally worth it in the end. Nothing makes you feel better than taking care of your pup, sick or well.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

If its just water and blood, and not cancerous, what is the point of the operation? My mastiff has the same deal, after draining it a few times, I just keep an eye on it and let it be. Her nickname is jokingly "Lumpy" or "Lumps". With some lumps, you can simply massage them out. Others absorb themselves back into the body eventually.

6. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Vet said he would have to operate to see what was causing it???? I hope it doesn,t come to that, poor dog has had enough for now.

7. i would go with rocks advise,i have a question though is the lump at the site of where he got his shots if he had any in your presence.and if it was did you give them or did the vet do it,the reason i ask is he might have done something to cause this when he gave the shot kind of unlikely but stranger things have happened,but i wouldnt be worried about it none and if it aint got cancer i cant say i would go ahead with surgery either.

The Watcher likes this.
  8. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Well it is on the back of his neck around where he got his shots. The vet was the one to give them and the animal shelter I got him from also gave him one in the neck. The only thing that concerns me about this lump is that it is a BIG lump, like I said baseball size and it just keeps filling with fluid to a point that it feels as hard as a rock, like it is ready to explode and of course when he and my pit are playing the bigger dog seems to constanly be pawing at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  9. well it could be from a shot,they might have done something,but i have never seen one the size your describing so it might not be.usually they are about the size of a marble or a little larger and if you massage them they go away.the whole thing kind of strikes me as being odd.i guess maybe the best thing to do is just keep draining it as long as it doesnt have cancer,and just kind of wait and see what happens.it could possiably be from him not cleaning the area prior to the shot,or he might have hit something in the neck,or the needle might not have been clean.all of these are highly unlikely but you just never know.if it was me i would have it checked to see if any cancer is present,and then go from there.if there is no cancer them i would just keep draining it and i would move on to doing it myself it will save you lots of money in the long run.if it has cancer then i would discuss the treatment options with the vet and go from there.sorry i can offer more advice but i honestly am stumped on this one.but i wish ya the best of luck with your dog,i am figuring he will make it through just fine though [​IMG]

10. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Did the shelter you got the pup from microchip your pup? The chips are usually put into the back of the neck area. He might be having a reaction to that.

11. hey i never thought about that,that could be your culprit right there.good thinking.

12. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Do you have many spiders? Is any hair around that area missing? We have many spiders and snakes here and many times a bite from one of these critters can cause that sort of thing. Also a yellowjacket sting has caused this in one of my dogs before, but a bulldog is so resilient that they almost always make it. For a person like you determined and able (financially) to use the vet for this, I see no reason why(if not cancerous) the pup wont make full recovery. Many of us have to learn how to treat allot of this stuff ourselves, like Tex said. I hope along with you that the sicknesses stop at your place!! Good luck and keep us posted.

13. Attila

Attila Guest

sounds more like an adverse reaction to one of the vaccinations. I would venture to say it is probably treatable with Benadryl and baby asprin. Allergic reation is my call but I am not there or doing the lab work for your vet.

14. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

nope,, no chip in him yet, I will be having him chipped when he gets neutered in a few months though.

15. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Thanks to all, I appreciate all your input and suggestions, I,ll keep you all posted.

16. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Hey I hope he gets better it does sound like a reaction my dog is allergic to penicillin she gets big hives from it. All I know is it might be a rough start for the little guy but hey he'll be very close to you after everything is said and done. I have two animals in my home that I've saved with a little help and a lot of love and both of them are extremely loyal animals heck! the cat comes when I call him like a dog!! No food involved! LOL!!! good luck!!

17. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I hope the little fella is doing ok. Give him a little belly rub and a hug for me. ;)

18. Suki

Suki Guest

19. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

it will be fine,,I am sure of it,,the body just has to absorb it,,do they have em on antibiotics? not an infection or anything? hang tough,,your a good dad

20. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

It does seem like the vet would have put the dog on some type of steroid, prednisone or something,did he?