1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

No shedding....Pills

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Liza111, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Has anyone ever heard of pills or something U can give your dog to help them not shed so much?

A friend of mine told me there is something like that but I'm not too sure & is it ok health wise for a dog?

2. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Nothing will keep your dog from shedding. I have had past wealthy clients who paid me to shave their great danes so that the hair that did fall off would be microscopic! It sucked because there were thousands of tiny, little stabbing hairs that would get lodged in every crevace of my body. But, just think about it. This is biology, our hair and skin cells fall off and we regenerate new ones, this is law.
    What you can do is buy a "Zoom Groom"-nice product. Bring your dog out and rub the heck out of it and giver her a bath. Do it as often as you'de like, except the bathing should be no more than once a week. The only reason some people notice a difference with non shedding shampoos is that according to the directions you have to bath them constantly, it wouldn't matter what was in the shampoo. If your dog has an unusual problem than maybe it needs meds, but sounds like you are just sick of the fur.

3. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Don't use the pills they aren't worth the money. Do make sure your dog gets Omega 6, Omega 3, fish oil (Cod or Salmon), and maybe some flax seed oil. And it won't shed as much, but saddly as previously stated no matter what the dog will still shead a bit. These oils will add to the luster and over all health of your dogs skin and coat. don't OD your dog though just give them one of each of the supplements a day over the food and keep it routine. Omega6 Mon., Omega3 Tues., etc.... you get it I'm sure. Also you can buy a flat lava stone to brush over your dogs fur that will help remove the dead hair, after the lava stone brush wipe your dog down with a clean leather car shammi this will make his/her coat shine.

4. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

Geez, shaving a great dane. You'd think you'd need a 15 blade to get anything off in the first place. Not to mention the sunburn. I use a stripping comb on Jessie when she starts to shed. http://www.catteasersandmore.com/images/grooming/strippingcomb.jpg I'm not sure if that's exactly what its for, but I assumed since the shape of the comb was the same as on the furminator shed-ender thing, that it did the same thing. It won't automatically get rid of all the hair like these wonderful pills you talk of, but I found that it was easier on the coat and skin of a shorthaired dog.

5. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Ohhh that WOULD suck, my aunt has Dobermans & told me over the years that a few times a dog hair got stuck in her skin with out her even knowing & got infected..........weird.

Yeah I totally agree that U can't STOP a dog from shedding & that's why I had to question it. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out! I defiantly would only bath them once a week unless they got really dirty out side or had an accident.

I would probably say the only way to help minimize the shedding is to brush your dog at LEAST once a week.

6. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

THANKS, I had no idea about the oils (supplements).........Totally helpful:)

7. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Thanks for the Link!
    It almost looks like a butter knife w/ teeth, lol.

8. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Your welcome they work for me and they aren't to expensive. Plus they make the dogs coat so soft and pretty.

9. asaj

asaj Big Dog

10. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

11. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Oh, I know it won't stop the shedding but it will lessen it. I mainly use the pills as skin care my puppy has relly sensitive skin and she needs it to help with her dry skin (siriosus) and itching. It helps big time with my pup so to me it is worth the money. And I don't consider them expensive or a hassel. I don't mean to offend just IMO.

12. asaj

asaj Big Dog

Thanks! now I know what it is!