1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Old" bloodlines question

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by all4vols283, Aug 27, 2009.

1. "Old" bloodlines question

I am going to show how ignorant I am here but I have a general question about breeding that keeps popping up in my head post after post when I read about bloodlines. How can the old dogs of 15 to 30 years ago still be used to describe a bloodline? I was reading ray fox's history page and he talked about Maurice Carver saying you can turn a pitbull into a german shepherd in 3 generations. He then said what Mr. Carver meant was that you can breed a pitbull to an untested dog and then the offspring to another untested dog and you don't even have a pitbull anymore. I guess that pretty much made sense to me.

So, my thing is, how much Jeep is in a jeep dog of today? I'm just trying to get the basic idea. It seems to me like a great-great-grand-sire, even if in the ped more than once, would not be prelevant enough in the ped to label a dog by. I realize there must be a big hole in my logic here but that's why I'm posting. Is it because dogs of, say, 5 to 10 yrs ago couldn't get famous enough to have their name on a line that we still call them by the old dogs? Or do the legends still appear enough in a ped today to make an impact? Jeep hasn't produced a litter for what, 20 something years? And I'm just using Jeep as an example. My question is more general.

2. JanneM

JanneM Big Dog

Re: "Old" bloodlines question

I know absolutely nothing about breeding but if I have done my reading right you really can't define dog as aJeep dog ofor example if it has Jeep only once or twice in pedigree.
    I see that line bred dogs should have the ancestor several times in pedigree and to be truly that line it has to have the atributes that are generaly desired from a Jeep dog. (or what ever line it is)

Please feel free to correct me if (and when) Iam wrong. :D

3. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

Well afaik you breed two [historically speaking] tested dogs you have no guarantee your gonna get game dogs. you could then breed untested dogs and find game pups [historically speaking] regardless of lineage. [less likely but possible] obviously the line bred dogs will give you a higher percentage.

I learned a phrase on this site. 'good dogs are where you find them' those are very wise words imo, and anyway unless you are in a country where dog fighting is legal, how you gonna know?;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
  4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure how much of a dog from thirty years ago can be in the dog of today, but his traits can be if he was bred selectively. It is true about breeding for the wrong reasons and getting German Sheohards from Pitbulls. The trick is to find a Jeep breeder, who selecively bred Jeep dogs (or any other old bood) from now til then with gamedog traits as his goal. I agree with Mr. Heinzl that if you throw one o two puppy peddler breedings in their the pitbull link can be gone (but who am I to argue with Mr. Heinzl).
    I was lucky enough to meet the old man on the mountain some years back and he said only a damn fool would breed two dogs today trying to recreate something from 20 years ago. He said preserve as many of those old traits as you can but breed to the best dog you can find and make good dogs. He says that is how the 'old blood' was created in the first place. S

5. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Can u help me understand the last two lines... Thanks

6. Re: "Old" bloodlines question

Don't know what you mean. Are you asking me?

7. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

you line breed & inbreed on a dog(example:Jeep) you are looking for the qualities of said dog, traits, style, certain atributes that Jeep had. by line breeding etc, you keep these traits etc, you have a Jeep bred dog or line bred Jeep.
    if ya dog has Jeep, ex amount of times in a ped, but does not have any of the traits and atributes that Jeep had, you aint got a Jeep dog, you just got a pretty ped lol....:rolleyes:

8. masta of game

masta of game Banned

lol hahaha

thats why i leave these stuff to the experts ;) lol

D'S remember on rom forum one dude said that it took him 14 years before he bred a dog... he was an aussie i believe..never forgot that statement..
    it was inspiring..

9. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

aint no expert here bro, i just read to much:)

10. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

i got indianbolio 4 red baby 3 3/4 pat patricks do i call it the indian bolio line