1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old family Reds ??

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by slinky, Feb 26, 2006.

1. slinky

slinky Pup

Hi all new to internet and forums

What I would like to ask is about the old Family Reds History...?

I have been on a few website and Books that states the old Family Red strain

Where an Irish Bred Dog... I have to Disagree some of you may know that the Red nosed dogs. Where founded in the midlands in England UK. The Strain also known as the Dudley Nosed Strain. The Red nose is also a condition called Vitiligo (The loss of Black Pigments) the first case of this Condition was in the 1800s found in Belington terriers. The condition is also hereditary. My theory is that the Belington terrier's was crossed into the Early Staffordshire Dogs to create the Dudley nosed Stafford... During this time The Dudley nosed Stafford’s was prised for its working ability also known as the Milkman Strain. There many Irish Workers in the black country Midlands at the time. Who would work on the Coal mining and Chain industry it was said that a few examples where Taken to Ireland... For breeding.

So did the old family Reds originate from the Irish Strain??

Regards

Slinky

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

the story is that the Old FAMILY dogs were the dogs imported from Ireland. Old Family dogs were simplly called so because they were strains that were kept tight in "families". Out of these dogs there were certain strains that tended to be red in color .. and out of this certan color it was Dan Mccoy who coined the phrase Old Family red. Up until that point in time, there wasnt a "name" for the strain.. Then out of the Old Family Red strain certain lines were known for throwing red /red nose.. a distinctive shade of red with red nose, red nails.. and thus theses became known as the Old Family REd Nose (OFRN)

So the early old family dogs wasnt about a certain nose color..

3. slinky

slinky Pup

ok thanks Thats shut me up.. :(

4. wisconsindog

wisconsindog Big Dog

well alot of dogs were imported from ireland that were old family red noses .these ofrn were small dogs that were said to have special abilty and a hole lot of wind they were just devestating dogs it is amazing that these were not kepbt tighter because there are few left that hold up to the old school red
    \