1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old Game Dog to New Game Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Blau, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I was asked by a friend to post this here for opinions. He wants to know if y'all think it's true or not.

"If it wasnt for Dogman of today the pitbull wouldn't be such a mutt! And the false claims you make. The pitbull is not the origanal bulldog. The pitbull origanated from north Ireland. Where it was a mutt made to be a pitfighiting, bullbaiting, and terrier gamely dog. The roman Mossler (A.KA. Cane Corso) made them loyal very loyal. In the US Walker Counhound was added so they would be over nice to people in a fight.

Most game pitbulls are skiddish of people they wont bite but nor will they trust a stranger. Unless its in a fight. The game dog is almost extint most APBT's will go in there dog house to avoid people. But the pitbulls of today will come to greet strangers."

I don't think I know enough about the breed yet to have an educated opinion though, heh.

2. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

some seems true but other parts seem false

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i disagree.

4. luge

luge Big Dog

I dont know about every one else but i have never ever heard the apbt be referred to as the original bulldog! And neither have i ever read of cane corso's or coonhounds being added to the mix either!

5. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Yeah, I've never heard of any sort of coonhound in the history of any bulldog.

6. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

c thats the stuff that didn't seem right to me

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

The things people come off with never cease to amaze me.

8. popper

popper CH Dog

a cane corso is a horrible fighter... so no i def do not belive that

9. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

If i'm not mistaken its the american bulldog is what the original bulldog looked like not APBT and wow who would try and handle a cane corso in the box good luck they average way over a hundred pounds lol!!!

10. luge

luge Big Dog

you could talk for hours about what the 'original bulldog' was. But all you have to do is search the history of the breed and look at the old oil paintings that are out there to get an idea of what the original 'bull' dogs were like. Looks wise many liken them to what todays correct apbt looks like.

11. As a young child we used to play a game, I think it was called telephone or something. But in that game we would all line up and one person would tell someone something to their ear and then he or she would tell the next person and so on until you got to the last person and he would say out loud what was told to him. Well the funny thing was that what the last person would say usually would have very little to do with the original first phrase!
    This is what I think has happened to this breed and today people like Blau's friend put forth stories about the breed that have very little value of truth to them.

After years of research on the history of the breed I have a very different idea of how it came to be and of course my opinion is largely based on what I was taught about them and what I have seen with my own eyes. In fact most folks who I tell this to leave with the opinion that I am a total looney, a crackpot and have some nuts and bolts loose in my head lol.
    I leave here what I consider to be the heritage of this breed derived from my research and experience as an alternative to the "popular" beliefs for your consideration.

Descendence
    Around the year 60 A.D. there were dogs bred in Rome called Cat-Dogs, and Bear-Dogs. These dogs were used by the Romans in the arenas to combat against bears and lions for the peoples entertainment. When Rome invaded England, the different families of the Roman Cat and Bear Dogs were imported to that country by the soldiers and were then bred by the people of Britain into what became known as the English Bulldog, a dog that is now extinct that was used to combat bulls. The different families of these dogs were then bred into pure families of Bulldogs by the English and Irish people that became known as the English Staffordshire Terriers and the Irish Staffordshire Terriers. Around the year 1600, the Roman-English people that emmigrated to the English Colonies arrived on the shores of the state of Virginia with their different families of English Bulldogs. These were bred together to create what was known as the American Bulldog. At the same time in the north-eastern part of the Colonies, those who emmigrated to New York brought with them their different families of English and Irish Staffordshire Terriers. One of the most influential people to import these families of dogs was Charlie "Cockney" Lloyd. These families of English and Irish Staffordshire Terriers were then bred together to create the American Staffordshire Terriers (not the modern day AST but the old fighting staffs). These different families of the American Bulldogs and the American Staffordshire Terriers were bred together and in the 1900's the American Bull Terrier also known as the American Bull and Terrier was created. During the 1970's these dogs became known as the modern day American Pit Bull Terrier and they are the dogs we know today. It is worthy to note that these dogs have remained practically unchanged during their trajectory to the present day. They were created by pure families by crossing them together and then bred pure of each family again to obtain what is today the American Gamedog.

12. teras

teras Big Dog

you see this is the kind of bullshit people come up with the latest years.

the reason is that the pitbull is not only in the pits today. they run agility, sutzhund, whatever sports and they do very good at it. now, this pitbull may or may not be a gamedog per se, but it's still a pitbull.

so, the pitbull being the loyal, lovely dog he is, has started threatening other breeds in terms of sales. so breeders of other breeds just dont want to swalow that stuff. their solution was to come up with all sorts of bad shit about our breed in a desperate attempt to stop the masses from wanting a pitbull.

from curiosity just go to any breeder of dogs like cane corso, rottweiler, mastiff kinds and all that and tell them that you are between getting one of their dogs and a pitbull you've seen. just do it from curiosity and see the amount of bullshit you gonna hear.

13. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Another story says...........the "Fighting Dogs" originated from Ancient Greece, a city called Mollasus or Mollosos,the"Mastiff family"they where used in battle as the warrior dog.That's how the Romans got their hands on them.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion.;)

14. terryg

terryg Pup

Yea, seems like a load of shit to me

15. ROSE

ROSE Banned

Has anyone viewed the chart by Stratton as to how the breed was originated?

16. luge

luge Big Dog

There should be a sticky thread in the history section about how the breed originated dont y'all think?? To educate the masses lol. Thats if every one can agree on the true origin which will probably be impossible!

17. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll definitely let my friend know what you all thought. I was really iffy at the thought of corso in the breed too, haha... They'd be a lot bigger then, yes?

18. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Man I thought this was a bad joke!!!!!!!!! Damn Homie!!!

19. Elysium

Elysium Pup

A Cane Corso is a Ban Dog that started long long long after the pit bull was established.

20. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

that sounds an awfull lot like stratton.........