1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ozzie Stevens on Sportmanship/Dogmen

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by As we like'm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. As we like'm

As we like'm Big Dog

Ozzie Stevens on sportmanship/dogmen

Here's a guy with a dog, if this dog is getting screwed up, don't you think this guy has to give up?
    See there is nothing I can do... Should I lose because he is an asshole? No, it's not fair for the dog. But you meet people, if my dog get's hurt; do you think I'd leave him in there to get butchered? I would pick my dog up right away and walk out of there. I'd would come back and get you another day! my way of looking at it.
    But people don't look at it that way. I mean, people get in stuff. If my dog starts ripping one little bit, I wouldn't put him through it.
    I give up and get out. Okay you win, here's your money...
    People are assholes. Let me tell ya, I don't believe in that shit. I do not feel you should go, you know.
    If you see you can't win... forget it. Your pride? Bullsh##.
    Don't expect your dog to go through what you couldn't go through!
    ©agdt

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Great interview with him in the June 2010 sporting dog journal. He seems like he was a true sportsman and that if you went into him, you had better bring something better than good.

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Indeed and he is right...some guys wait to see if there dog will over come the onslaught...but if your hound is getting his ass handed to him, and you see he has no chance in winning or making a comeback, do the right thing and pick-up fellas!
    Ozzie is a great legend, with real experience.

4. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

Nice little read. A lot of people could learn from this. Thanks for posting

5. RRL

RRL Top Dog

"People are assholes." Ozzie Stevens

oakgrove likes this.
  6. Boze

Boze Top Dog

while i agree with this. it takes a little experience to no when one is still able to mount a comeback and when one is truly done, and sometimes u make that decision to late, i used to wonder how some ppl could leave there dogs down t long and dont get ne wrong some guys see there dog just lying there and stay in, but sometimes u see hope and it is still to late its a fine line

7. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Ozzie was a great dogman.But he made the same mistake that he is talking about with CH.Homer.

8. As we like'm

As we like'm Big Dog

@Boze... Sometimes it works to have a "second" at pitside who is watching the dog's well being closely... You can agree somekind of "secret word/signal" when it is time to pick up.
    It is a pity that too many good game dogs were lost in the past due to a too late pick up. Sometimes pride, the heat of the moment or inexperience is involved, but mostly I think it is a "money-thing".
    I can agree it is a thin line, so better stay on the save side. And do what Ozzie says "I'd would come back and get you another day"

9. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Very true and well said.People should use this advise.

10. Boze

Boze Top Dog

o i agree man i would rather pick up to early then to late

11. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Boze you are right. I would rather do the same then lose a good dog.Some other basic advice to who ever wants to take it.Do right by your dog by not partying while you should be taking care of them.Give them proper care afterwards.Don't go off partying or talking bs with others when you should be taking care of your dog.This is not directed at anyone ,just advice.

12. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

a fella shouldn't ever start something he can't walk away from. looking for the truth ain't never easy & not everyone can do it. so you got to give create to the dogs & folks that didn't quit no matter what. the title "game" is earned & shouldn't be thrown around so easy. if it can go it must go because there's dogs like curtis low that stayed around on two wheels. 99.9% would of pick him up & at the end of the day that dog would just be a memory. if homer beat jeep then ozzy would of looked like a geniuse. but he didn't so O sang a different tune. yall are being self serving hypocrites because if your the one who is getting the better & they ain't picking up. theoretically speaking you ain't going to volunteer to go home so they can save there "good dog". if there's air in the tank there's a chance to finish the race. that's the gamble hell some dogs stopped after being out ahead & some came from the bottom. some gave there last breath belly down nose & eyes looking at death. they wouldn't want it any other way the went out on there own turms.

13. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Good post!

14. Boze

Boze Top Dog

id rather have my dog be just a memory than be dead. no offense but i dont care what others think about my dogs , if im winning more than losing and ppl bring there best when they see me then that is all that matters. if i got a dog down and out and he aint going for holds and hes gfettin torn up hes gettin picked up. i seen morons leave a dog down who was literally lying there like a fuckin doll claiming he got a chance or i want to see how game he is well that is bullshit. and if u got a deep game dog then that dog aint gonna stop so it is up to u to not let them take there deatgh a dead game dog is still a dead dog, it is something to see a dog go against all odds and make a stumbling scratch, but i dont need to see a dog make a handfull of stumbling scratches to prove his gameness

15. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

and that's why i say finding the truth ain't for everybody. "game" is different to different folks. to me the only game dog is a deadgame dog & everything else is just half honest. what i herd was not every dog did damage & some would lay there & catach a second wind then come from behind & shut it down. it's things like that that separates the great ones from the avg ones. stp & rebel understood this when buck & sandman meet.

16. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Sandman vs. Buck, yeah they both proved before this their match that they was very good dogs.It was a matter of pride between Rebel vs. STP. Ricky did state that he regretted not picking Sandman up to save him.I would rather pick my dog up after he's done all he can and use him for stud.Boze is correct some have left their dog down to get chewed on and was just spent and no way they could win at that point. Still their handlers wouldn't pickup.Thats not sportsmanship thats an asshole. Ben you are right about Ozzie singing a different tune after Jeep beat Homer.Ozzie should have said something to the those guys about picking up his dog or he should have handled his own dog.Its bad sportsmanship to complain about it after the fact.DO RIGHT BY YOUR DOGS and they will do you proud.But that is what happens when guys are betting $20,000. plus.I agree with Boze I don't care what others think or thought in my case.I owe my dogs not some guys that didn't feed them that just want to gamble on the other dog quitting.

17. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Im a go ahead and third what boze and redrum said.I think it comes down to how the man behind the dogs feels about his dogs.If he just views them as property or if hes just a gambler then hell prob not care about the dog anyway and not want to have to nurse the "loser" back to health(probly kill em if he lived anyway) so either he comes from the bottom or get buried.Or he could be the type who love his dogs either as family or the way a good boxing trainer loves his students.He will throw in the towel when hes sees his beloved has given all they can. Not gamble with they life for his own pride, glory, money whatever. Being a descendent of slaves and so learning a lot about what it meant to be someones property (even though dogs are "property")I dont treat mine as such.Now ive been told a time or two that im pretty game(crazy)myself and i hope that if the day comes when i cant see that ive had enough some one who cares about me stops me from getting up(If they havent already jumped in) when my heart has overridden my body and brain to the detriment of my life.And ill always do the same for mine 2 or 4 legged

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

what's the point of a yard full of losers ? i don't believe the majority of sportsman pre 76 keept housepets. it's funny to read these post. because i'd bet everyone of yall have posted " cull hard" or something of that affect. would you make culls into housepets ? hypocrites because any that found themselves in a position to pick up would be a gambler. losing homer didn't break ozzy & sandman didn't break ricky. they got over it & set the next one down.

19. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

That's a ruff way of putting it LOL Why do you think a dog has to die to be considered game? I know quick matches don't always test the dog's level of gameness and those dogs who finish another dog quickly probably come out on top do to ability. But what about a dog who fight's hard for 2 hours and gives his all or a dog who is dying but continues to fight and his handler picks him up to prevent loosing a good dog? Why wouldn't you consider these dog's game just because they didn't die? Just curious as to why you think this way ...

20. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Losing Homer or Sandman didn't break them.Thats true.But Ricky stated that he regretted it.Ozzie is still talking about how he lost Homer after over 30 years.So I would say it does bother him or he wouldn't bring it up.Yard of losers well if the dog gives it his all and loses and you breed to them and get some good dogs.You have accomplish something.There has been many of great dogs that have lost/pickup and went on to produce very good dogs that has been covered on here already.