1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Panhandlers with dogs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by F.D., Aug 11, 2012.

1. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

I see a lot of people on street corners with various signs asking for money. Many of them have APBTs or other dogs. I don't know if they are homeless and the dogs live with them on the streets, or if they have the dogs as a way to increase revenue. Maybe both.

I have read about people out panhandling because it is more lucrative, and tax-free, than many other ways to make money. I'm sure some % are legit, wheras others are scammers.

The issue in this case is whether having a dog there is a scam...

2. Jim R

Jim R Banned

LOL no panhandling is legit, 99% are a hustle. even the wheelchair trick works.
    hungry? hitch to Oregon and wait for some Moose roadkill. it's what they use to feed the homeless.

wait. don't tell any sunshine blowers. they'll get a lil pissy. :p

3. sega

sega Big Dog

If u can panhandle u can work, money ain't free especially mine

4. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

If they were that bad off they would have already eaten that dog.

5. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Newspaper ran an article around here, panhandler made over 60k last year. They say most make enough to stay in one of those "classy" motels with the weekly rates lol the blind man selling the pencils ain't really blind, he has a heroin habit to support. I also seen this guy in my old neighbor hood with a JRT, bike n little kennel he would make flowers out of palm tree. that dude deffinately did have the dog for extra sympathy. That little pos was a mean sob too, take your dang ankle off if you tried to pass too close. I personally believe the bums u see not pan handling, the ones up under the bridges or digging through the trash, they are the legit ones. I try to have compassion but deffinately ain't got money like that. I wonder about their story n how they got there. Bet some it is their own fault. Either way makes me thankful my family is good.

6. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

it defiantly make you appreciate what you have looking at someone who has it worse off than yourself..... when i was little and lived in the city there were homeless people all around. i used to throw hamburgers that i had just bought in the trash becuase i was too scared to give it to them. maybe a lil mean but they ate it. i wasnt trying to be mean either, but at 12-13 years old and your by your self some of them look pretty scary lol.....

well, to make a long story short. i had a uncle that chose to be homeless. he got arround pan handling from the west coast to the east coast. he had family but just chose that live style. most of them have some type of mental issues and maybe my uncle (3rd uncle) had one too. some of them just like it plain and simple and chose not to live any other way. its hard to tell a hustler from a legit homeless man/woman but i still try to give some change when i have some. 50 cents etc...... never too much just a lil something.

7. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

the killer part is that most that see a homeless man with a dog feel pity not for the man/woman, but they feel pity for the dog lol. the world we live in lol

8. MCS

MCS CH Dog

^^^^ That right there says it all. It is the way society is, sad but true.
    Thing is the panhandlers know this lol who is dumb now.

You are right, that article I read was saying when interviewed most say they choose to live like this and given the choice they rather live like that.

9. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

LOL!!!!!!!! That's funny/true as hell!!!

10. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

In my opinion,most panhandlers are able to work,at least at something.They just need to clean up and try and find a job.The jobs they could get may not make them rich but they'd be earning their money.Even if they don't make much,most states have a pretty generous welfare system,it's easy to get food stamps.All they have to do is make enough to rent a house.There's even places for low income housing.These people don't want anything but a hand out.Most are either strung out on drugs or just a professional bum.I see little reason to really be homeless in this country.May not be the home we like to have but most people can get something better than living behind a dumpster.I'm afraid most of these people if you gave them enough for 3 months rent and some form of basic transportation,some clean clothes and told them where to find a job,would squander the money and not ever apply for that job.They have to want to help themselves before anyone else can help them.

11. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

But the potential to make $60K per year, tax-free, and set your own hours is a powerful motivation. And, based on what I have seen and others have mentioned here, some panhandlers aren't homeless. Some of them even have nice cars.

12. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

honestly i think most panhandlers/homeless people own dogs because they're lonely and need the company. this isnt a third world country where you have to cook your dog to survive.

and panhandling isnt a scam, its pretty up front in what it is. they sit or stand somewhere and ask for money...they either get it or they don't.

then again its very easy to be homeless in this country. its illegal to even live in your car.

13. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Naus, it's even easier to not be homeless.

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i have no sympathy for them whatsoever. the government squeezes tax dollars out of each and every one of us to support programs designed to help people in need, yet some choose to turn their back to it and try to take the money straight out of your pocket. fuck em...i dont wanna hear their story, i dont care if you are or you arent homeless, if you are or you arent starving, just get the fuck outta my way when i walk by.

15. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

even though the USA isnt a 3rd word country there is still great injustice within our communities and some may not be able to handle certain stresses of ever day life as others. you may say its easier to not be homeless, but to some thats not a choice in there heads. alot of the homeless people suffer from physiological disorders that prevent them from doing normal things. one thing that is for certain is that if i was homeless i would want to be homeless in the USA were there is shelter and food pantries or soup kitchens etc. im sure there are scamers out there but im sure that far and slim. you shouldnt look at all of them as scam artists becuase not all of them are making 60k a year doing that. im sure the dog thing to as Naus mentioned is for company and maybe for protection as well.

16. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

really? how so?

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

if youre female...pop out a kid.
    then you'll qualify for everything the average joe busts his ass to have. you know... housing, food, medical insurance.

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

section 8 housing isn't as easy as that to get. i know several females with more than one kid waiting for that. do you mean like women homeless shelters?

19. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

thats defiantly not the solution there at all. your just adding to the problem with that there and feeding more tax dollars into a something bad. the projects arent the best place to live either or to raise children.

as far as section 8 housing it sure isnt easy to get and thats a big misconception. there is a waiting list that is hard to get on even if you have kids the wait is long and sometimes you cant even get on the list. i do know veterans have a big advantage though even before women with kids i think.

i mean im not going to empty out my bank accounts for them, but 25 cents doesnt hurt me at all to give. id rather give to a human than to a animal shelter any day out the week.

20. RRL

RRL Top Dog

I give change to the homeless if I have it.Iwill not give change to "street performers" tho,that's going to far.The ones that have dogs would get more sympathy if they had a dog with a missing leg or 2 IMO.