1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Parvovirus management?help:p

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by PrimevilPitbulls, Dec 29, 2010.

1. my 11 month old dog(she was vaccinated as a puppy but somehow got parvo) seems to have parvo, i took her to the vet he looked at her and said shes too alert its not parvo i insisted she was just nervous and i keep her hydrated so shes not gna be a zombie but her energy is still way lower thn usual, but he insisted she was fine gave her a shot ow stomache soothing crap and charged me 200$ i took her home, last nite she had her first bloody diharea so i decided he obv dosnt know enough or care enough about this so ima have to treat it myself lol, ive done this before but its always a nervous situation, i give her pedialite/gatorade chased with a little water to make sure when she pukes its mostly just the water and she keeps the electrolites and vitamins every 30min-1hr round the clock and pepto for the vomiting and diareah, i rub small amounts of yogurt on the gums for some added substance and constantly offer water,gatorade,and rice yogurt and hamburger(small amnts of all) is there much else i can do from home?

2. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

The vet would not run a parvo test? That seems odd that a vet would not run a parvo test because the puppy was alert, even at the owners request. What did the $200 cover? Just stomach meds???:confused:

Regardless, what symptoms is she showing? Just because a dog is lethargic or has bloody/runny stool doesn't mean it is parvovirus. There are a number of other issues that could be going on that I would consider, esp on an 11 month old dog that was vaccinated previously. What if it's an intestinal blockage? Or some kind or parasite? Or another virus? Or a toxin??

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Damn! For $200 bucks you would think you would at least know what is wrong with the pup. it could be a lot of things. Good luck! would call the vet back and complain. Maybe he or she will hook you up.

4. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

good help its help like this that makes putting up with all the crap on this and other sites worth-while very informative and well written a real keeper
    thanks

5. shes got the bloody watery crap. was throwing up bile. lethargic. Head shaking. Eyes running. Bouncing temp. Losing weight. Throws up has to be forced to take anything and she loses 1/3-half of everything she drinks. And it was the meds office visit and disposal of haz mat.lol lotta bs if u ask me i was plssed i have her doin a little better now but im not sure if shell make it. Wjhats the colliodal silver for? I cant find it around here like anywhere. Noone seems to carry it. O and he said all he could do is xray but it dosnt seem like a blockage to him(ir to me honestly) he said for another 200 hed give her another shot or for 1800(half) down hed keep her with him and put her on an iv for up to 5 days. Feels pricey to me being theres still a huge chance @ this point if shes not gna recover she wont and if shes going to she will its been so many days

6. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

It's not sounding to good but dont give up. The FDA is trying to ban collidial silver. The reason is the usual BS It's cheap and it works. Research it. Did the vet give a vitamin B shot? He should sell you the ringers and you can take care of the pup yourself. I know its to late now but before getting or having pups you need to be up on all this before hand. Parvaid, and there is some good info in Faron's book along with Jack's. Also plenty of stuff here on the web. Stay close by and let the pup know you are there for it, talk to it. We've been lucky enough to save 8 out of ten. They had already had three sets of shots but got it anyway. Always check the dates and get a good brand. The vet wanted $800 a pup but ended up selling us the ringers. He also said we would be lucky if a couple made it.Good luck

7. she seems to be doin a little better now, my friend brought over a surenge and a cath and we pumped her full of fluids hardcore all nite and kept giving her small doses of pepto every hour or so instead of big ones spread out she drank a little this morning but threw it back up but tyhe interest is always good to see