1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Passage Of Animal Fighting Bill Is Urged

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Suki, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

[size=+1]????? [/size]
    [size=+1][/size]“Right now there's a big fight over the paraphernalia and puppies,” Giocoppo said. “The legislation would mean police would not have to prove that animals had already been involved in fighting.” :confused: ??????
    [size=+1][/size]
    [size=+1]Passage of animal fighting bill is urged[/size]

By Patrick Anderson, Enterprise correspondent

Supporters of a bill giving police additional powers to control animal fighting are hoping lawmakers will pass the new law before the end of the year.

While current law allows officials to seize animals used in organized fighting, the new bill would allow police to seize dogs and roosters they suspect are being bred or have been bred to produce fighting animals.

The legislation is being reviewed by the House Judiciary Committee. The committee must approve the bill before it can receive a vote.

Scott Giocoppo, an assistant director of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which helped draft the bill, said it would significantly reduce animal fighting by curbing the trade of animals bred to fight.

“Right now there's a big fight over the paraphernalia and puppies,” Giocoppo said. “The legislation would mean police would not have to prove that animals had already been involved in fighting.”

Giocoppo said the bill would have an impact on dog fighting and an even greater impact on cock fighting, as it would allow police to seize eggs from lines of fighting roosters.

The bill's chief sponsor, Rep. Louis Kafka, D-Stoughton, said he was not aware of any public opposition to the bill, but was concerned someone was secretly trying to block it.

Brockton animal control officer Thomas DeChellis said his office has received periodic reports of people orchestrating dog fights, but was not aware of an organized animal fighting operation.

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2006/10/11/news/news/news20.txt

2. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Isn't that a cops job? damn i should be a cop. lmfao
    In that case they should lower a cops wages too.

3. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

Can you really prove that someone is breeding dogs to fight? If it was that easy, wouldn't this have come about a long time ago.... I think this maybe their way of trying to get certain dogs off the street or home, saying he/she fights dogs... Hmmm...

4. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

Let's not... We work hard and get paid very little with little appreciation...

5. Suki

Suki Guest

[​IMG] this is SOOOOOOOOOOOO massachusetts!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

I like your graphics... How did you do that??? What's up with Massachusetts right now??? Alot of crap coming out there lately... Damn Yankees!!! But I like YOU, SUKI!!!

7. simms

simms CH Dog

I hope there is some public opposition!

8. Suki

Suki Guest

the smilies I robbed from my M.C. group, and yes, a LOT of crap from this damn state. It cost so freakin much to live here, you'd think they'd cut us some slack!!!![​IMG]
    and
    like wise!;)

9. simms

simms CH Dog

Nope, not unless they are actualy caught in the act....Otherwise its speculation.

10. simms

simms CH Dog

Suki,

You just need to come on down to Texas :)

11. Suki

Suki Guest

LOL! Yeah, then I could ride 24/7, 365, huh?!!!!!:D
    and likewise Simms, I'm HOPING there's some kind of public oposition! fingers crossed!!!

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Man, that is chilling. When you consider that in historical cases where someone was breeding for gameness, only 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 pups out of a breeding of proven dogs would be game................Sounds like a reciept for wholesale slaughter of Pitbulls and Game cocks.

About what I'd expect in The Peoples Republic of Mass.

13. simms

simms CH Dog

LOL....Seasonal Conditions are more favorable.

14. Marty

Marty Guest

Nope she should be on her way to Ga ;)

15. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Are there any email contacts for this? (The legislators I mean.) Paraphernalia laws scare me, because I typically have breaking sticks, syringes, wide collars, tug toys, springpoles, there's a chain setup in my yard, I'd like to get a treadmill, etc etc etc.

16. simms

simms CH Dog

LOL........:)

17. cheese

cheese Top Dog

where i live they get payed plenty...too much if you ask me. And if you want appreciation you should of picked a different career

18. all this is plain and simple is them trying to pass a law where they could sieze and kill every single pitbull or other dog they dont like in the state,plain and simple.the goal of that law is for them to be able to stop you if your walking down the street with your dog and them be able to take from you and kill it,they will tell you it has all the basis of a fighting dog.and based on it's breed alone they could say was for fighting.there better be some public outcry and quick or no dog or pup will be safe in that land,because they will be able to say you own a fighting dog just beacuse you own a bulldog.this is a pretty pitifull attempt to get rid of our breed as well as others,and if it is allowed there mark my words other states will follow suit.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  19. Suki

Suki Guest

I agree Tex, and I do think that other states will follow suit. My God, (ooops, I said the "G" word), ;) , I really wonder what goes thru the minds of the individuals that come up with this bull. All of this will be based on assumptions, and we all know what assume means....:rolleyes:
    I guess, muzzling, high insurance fees, posted signs, limited # of dogs, blah, blah, blah suddenly isn't good enuff.
    scary.......

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Remember the meaning behind the nursery rhyme lyrics "Upstairs, Downstairs, We all fall down."? If something like this passes, it doesn't matter who you/we are, everyone will lose.