1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pen. G Procaine

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Iverson's Pits, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Do any of you, who use Penicillin G Procaine, inject any way other than intramuscular? 20,000-40,000 u/p/kg is the recommended intramuscular dose...just wondering if anyone goes subcut. and if so at what dose?

2. Attila

Attila Guest

no just use it as directed. It absorbs into the blood stream faster intermuscular. If you were useing a stronger antibiotic I could see going subdermal or subcutanious but there is no benifit to doing it with Penicillin. It would just let it enter the system slower and cause it to be not as effective due to the limited absorbsion. It isn't a vaccine which must go slow to not over welm the ammune system. I hope this helps. You can give it orally though just as you can ivamectin for worms, mites and other living pests. those two meds have two forms of administration oral or intermuscular. Hope this helps.

WB

3. Thanks...i know that in high dosage, PenGPro will actually cause inflamation, clotting, and hemmoraging. I think this is why its not recommended for subdermal...since this area is more suceptable to those conditions....

4. Attila

Attila Guest

That is very correct. never do it that way. Even in a low dose. Thanks for asking such a good question it is something that all should know. Thank you for bringing it up.

WB

5. Here is an honest question:

Why would you choose Penicillin over the easier and more accessible Amoxicillin or Cephalexin?
    I have recently met a few local fanciers that use only injectable Penicillin on all their post hunts.

6. Well....keflex Is Rx Only Around Here...and I'd Love To Continue With Amox...but I've Ran Out. Pen. Is Extremely Accessible Here Due To The Huge Equine Lifestyle In The Area. Where Do You Get Your Amox?

7. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I think most use it because it is, in fact, more accessible than most other antibiotics. You can pick it up OTC at just about any farm supply store, whereas moxy or Cephalexin can be a little harder to obtain without a scrip.

One thing to keep in mind when using injectable pen: it hurts! It can make a dog very needle-shy after a shot or two.

8. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Best way to do this is have someone restrain the dog, one arm under the dogs neck, and the other around the waistline, your hands will face you, so you can pull the dog in close if needed.

Give the shot in the back of the thigh, right in the middle. Make sure you asperate the syringe first to make sure you havent nicked a vessel or anything. Make sure you use a large gauge needle.

9. Glad to help whenever I can. Here is the site where I get mine: http://www.calvetsupply.com/

As you can see, free shipping and you may find many post hunt essential there. As you may know, Amoxicillin and Cephalexin remain what they are regardless of what the use in the bottle says...;)

How the heck are you buddy! I have not seen you logged in a while. Must still be dealing with adjusting to the new place.

Anyway, regarding your statement on needing a prescription for Amoxicillin and Cephalexin...well, you do not need one (prescription) when you buy for fish..;) ...It is the same thing, just different advertisement. Oh by the way, you can also ignore the expiration on these things, I researched and found out it is there for us to buy more not because it spoils.

Rockstar, try finding a farm supply store in my area....lmao!