1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

people biting pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 7mmrowland, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

i agree with both posts, you are inteligent , knowledgable ,responsible,and harmless.you opted to take exception to the general advice ,on a public forum , posted by anonymuos avatars ,aimed at the general public , the same general public that is filling shelters with abused animals, that reads the odd stratton book and wants to play dog man, the kind of person starting this thread, who isnt going to educate them selfs about these dogs, but is going to waiste the life of another dog , cause harm to his family, reinforce a media stereotype aboute the breed, ...and while hes at it, get him self another "game bred dog".its 2010 not 1950 ,the problems today facing this breed are the conflicts arising from the general public being introduced on a mass scale to the game bred pitbull in the late 70s..supply and demand, ...the more tall tails you tell the more the demand, combine that with an ignorant public educated through a stratton book, and you have the script for a b grade disaster movie....before long we have the lowest common denominator ,causing headlines around the world leading to breed bans around the world.... simply look at the individuals involved in these incidents..... look who is owning this breed today,.. look who is being attracted to these dogs today....it is not my goal to try and maintain parity with these people by promoting an oposite view..there not interested, ..they wouldnt do it right even if they were... its being proven every day around the world sadly.qualitative thinking applied to a quantitative thinker..doesnt work. ... these people scan through hundreds of forum posts looking to find what they want to find...and use only that info to base their knowledge on....reread the op...its as clear as day...he has no interest in researching, learning ,or taking what hes heard in subjectively...hes learning only those things which reinforce his own ignorance...."i thought the standard says these dogs are safe around kids."..? its tragic!...i have no idea who im influencing on a public forum ....but on a site titled GAMEDOG.COM...i can have an idea of the type of individual attracted to the title.. and any post i make is with the lowest common denominator in mind.... sadly i think we are all promoting the same message with these dogs...were just not clear on what information is for who,..and when it should be given..good luck with your family and your dogs.

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

good posts Zoe and Tigerlines. that's what all i was thinking, but couldn't put into good words.

3. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

gorilla, was it the frank or the beans , or the frank and beans?....LMFAO

4. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Wow. Zoe's on your mind hard huh, buddy? Not to defend her or anything but it's my understanding that she DOESN'T place dogs because she DOESN'T trust the GP with em if im wrong let me know. Y'all see i aint posted on this thread in a while because the OP is an idiot who is just starting trouble and y'all are feeding into his bullshit. But Gorilla you are actually being unfair to Zoe because she is one of the few people I would trust with a bulldog, SHE"S proved herself, you on the other hand I don't know about yet.

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My venue is two fold. Raising the breed as family dogs, and because I have been very successful in that regard, taking in dogs that other people can't freakin' handle and evaluting them to determine if they have what it takes to remain here or euthing them. The ones that make the cut, get to live out their life here, responsibley managed, and having a hell of time enjoying what we have to offer here as enriching activities. They get the best vet care, diet, managment and they get ''worked'' so their drives are fullfilled and they will NEVER be a headline like they were on their way to being in the hands of others. I do not, will not, EVER place dogs with the public. I do not breed and sell dogs to the public. I spend a LARGE part of my time not only fighting BSL, and animal rights groups, but councelling pet owners who are in over their heads and helping them make hard choices, or if I can convince them to release the dog, edcuating them on how to run their household so they can be successful as I am and not add another black mark on the breed. I did my stint in rescue, not doing placements, but EVALUTATING dogs, and potential adopters as I thought it better someone like me was involved who was hard ass on dogs AND people, but it didn't take long for me to realize I was not the same as most ''rescue'' folk as I understand the breed, and their needs and I don't pretend they are something they are not and I had no interest in sugar coating but only in EDUCATING. A REAL EDUCATION which most rescue people try to shuffle under the carpet and that did not sit well with me. As well, I was not interested in saving dogs, I was interested in saving the breed, so I retired as I no longer wanted to be connected to the reality of rescue as it wasn't doing the breed any good IMO and I would rather see a dog dead than in the ''typical'' pet home. So now, I continue to do what I enjoy doing, and had been doing before becoming involved in any sort of ''official rescue capacity'' and that is honestly, benefiting from other people's ignorance and stupidity. Most dogs that have lived their lives out here, started as one of those dogs you see in the headlines but they, and the breed, were lucky that they found sanctuary here instead.

Sorry about your pecker. :p

6. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Just to add, every now and then, when I feel I have the resources, time and space, I seek out a game bred pup to add to my yard, so I can have a chance to lay my hands upon and work from scratch with a piece of this breeds history I have dedicated half my life to studying. The pups are not breeding prospects and their offspring will never find their way into the hands of the public. They are for my enjoyment only.

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

No, I did not. I would never accuse someone of, or assume someone was using their dogs for illegal activities, nor would I care if they were. It's none of my business. For all I know, you could be Wayne Pacelle on her diggin for info. ;) I go with the assumption when I'm online that NO ONE is who they say they are unless I know them personally. I'm here to read info on health, management, history, BSL, etc... and maybe share some things I have learned along the way. That's it.

8. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Excuse me for repeatedly adding to my comment, but I'm a multitasker and often have to step away. ;)

I would absolutely LOVE to get into hunting with my dogs and I think I'd have a couple good ones here and it'd be wicked fun, but the thing is, there aren't many hogs running around the city streets in Canada. The only ones are the RCMP and I don't imagine setting my dogs on them would do me or the breed any good. :D

9. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

LMAO, no cape here brother, I don't save em. BUT i do give credit where credit is due. Just like if i knew you from your posts (which i'm getting to know and we happen to agree with a few things so far) and Zoe came at you wrong I would do the same thing. Don't get it twisted.

10. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

What I will NOT do is agree with or defend the OP's dumb ass, but everybody knows Zoe's stand on the dogs and how she feels about them and her kids and since YOU'RE the one who WAS comming at her as if she was part of the problem I just wanted to state that you were wrong that's all. When I say I'm not sure about you yet it just means that I don't automatically just say hey he/she's a good person to place a dog with. The OP's been a member here for a little while but I wouldn't give him a betta fish let alone a bulldog. Oh and my stamp of approval means nothing I'm just saying that being that I'm stingy when it comes to dogs (I ain't placing none with nobody and I think the breed needs to fade out of the spotlight and people who aint into them dont need to EVER get one) the fact that I would trust Zoe to keep one out of the headlines means a lot to me.

11. nah.uhh

nah.uhh Pup

Zoe would kill mayday jeep and Eli, if they were snappy
    dogs. You only want mush, I appreciate you fighting BSL
    but it isn't limited to the APBT, you can fight bsl as shitzu
    owner. Check the homepage, maybe you should but
    crappy chowchow stock and improve that buy killing ones
    that you don't like... I'd hate to find out you killed a
    gamebred pup because it was too highstrung. You don't
    even breed, handle, wor or hunt your "apbts", you
    shouldn't be buying. Go adopt. If your dogs are adopted,
    STOP CALLING THEM APBTS, they were not born apbts and
    they damn well shouldn't be if/when they hurt somebody.
    I'm not saying the WORKING dogs aren't great with people,
    they are bred to work with us. You are saying
    that people who breed dogs to hunt boar should
    breed for temperament as their #1??? And have a bunch of
    dead dogs instead of hogs when they go hunt huh..
    Or how about breeding race horses that loved children, but
    lost every race? Fk your "culling" program, crap is on par
    with petas. The way you deem dogs HA is EXTREMELY
    SIMILAR to that of HSUS ect.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  12. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Im gonna throw this out there only couse know Im being called a dumbass moron and shouldnt own a baita fish and only here to couse trouble so may as well add to it I guess. Anyone hear of a tite bred Plot bear hound having issues with temperment and biting people couse they have plenty of drive, high strung and have to be able to take on a 400lb pissed off bear head on and Ive seen these dog get hauled to vet with guts hangin out broked bones of all sorts. I guess having working ability and haveing brains isnt alway needed and is acceptable to some. My pitbull that bit my kid had great working ability in my eyes she could trail and chase rabits tree squirrls and if fesable she was climbing the dam tree to get em. Shot a deer and seen if could track it couse i seen where it ran and died I brought her to the place were I made the shoot, she immediatly picked up the trail and went straight to the deer after guttin the deer we walk back to the truck on the way she flushed to pheasants in the tall yellow grass wish my buddy who has GSH's was there couse he thinks these dogs are worthless. Just to add I wonce threw a stick put int to stock pond she swam out to fetch it the stick sunk, guess what she dove under and come back up with that stick I about shit myself. Problem was she began to get HA in small increment increasing every week to were she was growling at people when in my car. So she had hunting or working ability was I just sapose to leave her at home in a kennel? Was the HA by fault? If wouldnt have been my kid it woulda been someone else what good is a dog like that?

13. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

The dog never should have had a CHANCE to bite your kid, it should have already been in the ground sleeping peaceful like.

14. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

It's all good. And I don't expect everyone to think the same, do the same but was just pointing out that SOME people can do things differently and STILL do them well.

I'm actually a homeschooling, stay at home mum, as one of my kids has CF and takes alot of care. So ''the dogs'' are what we do ALL day inbetween or along with the schooling, chores and CF care, so they are exposed to each other all bloody day. lol

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

That, in bold, is exactly NOT what I said if you had actually bothered read it. What I said was IF PEOPLE ARE SELLING TO THE PUBLIC AND TO ''pet'' homes, which a TON of people ARE and if they don't realize it, they aren't asking the right questions. It is easy as pie for ANYONE to get a game bred pup and they are all the rage now and if people don't start realizing that and either taking it into consideration when breeding their stock or CLOSING THEIR DAMN YARDS, THEY are adding to the problem just as the pet bull folks who are taking their damn dogs to the dog park. I've already stated that if someone is keeping their dogs as working/sporting stock and just keeping them between working/sporting folks, breed what you need to do the job. It isn't mine or anyone else's business BUT it's the breeders that are releasing dogs to the GP that I'm concerned about. Trust me, I would LOVE to see every game breeder out there close their yards. In fact, I fully and completely ENCOURAGE it as I think it is one of the many steps needed to keep the dogs out of the spotlight. I don't expect my dogs to be MUSH with anything except people. I have dogs here that would happily kill each other, but are great with people and THOSE are the kinds of dogs that suit MY needs so that's what I cull for. I would have zero issue with someone culling a dog that didn't hunt for them so why should anyone care what I do or don't do if someone saw fit to pass on a dog to me? I make VERY clear to anyone who I'm talking to about a pup what I'm looking for, what I will cull for, etc... and some people are fine with it and some probably aren't and that's ok. I have actually discussed the fact with people that I would hate to get a pup that had the potential to be successful in another venue and add to the breed in other ways but I have to cull it because it isn't suitable for my needs, so I don't fully disaggree with you there but at the same time, whatever dogs wind up in my hands for whatever reason are working for ME not you or anyone else and I feed what I need, not what someone else needs. I wouldn't kill a pup because it's too high strung. I'd kill a pup for redirected aggression, dominance aggression, food/possesion aggression, etc.. all direct a people as that's just not what I need around here. I LOVE high strung, driven dogs, as long as they fit into this criteria. I live in a free country, at least reasonabley so, so it's my right to do what I want with my property, is it not?

As far as the dogs I've had/have, I've had everything pass through my hands from game bred dogs, to ''pet'' bulls, to SBT, to AST, to APBT non game dogs, to dogos x American Bull dogs, etc... and the one thing the dogs had in common that have remained behind was that they were going to be culled by others because they were ''too much dog'' but somehow I see to manage them. Go figure.

Sorry, I'm not into chows or shitzu's but thanx for the advice as no doubt their breed could use a house cleaning as well. ;)

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

You know.. the OP totally had the right instincts. His first reaction would have been mine. Cull the dog. He had alot of conflicting info coming at him though and he was no doubt hesitant, as I've felt with some dogs, as it's hard to see a dog good in some ways, but failing the owners needs in others and often, it's so subtle, it's hard to tell if you are over reading things, especially with a dog that is maturing. There are fear stages to consider. The fact that even as some dogs mature they might display some odd behaviour but as they settle into adulthood it passes. Things are not ALWAYS black and white with dogs and all you can do is try to determine to the best of your ability if the dog will work for you or not. It's not an exact science.

17. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

And a little something for nah.uhh to read, written by Maydays owner...

I'd actually LOVE to give a Mayday pup a shot at my house, as this is the kind of research I do before I get a pup, I talk to people, I ask questions about traits the line displays, the traits they don't, etc.... I don't go looking into a line that is known to display traits I'm not looking for. I want a pup to succeed at my house so I seek out dogs that are bred in a way that will increase that chance of success.

I bet there are more people than you realize on here with game bred dogs as house dogs who also have children. ;)

18. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

If he was doubting the dog then it shouldn'ta been around the kid IMO. In the same situation, I would have just made sure they did not come in contact with each other until this "stage" or whatever made me think differently passed, and if it didn't passed then I would have done what I had to. As hard as you make it seem its really not at the end of the day.

19. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i think some people are forgetting the second most important part of the history of these dogs, they are great family pets.infact they are just about the best you can find.
    there is a reason they were given roles as a family dog, i understand with the whole bsl thing there is reason to be protective about you dogs but at the end of the day you dont leave any child unatended with a cat let alone a dog.
    no one here has said they leave their kids unatended at any stage and even the op has said when his attacked he was in the room. it isnt a matter of him being irresponsible on the supervisional role, if anything he should have had more experience with understanding the signs his dog would have given before it happened and im sure there were signs, as when it comes to Apbts attacking people in their own home there allways is, they may not be as easy to see as other breeds but they are allways there.

if the parent is dumb enough to leave a child with the dog and an attck happens it should be the parent who is put down not the animal.

as much as this is my opinion, i will say i have never ever came across a truly ha apbt on any yard with multipule dogs and i would say this is wholely because they dogmen that owned the dogs culled very hard and moved forward instead of keeping such a dog alive.

every ha apbt ive seen has been a byb dog with a moron owner whos program consisted of putting any two random dogs together for a litter to make a quick buck.

20. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Ya, I don't disagree. I would have done the same. I guess I was trying to analyse the possible ''why's'' behind his not taking immediate action.