1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

PetSmart Charities Just A Buck Campaign/Weight pull event

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by MagnumKennels, Aug 11, 2008.

1. A group of members from the Western Carolina APBT Club will be hosting a fun weight pull event at the Hickory, NC PetSmart. This will not be a Fun Show for the Club. It is only a local community event to raise money to fight euthanasia. Located off Interstate 40, exit 125. If you are going west, turn left at light and then Turn right at 4th light (do not count the light at exit). If you are going east, turn right off exit. Turn right at 3rd light. Donations will stay in NC and help re home homeless cats/dogs. We want to help the community with this campaign, not only this but what better way to get them interested in our Breed positively. This event will also be open to all breeds. Plan on doing seminars, kiddy pulls, penny a pound pulled and much more. We would like to invite everyone to come out and support this great cause. If you would like to bring your dog, please make sure you represent the Breed positively.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Sydney

Sydney Big Dog

Me and Syd will be there!! I thought it was on the 31st??? Either way we will be there...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  3. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I might make it to this one.

4. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Neat idea for an event! That's a good way to bring attention to the club, and to give something back other than just worrying about the next sanctioned show.

5. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

That's awesome, good luck!

6. Thank you all for you interest in this event. It is only a one day event, so please come out if you can make it. The weight pull track will be set up inside the store and is the same one Western Carolina will use for all shows. We want to ensure the dogs stay cool and out of the sun. I'm hoping to get Rude Dawg Kennels to bring some collars to sale. If they agree, a portion of these sales will go to the charity event. I'll also see if I can get some weight pull harnesses also, with a portion of the sales also going to the event. Twiztid Edition Kennelz is trying to get some of their famous wood burnings up to the event too. Once again, a portion of these sales will go the event.

We hope to meet new people and bring some light to the Breed. Come out and support not us, but the wonderful BREED that we all LOVE!

7. WoodsEdge

WoodsEdge Pup

I don't know who the person or persons are that agreed to do this but do they have any idea where the money is going? Burke County Friends for Animals will recieve a large portion of the proceeds. BCFA is strongly lobbying for an anti-tethering law. If this law passes we will not be able to keep a dog on a chain even in a kennel.
    I have at least one dog I will have to put down. I had him in a 10' x 10' kennel I purchased at Tractor Supply. He chewed through the chain link. If I had not had the common sense to also have had him on a chain my yard would not have been a pretty site. If this law passes that will be illegal.
    BCFA also convicted, in the press, a pit owner of dog fighting when they did not know where the dog came from or who the owner was. Go to Pit Bull Chat and read about Phantom.
    And a club is supporting an organization that is against local pit bull owners????????

8. Sydney

Sydney Big Dog

so are you saying we should all just sit at home and be angry???...why don't we instead use this as an opportunity to show people that dogs can be tethered responsibly, and that it doesn't make a dog vicious...bring pictures and posters and children and pictures of your dogs and your children...anything positive. Fight fire with fire...

9. Sydney

Sydney Big Dog

infact if you all send me pictures of your responsibly tethered dogs and children playing with them I would be more then happy to make the poster up and take it with me on Sunday...common people send me your pictures

kncountryman@gmail.com

please send good quality photos for printing!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  10. WoodsEdge

WoodsEdge Pup

No we should not just sit home, we have a fight on our hands. But isn't it a little stupid to contribute to someone that is against you??
    And like I posted on the other board, Sidney, What dream world are you living in???

11. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Maybe if enough people express their disapproval, the club will donate the profits to a local rescue instead. Or maybe to a spay/neuter clinic. Or a group that provides help to pet owners in times of diaster. Something like that.

12. WoodsEdge

WoodsEdge Pup

That I would agree to and be more than happy to donate to.

13. Not to get everyone stirred up in the wrong way, but I posted this event only to get pitbull owners to come out to the event, not donate. Most people do not hear anything good about this breed but the negative shown on the local news due to irresponsible owners. By us being at PetSmart we can interact with the public, show them what our dogs are really about, plus its open to all breeds. I don't have to mention how so many people look for an outlet for their dog with pent up energy and with the registries becoming all breed they can learn about weight pull, a positive outlet for that energy when educated on how to. The more people we get to come out and represent the breed the correct way, the better. As to where the money raised going to support, well it will cover the whole state of North Carolina, not one specific organization. As far as the humane society in question, I will not debate right or wrong as they are not here and able to follow through with questioning. I will state that we are participating in this event for the ANIMALS, not the organization. Our goal to help them anyway we can!!

Here is how the donations collected will help (straight from PetSmart's Just A Buck, Change Their Luck flyer):
    $1 immunizes a pet against a life-threatening illness
    $5 provides an ID tag for one pet
    $10 rescues pets during times of disaster
    $15 provides formula for foster puppies
    $20 offsets the cost to spay/neuter one pet

Donations will fund spay/neuter programs, adoptions, education programs and more for local welfare organizations. They will distribute the donations evenly for all organizations that actively work with PetSmart.

14. --I finally found out who you are today and I cannot wait to meet you and Sydney. We should have a great turn out for this event as they have been going through 180 flyers a day. People are starting to come in to get flyers to distribute theirselves, talk about an outreach. See you Sunday!

15. WoodsEdge

WoodsEdge Pup

Will you be holding another one when your Catawba County Humane Society decides they want to pass an anti-tethering law?