1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit bull another victim of human arrogance

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Phoenix, AZ -- A good friend and I differ about what should be done with the notorious pit bull breed of dog.

My friend believes the breed should be destroyed. Because this dog has been bred over the years to have its particular "qualities," he feels that those qualities are now part of the dog, regardless of its upraising and treatment by its owner. Additionally, my friend has a circumstance in his own neighborhood, and his peace of mind and safety are threatened by this very breed.

My friend is probably correct in believing that breeding creates instincts. It is all too frequent that we hear of the docile pet that suddenly turns vicious and mauls someone.
    advertisement

The original instinct in all animals is propagation of the species. If you put two of the proper gender together, nature will usually take its course. However, the selective breeding that has produced the pit bull is a result of a human desire to create a dog with a particular set of characteristics. If the arrogance of human nature is going to be allowed the liberty of such meddling, it should also be responsible, and liable, for its care.

We have many laws, rules, regulations and ordinances in place that were meant to address just such occasions. But they fail in much the same the way as traffic violations for speeding.

The traffic laws are compromised before you get in your car because law enforcement allows a few miles per hour over the speed limit. If we are ticketed for speeding, the fine for something that has the potential to kill is ludicrous. On the other hand, if we allow our vehicle registration to expire - non-lethal - we are socked with an unwarranted, excessive fine.

Our laws regarding the ownership of pit bulls, a breed created by humans, are not properly enforced, and the fines are not in line with the seriousness of the offense.

Enforce the laws strictly, impose commensurate, severe penalties, and eventually the breed will expire when human apathy is cornered.

As to my friend's situation, where he is threatened during his walks through his own neighborhood, I suggested he take responsibility for himself.

He could petition his neighborhood for support, present the findings to the local authority, and await the results. Or he could carry his own protection. If the dogs in question escape their chain-link restraint, he would be but defending himself with well-placed lead sedatives. His objection to either of these proposals declared his standing with the current state of America.

We are a nation that thinks problems and responsibilities belong to someone else. Watch the news and you see the results.

A question we hear almost every day is, "What's this world coming to?" It is coming to what we have made and allowed it to become - much the same as the pit bull. - Dana Pence, Show Low

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005