1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pit bull/shar pei stray showing aggression/Tucson,AZ

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by swoozeeinc, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I found a dog about 3 months ago and found him
    a home. Their roommate called a said he was being severely neglected so I took him back.
    He is showing some aggressive actions. My neighbor was over and rubbing
    Judges(dog's name and shar-pei/pitbull
    mix), neck and face with both hands in a playful manner and talking to him and
    Judge growled and she kept on playing with him because she thought he was making a playful noise and he lunged towards her and bit her jacket collar. A similar thing happened at the vets.The doctor took his head in both hands and looked him in the eye while talking to him and he growled, but didn't lunge toward her because she stopped right away. Another time, a neighbor kid was rubbing his belly but rather aggressively and he growled at her. He seems to not like his head being played with or being rubbed too hard. Do you think he is adoptable?
    My family wants me to euthanize him, but I think if he is adopted to someone that will work with him, with no kids or dogs, he will make a great dog. I have never played with him aggressively and he has always been great and loving His full story is on petpetfinders.org.
    http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5978544
    Thanks so much!
    Susie

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

he's doing this because he has gotten away with it,,I am not much into rehab if they are biting,,but,,growling can possibly be worked with,,he needs obedience and corrected when he does growl,,don't pass that problem onto someone else unless they know what they are doing,,someone could get hurt and that is not worth it. If u did nothing when he growled or showed aggression,,he then got away with it again. Call a reputable traininer in your area,,it doesen't have to be alot of money for them to show u what to do.

3. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

If you are not going to keep the dog yourself and really work with it then you should euthanize it. There are to many good dogs with NO problems in shelters that are not a risk that get euthed everyday.

4. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

I agree with HVK.What if those people have neices,nephews,or grandchildren?Or he gets out and hurts someone?It's your responsibility.Some times your choices are hard but it's all for the best in the end.People just can't stop having company cause of a dog.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Shar pei's are not good mixes with Pitbulls, neither are other dogs who are natually a bit leary of humans (Rottweilers, Dobermans, some Mastiff breeds, Chows, etc). I know of a few mutts with this combo and they were good dogs, but I know just as many who have the drive as a pitbull, without the loving nature our breed is known for.

6. lil_bit807

lil_bit807 Big Dog

I agree with all above. I have a female that is very fun loving with myelf and family but to those she doesn't know she is a little gun shy. She has snarled a bit but never snapped or lunged at anyone. With some obedience and discipline, she has gooten better. However, I would never feel comfortable giving her or allow someone else to have the dog. Not only that she is my baby and she is my problem. If she were ever to lunge or snap at anyone, I wouldn't hesitate to put her down.

7. simms

simms CH Dog

Well, what you describe .....is a accident waiting to happen! If the first incedent with this dog didn't clue you in, then the second should. Not likely that you can place this dog in a secure type inviorment, with ppl that can or will handle this dog. IMO offer that animal a humain demise.

Think about the possibility of that animal mauling a child.....good luck.