1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit Bull shot 26 times NYC

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by maryellen1, Jul 25, 2006.

1. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

July 25 2006 http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/437672p-368722c.html

Cops 'justified' to shoot pit bull 26 times

BY MADISON J. GRAY and ROBERT F. MOORE
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Cops involved in the killing of a pit bull in a Bronx apartment building will reenact the shooting for investigators trying to figure out why it took 26 bullets to subdue the attacking dog, a police source said.
    Police chiefs said NYPD procedures were followed in the shooting in a hallway early yesterday that left one cop bitten and three other officers with graze wounds from what officials called friendly fire.

"The shooting was justified, period," said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne. "As with any shooting, the tactics employed, including the number of shots fired, will be examined by the firearms review board."

The four patrolmen and a sergeant will reconstruct the wild shooting at Rodman's Neck, the NYPD's firing range. A date hasn't been set.

Police were called late Saturday to 480 Concord Ave., Port Morris, on a report of a tenant-landlord dispute that involved a teen smoking pot at the building.

The suspect, Lenin Acevedo, who turned himself in hours later and was charged with marijuana possession, ran from his sixth-floor apartment to another flat on the fourth floor.

Acevedo kicked in the door and a pit bull named Cookie came sprinting into the hallway, witnesses said.

The dog locked its jaws around one officer's leg just after midnight, drawing at least two of the cops to fire from their 9-mm. service weapons. The graze wounds, a police source said, were suffered from ricochet gunfire.

"He was a good dog," said a 12-year-old boy whose family owned the pit bull. "He never bit anybody in his life."

The boy, whose relatives asked that his name be withheld, said he was in his bedroom playing with a PlayStation when the suspect ran into his apartment.

"They killed my dog and didn't say they were sorry," the boy said, adding that authorities seized a puppy from the apartment.

A witness said the dog was shot at least 10 times.

Authorities wouldn't identify the cops involved, but a source said the three wounded patrol officers were rookies.

One officer was hit in the leg and abdomen by bullet fragments. A second cop was grazed in the right leg, and another was bitten in the left leg.

A sergeant was clipped in the ankle.

The cops were taken to Lincoln Hospital, and all were in stable condition yesterday.

Meanwhile, the brain tissue of the dead dog was being tested for rabies.

"This is disgusting," said the 12-year-old boy's aunt, who wouldn't give her name. "What can you say about a situation like this?"

With Melissa Grace and Bob Kappstatter

Originally published on July 24, 2006

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Three rookies, 26 bullets, 1 (overly) dead dog, and wounded police officers. Sounds like a good formula for the public to wake-up to the injustices our breed faces daily.

Riptora likes this.
  3. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

yes, true, but , the media will only see that the dog "needed to be shot 26 times to stop it" even if its not true... they wont see the real deal.. only that a pit bull was involved

4. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

so true....of course they had to add the "locked his jaws on officers leg" in it

idiots!

5. sounds like they had a bunch of trigger happy morons who were so desperate to shoot something and gain attention that they ended up shooting there selfs.it doesn't take 26 bullets of any caliber to kill a dog or a person let alone from a 9 mm 1 bullet will do the trick if you life is indeed in danger,wich i don't think it was.i am looking at it from the dogs point of view though.the dog was probably in the bedroom with the boy when this dope fiend kicked the door down wich spooked the dog who ran out the door and seen a lot of people in black or dark blue running in crashing into each other with guns drawn wich probably spooked it even more and it more than likely bit out of fear and it was more than likely cornered in the hallway.they could have taken 2 seconds and told the boy or the parents to come and take hold of the dog,i mean it was a dope fiend not a nationally wanted serial killer.

laurajean likes this.
  6. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TEXAS PIT DOGS again". lol...thats what i was thinking too

7. you didn't know them Pitbulls can lock their jaws.....

8. they cant it is just a myth to try and scare the public so they can try and have a easier time to ban them.they cant lock their jaws they dont have 2,000 psi in their jaws.just a bunch of propaganda

9. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I think its all a big lie,,someone would have to prove to me this dog came out and went for this cops leg,,and of course he locked his jaws on him.

10. Ch.Hog05

Ch.Hog05 Pup

The dog locked its jaws around one officer's leg just after midnight, drawing at least two of the cops to fire from their 9-mm. service weapons.

Total bullshit, 26 shots that is insane. I figured the media would blow it out od proportion with comments like the one above. When it said they were going to take tests of the dogs brain to see it it was rabid, WTF? I think any dog would have done the same if someone kicked in the door.

11. DBlock

DBlock Pup

The dog ran out of the open door because the guy that they were chasing ran in the apartment and left it open. The dog bit the cop because as soon as it ran out of the apartment they beat it up. It was just trying to defend itself. Oh Yeah and they also left out the fact that the cops shot it almost 2 doz more times after it was already down.

12. one of the most stupid news reports i've ever seen...

26 times?????? GIVE ME A BREAK.... 1 clean shot and the dog is gone, simple as that.
    either way it wasnt even right to shoot the dog... someone FORCEFULLY came into the house, ofcourse the dog is going to go into defensive mode...

jesus.. the world is full of some dumbass people now adays.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The dog "locked its jaws," but yet they had to fire 26 times to hit it?

14. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Rookie cops. That says it all. They panicked.

15. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

and not a word about endangering the lives of the 12 year old owner of the dog. Or the other residents of the apartment. The cops were shooting up an apartment building to catch a pot smoker? Who kicked in some innocent people's door? Lucky they only shot each other and the dog and not anyone else.
    So that is what you face in New York City. Police procedure is to shoot up anyplace that has a dog willing to protect the occupants...(don't they have gun control in NYC?)So only the cops and the outlaws have guns. Good luck citizens!

16. Attila

Attila Guest

Exactly, but with cops like that they are the outlaw and the law at one time.

My rant begins
    I think if some one busted through my door and some one chasing that person got nailed by my dog. First back up some one bust through on of my doors he is going back out that door faster than he came in. And if any jack wad shot my dog even once they are burger. Those cops indangered every living person in that building and killed an innocent dog trying to get out. If the cop got bit good so what it don't hurt that dang bad. Give it a shot of mace and move on. We did it in ops so can these pork rinds. If dude ran into an apartment building and went into an apartment where the hell is he going to go then. Calm the hell down and think. These cops deserve the rope. Fire them, strip them and toss their butts in prision for reckless indangerment of civilians and animal abuse and cruelty. There should have not been one shot fired in that senerio. Even in combat we don't get worked up over a dang dog. City cops. It doesn't sound like it is safe enough to live in NY. I would move away. There are millions of other places to live. Those cops deserved to be shot too bad they lived. I have friends that are cops but if they acted like this I sure as hell wouldn't save them. I would help hunt them down out in some hay field because that stuff is just plain stupid. I have never out side of an armored tank seen any thing that needed to be shot more than once or twice to put down. Three is excessive waste. 26 is insane. [​IMG]

My rant ends for now.

17. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

hmmm,,, sounds like they need different officers,,, they peed they're pants and was sliding around and couldn't hit the dog,,,,sad ain't it,,,lol,,,cowards i say

18. Attila

Attila Guest

ya. Stupid cowards that is for sure. shooting in a hallway of an apartment building full of people sounds right next to idiot sevont stupid.

19. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

Sort of brings to mind the story, several years back, where the same force killed an innocent man with 41 bullets. Guess they must be getting their practice in by using the dog as a prelude to their next victim.

More locking jaws syndrome... huh?

20. Attila

Attila Guest

41 killed him eh! Dang they must have been trying to hide the evidence. Bunch of doughnut eaters standing around going duh err what body boss? I don't see no body, you see a body. some one must of dropped the salami. mental note to self this hick has no need to visit NY. I will cross that off my wish list. crossing off getting pummeled with bullets in NY. Yah that would have been a real event. Hey kids lets go get shot up by a gang in uniforms. Yah weee that sound fun dad. :eek: :rolleyes: