1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pitter Patt vs Patterdales

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by NewSchoolDogMan, Dec 26, 2010.

1. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

I have made a cross, but the puppies are only 14 days old now.
    Dam is my 9 years old APBT female. I have used her on wild boar over many years. Also her 14 years old mother.
    Sire is my 1,5 years old Patterdale male. He is not proven but tested, and has shown some very good abilities.
    I have made the cross, because I need one or two bigger dogs who are able to stop a wild boar. My APBTs are too old now for hard work.
    I hope there are some good ones in the litter.
    ...Time will tell.

2. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

good luck. we love our crossbred dogs and all that lived to adulthood have shown to be good hunters so far with better nose that most of the "purebred" patterdales we've seen.

3. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

That's interesting, because my Patterdale male lacks finding, too. But also I have some with a good nose...
    If the offspring will have a good nose like your cross, I will be very happy.
    Both parents are very strong, with a hard mouth and a sure grip, the only thing that has made me uncertain was the bad nose of the male.

4. benthere

we used a male patterdale over a bulldog bitch. the male we used is a very good locater and has proven to an excellent hunting dog. i was only talking about patterdales in general as far as nose. with bulldogs some may have a very good nose and many others can't smell their own asses. bulldogs have never been bred for "nose" as you well know, i was surprised to find that the crossed dogs could locate so well. this probably has something to do with their hunt drive which is spectacular. they like to hunt like a good bulldog likes the box. so far we have been lucky as the crossed dogs have shown no more inclination to fight than most patterdales. so far i love the cross. also a couple of friends have bred the crossed dogs to terriers and the size and type reverted right back to a terrier.

5. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Ah, it's converse to my breeding. The Bulldog female has the good nose and the Patterdale male lacks it. But the male has some ancestors who were good finder, so I have a chance to get 2 or 3 good once from the litter.
    About the inclination to fight, both are very friendly with other dogs and never start a fight. If an other dog attack them they open the throttle, but only to the point where the other dog surrender.

6. culabula

culabula Big Dog

Best of luck with your litter snake-i also made a similar breeding last weekend-i covered my plummer/pitbull bitch with a patterdale from booth lines(there is a picture of him on j%j patterdales website:red rocket page).Id say the offspring off your apbt/patterdale should be very good badger dogs and excellent broodstock to breed back to patterdale in future years.I looked at your males pedigree on THL-very good breeding-very linebred to nuttalls penny if you go back far enough.

7. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

8. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

3.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    3 weeks old now. The first bone ;-)

9. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

10. sport

sport Pup

benthere where are you located ?sounds like we hunt about the same critters as you. we also hit on a bobcat at least once a season.

11. sport

sport Pup

benthere sounds like we play the same game as you... where are you located ?

12. benthere

upper midwest USA.

13. jacko

jacko CH Dog

any of you lot had any success with "bell" dogs ?

14. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

i like terriers that hunt far not close to you.. like a jagd terrier, they hunt far like hounds do. where as my dog hunts close to me and sometimes he runs with the dogs. so how did the pitbull patt cross go, do they stay close

15. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i dont mean "belle" dogs from oregon, i mean bell from cumbria nr ullswater . he used to be a gamekeeper !

16. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Don't know how the cross will work, but I have seen both in both breeds. I have a Patterdale female who works close to me and an APBT-female who do it, also I have some who hunts far away or mix it.
    But there is a higher percentage of dogs who works far away....

17. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

you know the way i see it, the more scent type the dog is the more it will hunt far just by feeling the urge to track scent... the less its bred for scent than it would only hunt far when it sees a prey and chases it. like a running dog will walk with you untill he sees a rabbit than he will take off. but a hound will take off when it smells something. a jagd is well balanced.. same as other terriers. a bulldog will run medium to right next to you till he sees something. and it all depends on the training as well.. like if a dog has been running with beagle since it was a pup.

now i dont have much experience and in regards to running dogs and hunting with apbt, my experience is even smaller lol i used to take my pitbull rabbit hunting for couple of months. saw some running dogs hunt. and one year hunting with scent hound and 2 years with terriers. some im still a baby lol

18. sport

sport Pup

well fella's were gonna find out, here is a 3/4 patt 1/8 pitt. he will be a yr old on 7/4/11 will see how his locating is this fall on coons. he has plenty of fire on game now will see if he can do it on his own this fall and make the team.

[​IMG]

19. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

@ Blackpoison
    My "100% Old Nuttall" female is always searching the quarry. She is running left, running right and running far away. And she has given it to her offspring.
    Most of my other dogs works closer to me.
    It's nice to have a dog who is always searching, but you have to wait for it many hours, if there is no quarry in the near.

20. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

What's the other 3/8th's? Lol