1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

poor puppy

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by jillian, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jillian

jillian Pup

I found this on Francis is a very special dog in need of a very special home. She as an 1 ½ year (approximately) pit bull. She was rescued in late August of this year from a horrible situation. The first few days that we had Francis, she was unable to walk because she had been beaten so badly; and unfortunately that wasn’t the worst of it. She had holes in her neck from being hanged by a pinch collar, and the wounds were badly infected from not being treated. She also had bite marks on her body and neck from being fought. When Francis came to our rescue she was on deaths door, but because of her strong spirit and loving disposition, she was able to pull through. She is a true miracle. This dog has been through hell in her short lifetime – yet another tragic case of pit bull abuse. Francis is truly an inspiration; despite her horrendous past, she is an outstanding girl!

We are a very small rescue organization that takes in one or two dogs at a time. Francis has been an absolute joy to have in our home, and she will terribly missed. She just finished a 7 week basic obedience course at the Academy of Canine Behavior; has been spayed; is current on all of her vaccines; and best of all, her neck is totally healed, with minimal scarring.

Because of Francis’ abuse-filled past she has very special issues that need to be taken into careful consideration by prospective homes. Francis cannot live with any other animals – with no exceptions. She was made to fight by being treated very cruelly, because of this she has a very high prey drive. This is not likely at all to change since the abuse occurred so violently and at such a young age. A gate from the other animals in our home separates her, and even though she has lived our other dogs for the past 4 months, she cannot be trusted around them. Francis is not a mean-hearted dog – she has just been through a lot. She did well in obedience class; however, she had to be closely watched around the other dogs. All other dog owners in the class were made aware of Francis’ issues and stayed at least 4 feet away from us at all times. That being said, she can be controlled, she just can’t be off leash around any other animals. Because of this issue, she can only be placed in a home with a confident owner that is not afraid to be assertive, and takes her aggression towards other animals very seriously. Francis is not a yard dog – she should never be left in a yard unattended. She does really well in a city environment where dogs are on leash all of the time. Francis would do very well living in an apartment – she is very laid back and loves to sleep! She is really only concerned with a few things; snuggling with people; her chew toys and peanut butter filled kongs; and napping in front of a heater.

Francis is excellent with people once she learns that they can be trusted. She is one of the most loving, and affectionate dogs I have ever known. Francis has been given no good reason to trust a human being, and yet she does. She has a bit of a harder time trusting men than women, since multiple men abused her. However, she is great with men once she warms up, and realizes they are not going to hurt her. The only person she has shown any aggression towards is her veterinarian; this doesn’t concern me much though – many dogs don’t like their vets, especially if they have had to spend a lot of time there (which she has).

I am hopeful that there is someone out there that wants to give Francis a second chance at life – if there is one dog in the world that deserves love and compassion it’s Francis. If you think that you can offer her the loving life that she deserves please contact me. The adoption process for Francis will be rather extensive because I have to make absolutely sure that she goes to the right person(s). Prospective owners will have to either be a home owner or be able to provide me with a property lease stating that it is okay to own a pit bull (many pit bull owners give up their dogs because they rent from some one who does not allow pit bulls); be experienced dog owners; provide personal references; allow us to conduct an in-home interview; and be open to doing a systematic, re-homing transition process. This may seem like a lot, but Francis is well worth the effort on our part and on her perspective owner’s part. This dog deserves the best.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy ad. If you can’t take Francis; please send well wishes and prayers that some one out there will give her the loving home that she so badly needs and deserves.

<TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>seattle tacoma craigs list thought I d post it if any one can help you can find it there to

2. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

Good looking dog. Good luck placing her!

3. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

That is horrible, poor dog. That being said, I understand you want to find the best possible home for this dog, as all rescuers do. BUT, the stipulations seem a little unreal to me. You want someone with experience but not someone who has any other dogs. You have other dogs, correct? What makes it ok for you but not for someone else who knows how to handle a situation such as this. You may find someone who has no other animals to take this dog and that may be the ideal situation and I hope you do. But you cannot dismiss someone that has had this breed for many years and feels they can properly care for this animal.
    I know I may be out of line on this but this is something that has been bothering me for a long period of time.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I'm curious by what they mean here. If they are talking about DA, then they are misguided on what they believe causes DA. It's perfectly a-ok and normal for her to exhibit DA if she is one of the "pit bull" or even bulldog breeds (heck, or even terrier breeds).

But if they are saying that she's a nerve bag that needs special handling, then she needs to be put to sleep. While I am all for helping rescued dogs, I'm really all for helping those that are stable dogs. It is VERY hard to ruin a stable dog...even abuse has little effect on a dog with proper genetics and temperament.

5. jillian

jillian Pup

I didnt rescue this dog I found this posting on craigs list for seattle-tacoma,I myself found it to be a bit confuseing but I posted it cuz the story was very moveing.Sorry for andy confuion

6. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

What I want to know is how do they know she was fought? Unless they caught her owners in the act or they admitted to it, there is know way of knowing that is the case. Her wounds could have come from a kennel accident or from an attack by a stray on the street.

As for the DA, I agree w/ Mia. It is completely normal for a pit bull to be DA & is usually NOT a by-product of being fought.

7. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I would be willing to bet that this is a Boudreaux bred dog due to her high DA and her beautiful black coat. I think she is just a typical little gamebred female doing her thing. I seriously doubt she was "made to fight". You can't make them fight. A total idiot may beat one for not fighting if they are "cold" but you can't Make them fight. She may have been abused and possibly fought but I bet she is just a gamebred female. She needs a solid stable ONE DOG home. I think she is stunning.

8. jillian

jillian Pup

I sent a email to this person to ask how they knew she was fought,I havent yet recived a reply.I agree with you scooter,you can make them fight,but waiting for a reply so well see what they say.