1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MIKA, May 23, 2007.

1. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Hey folks, got a question from a feller I work with. He has a 1yr. old female that is game as she can be and a 7month old male that he claims to be game. Her heat cycle was through so he thought. He let his male 7month old pup off the chain for some excersize, went in the house for another cold beer, came out and the were locked up! He said she was tryin to tear his male pup up so he grabbed her and him by their collers and said he pulled em apart as the swellin went down. His question is can she be pregnant ( I said yeppy ) and if so how will the pups turn out with his male bein so young? I told him I would ask the most knowledgeable folks I know which is ya'll. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, MIKA

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Ouch! He pulled them apart? I'm no vet, but I would think he could have done some damage to his dogs with that maneuver, whether the swelling was going down or not.

As for can she be pregnant? Yep. I would be less worried about the age of the male and more worried about the age of the female. Some very young bitches don't make good mothers, and you figure she's not mature, so she could have problems delivering. Some folks believe in breeding females at that age; they say it loosens her up for later whelping. I personally think it is a bad idea. If he's not going to spay/abort or give the post-breeding shot (which sometimes doesn't work), then he needs to work closely with his vet to make sure this girl doesn't have any problems with delivery.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than I about breeding can chip in more information. And hopefully your friend educates himself thoroughly so this doesn't happen again.

3. when did this happen? if within the last 24 hours get the female a mismate shot immediately. if more than that the chances of being pregnant are high unless the male pup is still young enough to not be fertile yet, but that's a longshot. i'd be afraid he's got pups coming. not a good idea for a bitch that young at all. IMO
    BTW, how does he know he's got a 1yr old and a 7 month old that are game? lol aggressive, outgoing maybe, but not game. ;)

4. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Well he knows everything about our breed and ask me for advice if you know what I mean. I agree with you on the gameness. I think this happened over the weekend the way he talked. I told him he better prepare himself for the worst as she is very young and this is her first time. I will keep ya'll informed and thanks for the help. He's comin over Saturday and i'm goin to show him this site. He doesn't have internet.

5. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

I've never heard of a male any younger than 10 months getting a female pregnant but I guess that it could happen...

6. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Well for the dogs sake I hope you're right.