1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Proven Blood or Proven Dogs??

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by YoungLion, Mar 18, 2006.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

in days of old when dogmen started a yard or breeding program were they more apt to use proven dogs as the foundation, or did they try to blend dogs from proven families or lines?( like lightner,corvino,ofrn,ect). explain execptions to the rule .

2. the easiest anwser i could give you is a mixture of both some used proven dogs,some liked to use proven lines.and the anwser for that was everyone just had their personel prefrence for how they wanted to establish their line.some wanted proven dogs because they thought that was the key to getting a game dog or 2 off of a litter by having sons or daughters by this proven dog.others thought the key was in the past and that maybe if you had a proven line of dogs you would get more dogs from a litter that would turn out to be game.it really just boiled down to what they liked and thought would be the best themselves.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

When You First Start Out You Need Proven Families Or Lines Then You Can Start Your Own Line Or Foundation On A Proven Dog.

Thunder98 likes this.
  4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Your best bet for a consistent, game family is to use proven stock from proven lines. You do not want to base your yard off two curs just because they had pretty papers do you? BGFU said it very well yesterday I believe it was...something along the lines of, you need to use game stock for your brood purposes. A brood bitch/and stud need to be game for breeding, they may not be hog-hunting quality in terms of wind/mouth/whatever-they may be lacking a bit in these areas, but that can be bred in later. Gameness is the corner stone of any successful breeding practice, you start a yard with proven game animals, who have produced satisfactory previously-or you suspect will produce high-quality game dogs based on their family traits.

5. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

thanx for the feedback, the reason i asked is because i've heard different schools of thaught.i too believe in breeding best to best and game being the only INDESPENSABLE trait. yet i've read and heard divers opinions on Brood dogs/bitches and foundational stock. i hear so many people breeding to Champions ony to be disappointed when comes time to preform.many have curs from chapions that although proven were unable to reproduce themselves.then i've heard stories from oldtimers who used dogs who would not have made it in the box but were sires of game dogs one example was crenshaw's tex or rex i cant remember i think tex.this dog was said not to be able to fight his way out of a wet paper bag but was a good brood dog.if i were back in old times i would like to start with ROMs proven game.i dont no how easy it would be to come across somebody selling good stock thats not shooting blanks or on her last leg.i still would use the top studs but i would insist they be game and producers of producers and what ever else is lacking would be added to this foundation. these are my opinions and i welcome feedback and insight allways and even expect foolish remarks from time to time. any way God bless and thanx again for the feedback it was all good.

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Let me say a little more on this. The reason people breed to champions and get curs is because 1.) curs will always pop up somewhere 2.)Not all dogs can produce like themselves and 3.) Being a champion doesnt necessarily tell you diddly-squat about a dogs gameness.

Plenty of rough curs become champions, and many dogs are good enough in other aspects they can win without ever getting down. Chances are-its offspring wont be of that same caliber and will be a dog lacking gameness, as well as the qualities that made its father or mother a good dog.

That is why you dont judge by titles alone, a champion cur-is still a cur.

7. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Thanks for the great posts 14Rock. Very informative and well put.

8. Yes I agree 100% thatswhy you should try to bred for gameness first and not for example hard mouth....

9. Its not all about the line, its about the proven dog you have from that line, first you pick your favorite bloodline then you find the gamest dog in that line that you like and you save up $2000 and find the best brood female you can find and go breed her to the gamest male and you keep the whole litter and thats your foundation.