1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling vs walking

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lovemybull, Mar 10, 2010.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

I just wanted to know how many of you allow your dog to pull while handwalking. If you do, is he/she trained to stop and heal on command? If he is allowed to pull, do find he tries to test your dominance at all in result of that (asking because they say if you let a dog walk in front they will think they are in charge...don't know how true it is though)? Also, do you live somewhere where there are others walking their dogs also? I'm asking because I'm trying to training Duncan not to pull, but I really want him to get as good of a workout as possible.So I was thinking maybe I should just be letting him pull.I was looking into getting a nice walking harness from Stillwater (and collar too) if he was going to be allowed to pull. Your opinions would be helpful. Thanks

2. popper

popper CH Dog

i will let my dogs pull and walk in front of me... but if the time comes and someone is walkin another dog they listen wheni tell them to stay or come.

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I see no problem with a dog walking in front/pulling, so long as he knows what "heel" is, and that when you tell him to heel, he will heel.

4. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thanks for the replies.

5. popper

popper CH Dog

a horrible impression is an uncontrolable dog

6. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah I recently had asked a similar question whether or not a dog will benefit from resistance on walks though, I always had my girl walk aside me at all times since she was a puppy and I did it for a behaved manner which she had no problem with. Up until recently I started to allow her to slightly hold resistance by walking in front on our walks but I believe since she has been trained to not pull me during our walks that has controlled her to never give me a problem.
    The only time she will begin pulling me is if we come across other dogs of course but she still gives me a control manner so I am satisfied with our walks ;) so as long as you have them under a control manner at all times, that is the key and what works best for you :)

7. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

my dogs pull in front of me, its my responsibility for them not to get into trouble.
    i just let them be dogs on a walk

8. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Joey & popper I 100% agree. I think what I will do is work more on the heal command and teach him a command like release or something that lets him know its ok to pull now. Thanks again for the help.

9. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

i prefer my dog to work the end of the lead and as long as he isn't doing silly shit like eating off the ground then its fine.

10. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

your very welcome, how old is duncan? and good for you, what I would do is work with him as best with the healing position from the start of the walk and once he begins to show less resistance and is starting to become a bit more relaxed then I would release the leash and he'll feel the difference and that should be a key with teaching him when it's ok. Do you come across a lot of dogs on your walks lovemybull?

11. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Duncan is 5 1/2 and yeah there are a few dogs we come across on walks but they are always on the other side of the road. He gets too excited when he see dogs. Unfortunatly I live in a suburban neighboorhood and everyone is always outside. They all seem to have staring problems too.:rolleyes:

12. Tank1

Tank1 Big Dog

When they pull you pull them back, then stop. When they get beside you then proceed to walk again repeating the same procedure(1000 times) for a few days to a week and they will get the picture. They will learn that you are in charge and enjoy the walk beside you.

13. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

This is true.

As far as resistance being beneficial, I think it makes some difference but in a populated area w/ dogs around I think it's better to have your dog walk beside you and not look uncontrollable and you just walking that extra mile to get them results.

14. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thank you Tank for the advice. I'll have to try that one out. I have been doing the turing around when they start to pull and its been working somewhat.

Just wanted to say that when I said those people had staring problems, I didn't mean all people in a suberban neighborhood do...just mine I guess.:p Weather I'm walking him or training him, they always seem to stare. I even have this one gug who walks by with his rottie who walks perfectly by his side and the guy always seems to smeark at me when he sees me working with Duncan. Sorry for the rant.

15. peppapig

peppapig Banned

i always allowed my dogs to pull....good exercise for both of us......altho it can make you look a bit of a twat!!:rolleyes:

16. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

I didn't know you could get the same results by walking farther. I thought it was the resistance that builds the muscle. Not trying to question you, I really didn't know that. When the summertime comes, I walk Duncan at night and there is never anyone out that late.

17. power

power Pup

It depended on which collar I had on my dogs. They were trained at an early age that a choke chain meant they were not allowed to pull and must heel. A leather collar meant they were free to act like they wanted. By 4 months of age each knew how to behave.
    Sometimes you want the dog to pull and sometimes you want them to heel. The dog is smart enough to know the difference if they are given a chance to learn.

18. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I allow my dogs to pull on walks. BUT. When it is time to stop and heel beside me they will.

19. Mcleod15

Mcleod15 Pup

I don't allow my dog to pull on walks.

20. Boze

Boze Top Dog

blau what is the best way you have found to make a dog heel