1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy prices...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by LadyRampage, Jan 12, 2005.

1. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

After seeing a comment on another thread it started me thinking about what people considered a fair price on pups.. Now of course there are some outragious prices, IMO, on dogs but obviously there are people out there willing to pay it..

We've had a cap on our price for pups since we've had these dogs and its always been $500 no matter which breeding it is. Figure the price is high enough to turn away non-serious people but not to high for someone who knows what they are getting into. Now in reality we don't sell all our pups for that much, but its a top price for us.

Now we haven't paid more than $600 for a pup ourselves, and that was a 5 month old pure colby bitch many years ago, and were lucky enough to get some damn good stock over the years for decent prices or nothing in some cases. IMO, no matter who the parents are you are taking a risk that the pup may or may not be what you are looking for in your program so why spend $1000 on a pup, when you can up your odds by getting 2 pups @ $500 a piece from solid proven parents who may not be CH but damn nice dogs?

What is the highest amount you've paid for a pup, or would pay for a pup? What is your reasoning

2. Classic

Classic Big Dog

The highest amount I personally have paid for a pup is $2000.
    She was out of Barracuda...hoping for nice %
    She died at 9 1/2 months of heart defect not found until post mortem
    Won't repeat that experience.
    Not planning on buying anymore pups...
    I have a couple of really nice bitches I would breed to the male of my choice.

3. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

1000 Bucks For 1 Off A Gr Ch 500 To 750 For The Rest I Got A Few For 500 Also

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

The most I've put down for a dog has been $700. I feel that pups should be in the $300-$500 range for the most part due to it all being a gamble.

5. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

The most I've ever paid was 350 for Benjamin. Maddie was free & so was Dixie (gone now) We did have a crazy male but if I remember correctly he was only 250.00

I would NEVER pay more than $350 for a dog - that's me. I just can't see it, but then again if I were a breeder and wanted to "better my yard" or get a hold of a certain blood line then I would only assume I would be willing to pay for what I wanted. OF course though thats not the case

Actually I go back to say - I will never pay over 300.00 for ANY dog again! LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2005
  6. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Another good point, although I've still never been willing to pay more than $600 for a pup that I thought might better my yard..lol There are some damn nice bloodlines out there that I wouldn't mind looking at but I'm just not willing to pay those outragious prices..lol Now a young prospect, or older dog...they would be worth a bit more since they should be past the "puppy disease" stage, and any health problems can be noted, but even then its a gamble..

Here is one that always amazes me.. If I am interested in a pup bred very similar to what I have on my yard and that kennel knows I have the same blood (just bred a bit different) and my prices then when I ask about pricing they top my price $250...lol Maybe its just me but its almost an insult when someone with dogs bred like mine up the price... Makes me think they don't think my dogs are the same caliber as theirs...lol Of course I may be a little sensitive..hehe

7. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

It all boils down to the breeding, the pups and what I'm keeping

The best dog I've ever owned was a freebie//the worst dog I paid $500 and that was supposed to be a "bargin" price (lol.. I sold that dog for $150 and later on those owners sold the dog for over $1000 ..I guess it just depends on what you want. He wasnt a bad dog .., just not what I told the breeder I wanted and was looking for)

I think its a buyer beware..you dont always get what you pay for.

From some kennels I would gladly shell out $600 for a pup though ..they have the years behind thier dogs

It just all boils down to personal preference in the long run..

8. GT99

GT99 Pup

JennKBM...

This is off Topic but thats a beautiful looking dog in your avatar, I think My boy "Boomer" is going to look alot like that when he is grown, after looking at that picture I kinda wish I cropped his ears, suits your dog very well. I am curious about your dogs bloodline and his weight etc. Any other pictures you could post of him?

As for the price of dogs, I would pay up to $500 Canadian dollars, no more than that. It would have to be a good bloodline for that as well. I see alot of pups advertised for $800 or more that I imagine are bred for show due to the fact they are bred from untested dogs, yet they do not list any awards won in shows. Basically they breed the dogs for pets only and strive (or claim they do) towards temperment. All I can say is screw that.

9. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

Here is one that always amazes me.. If I am interested in a pup bred very similar to what I have on my yard and that kennel knows I have the same blood (just bred a bit different) and my prices then when I ask about pricing they top my price $250...lol Maybe its just me but its almost an insult when someone with dogs bred like mine up the price... Makes me think they don't think my dogs are the same caliber as theirs...lol Of course I may be a little sensitive..hehe

I have to agree with that one Rampage.There is a "kennel" just a few roads down from me with poor quality dogs that have been bred down and inbred so badly.And they have their dogs posted for more than myself.I have had many people stop and tell mw how good my dogs are and how they look and they always say "Man there's some dog's down the road these people are selling expensive that look like ----.That is one reason I decided to change up my lines a bit.People gettin dogs with those lines and having problems then they come to me asking if my dogs have those problems.I tell em to just look at em and tell me the difference.

As for the price thing.I've never paid over 300 for a dog EXCEPT one,And I actually got her a lil cheaper than the guy ended paying with ears and all.

10. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Thank you very much. I don't know Ben's bloodline - I have never sent in his papers or gotten his pedigree. I must say that Ben came from a "breeder" that misrepresented themselves horribly. I was looking to replace our family pet that was stolen from us. Ben was a VERY sick baby and cost me a few thousand dollars in vet bills. I was told that now he is almost 2 that the ADBA would not accept his papers. Which is fine, I don't care. Since I have started meeting others and learning more about the APBT I have been interested in learning what his lines were just to satisfy my curiousity. LOL
    He is about 61 pounds and a HUGE pain in my ass, LOL

there a a few pictures of BenJamin in my gallery feel free to take a look. Maddie is Greyline/Mitchell haven't never sent in her papers either though I do have them in my truck on my sun visor, LOL.
    http://www.game-dog.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=93

Getting completely off topic but is there any truth to not being able to send in their papers to ADBA?

11. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I have never had problems with ADBA registering dogs.And I don't register half my dogs until they are grown.As long as the papers are legit ,all is cool.

12. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

Ok No Harm Intended But How Many Of Those 300 Dollar Dogs Accomplished Anything?not Bashing But I Think You Get What Ya Pay For But Thats Mho.but I Do Have Some Damn Nice Cheaper 1s The 1s That Cost Me Were Worth It As I Said B4 Money Aint Shit I Love The Dogs.

13. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Don't know about $300 dogs, but I have one here that we spent a cool $100 that you couldn't pay me enough to let her go. Hell I have 2 dogs on the yard that were given to me by a friend that I consider priceless.

Just because they are priced high DOESN'T make them great, so no you don't always "get what you pay for"..lol Alot of times I think that it clouds your judgement when you pay those high prices..

JMO

14. GT99

GT99 Pup

Good to see you cared enough to spend that kind of money on a new pup when he was sick. He is gorgeous, definatly worth the money on his looks alone

15. pups & dogs are worth what the market will bare.

16. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliments. He wasn't sick when we bought him just after the first week we got him home he started getting VERY sick. I wanted to give him back (guaranteed health my ASS) but she wouldn't have it. I was a huge mess but everything turned out just fine in the long run.

17. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

Lol Well All I Can Say Lady Ramp My High Dollar Dogs Are Exactly What I Want.and The Cheaper 1s Have Not Been Anything Like It,we All Are Diff We All Spend Diff Money B Ut It Nwas A Good Topic.

18. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Can't argue with you on that one..lol We've been fortunate enough to get some damn nice dogs for next to nothing... Now it wasn't always like that, in the beginning we paid high prices as well..

Now that $100 bitch(also a picture of her at 13 months as my avatar) is one of my foundation brood bitches and we have great grandkids off her on the yard now..lol

This has been a great thread, glad to see everyone's opinions!

19. SFK

SFK Top Dog

This is an excellant thread! lots of opinions, so I'll throw mine in. ANY pup is a gamble. It's all about how much you are willing to ante up. How much would I pay for a pup? No more than $800. But the prices are all relative. Quality of the parents, repeat of a proven breeding, size of the litter, age of the parents & personal preferance. There are some amazing studs I know of right now that are up in years and don't have the count of a younger dog. I've been offered cuts of the litters to split the AI fees. How much would these pups be worth? I could'nt put a price on them. But if some one wants to pay a grand for a pup I am definately going to consider it! On the other hand I have dogs that where given to me that I will cherish for the rest of their lives (& remember for the rest of mine!) But I will say no pup is worth more to me than the ones that I produce, raise, & show. There is no greater pride IMO.

20. princess_koka

princess_koka Big Dog

We are paying 1,200$ for a pup right now. Parents look very nice and healthy. The kennel pays so much attention to their dogs as if they were their own children. I had no problem paying that much because they are dual registered, great temperments, excellent conformation, and a great pedigree too. When we get the pup I wanted to get into the shows with her, but I have a lot to learn. Getting off the subject a little bit just wanted to give a little info. Around here pitbulls go anywhere from 50-300$. Those are the most regular prices but really nobody wants to pay more than 200. What they don't realize is that it's not a quality dog. They're buying un-registered dogs from back-yard breeders who don't know if they are in-breeding, out-crossing, line-breeding, and probably don't know the difference between any of these. They are palying with nature and the reputation of our loved breed. By that I mean they don't know if they are creating genetic defects of all sorts, bad temperments, and just plain all around health. Most of these people don't even care who is buying the dogs it all about the cash for them. A simple screening process and permission to check up on the animal can eliminate irresponsible and or negative owners.