1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy-vs-adoption

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by lipshipsattitude, Mar 7, 2007.

1. So there more I think about getting a new puppy the more I dread having to go through the whole puppy thing all over again. Rory is 2 years and 2 months so I just got over this, ha ha! I was snooping at my local resucue and dammit of course I found one that pulls my heart strings.....he sounds like a great guy, young enough to mold and it seems as is he has enough interaction with other dogs the only issue os that my hubby is 100% adament about getting a shelter dog becuase of their unknown history but I know this shelter and they are great........aside from really disliking his name....go take a peek
    http://www.rocketdogrescue.org/pages/adoptioncenter11.htm

2. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

With an adult shelter dog, what you see is what you get. History aside, its the dogs TEMPERMENT thats the important thing. And an adult dogs temperment is a finished product much more than a pups.

A pup is more of a gamble.

3. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

the shelter should let you bring your whole family and your dog to meet the other dog before you make a decision,also when i worked at the shelter we ALWAYS let the dog coome back if there turned out to be a problem.All you can do is try and if it doesnt work you sholudnt feel guilty,maybe you could ask the shelter about fostering him for awhile?

4. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I agree,,,and you can also do some quick tests to see what the dog is all about,,,sometimes they don't show their true colors until they are at your house for awhile,,,ask if you can take a dog home for a week or a long weekend,,,look at it as a foster dog.

5. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

OT, but I found it funny that they consider 45lbs to be on the smaller side for a pit bull... Twinkie looks like a cutie. Oh and Snoop too! :p

As for buy vs. adopt and adult vs. puppy, I agree with what's been said. Nothing much else to add except I hope you go the adoption route. ;)

6. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

I would have to foster him for a bit, reason being he is at the age when they tend to be set in their ways...However, There is an exception to every rule.

He is handsome by the way...I would love to give him a go...

7. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

im suprised you didnt take him home right then hes a good lookin dog

8. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

grreat dogs are where you find them, sometimes they find you:D

9. Attila

Attila Guest

If you are not going to show the dog it doesn't really matter. You will miss out on puppy days. Hopefully it is house trained, litter trained what ever you need and it is healthy.

10. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

is your dog a male? are you getting an opposite sex dog from what you have to lower the risk of DA?

11. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

THis part scares me a bit:

ok, why would anyone want a PROTECTIVE pitbull that needs someone to be CAREFUL with him??????? what is their meaning of protective? pitbulls should not show guarding instincts , and his bio is somewhat scarey about the protective part.... i would pass on him and go for a more solid 100% temperment pitbull that has NO issues...

12. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I though about that one too,and i really think it might just be directed towards people who have never had a pit before.There are several breeds out there that need experienced owners and are not good choices for someone who is getting a first dog or who just wants a family pet that they can take to the dog park or the beach where other dogs might be.Bassically theyre saying pits are not for the novice dog owner,i for one think they are being responsable by letting people know what they would really be getting into instaed of just giving the dog to the first person that comes along.Pit bulls do require extra care,training and work than most dogs and i think they are trying to make that perfectli clear.If everyone would come to realize this are dogs would probably be in much better shape today!