1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question for ya'll in the southeast

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovemybull, Jul 30, 2010.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

So I live in CT at the moment (well all my life) and my husband and I eventually want to move down south (anywhere but FL). We want to live in a country home on like 5 acres or more. We have kids, so a good schools are a must. He has family in Union, SC so they would be able to help us in regards to SC but I was needing some info about some other states. Can any of you reccomend towns we can look into. There are so many that I really don't know where to start and I rather talk to the people who have lived/live there. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Oh and I wanted to add, I'm not expecting anyone to say.."Oh I live in...". Just if you know of any towns. Thanks!

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

looked at acreage in sc last year- prices were great, but there are some pretty tough times going on in sc right now...iirc union is the unemployment leader in the state. in the areas that you ~would want to live~ you are pretty far from any of the ~major~ cities ( 1 hour or more)

4. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

Look into Fairhope Alabama great schools and theres plenty of land always for sale outside of the city limits but in still in the Fairhope school zone. 30-40 minutes from the beach 30-40 minutes from the Florida line.

5. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

6. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

Florida is a beatuiful state, but unfortunately has really gone downhill over the past 20 years. Way too many people from new york shitty and new crappy jersey have moved down here. Almost like a mass migration. Not that all new yorkers and jersey folk are bad, lot of them are great people, just seems like a lot of the a$$holes from those 2 spots decided to make Florida there new home. Florida is basically morphing into the East Coast version of Cali, just way too many people, congestion (traffic, etc) and people are becoming getting ruder.
    All I can tell you is that there are a lot of wonderful places in the South. Just gotta do your homework. Northern Georgia is Beautiful. I've heard Eastern Tennesse is real nice too. Greenville SC is supposed to be nice.
    It all depends on what you're looking for.....but yeah, make sure the school system is good wherever you go.

I LOVE the SOUTH. Good Luck.

7. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

California hater? I am a California native and your definition of cali is sounding very small minded. The traffic and congestion is mainly in LA not the entire state itself and rude people are everywhere I wouldn't say mostly from cali though.

8. Blau

Blau Big Dog

If you're willing to drive a bit, richland district 2 is the best district in the state [SC] when it comes to schools... There's an area a little way outside of Columbia, I think it's called Blythewood, that has a LOT of land, but it's still within the district. The other districts in the state pretty much suck, except for the ones upstate.

But if education is of great importance, District 2 and any district upstate is good.

9. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to look into all the places you suggested. It's not that I have anything again FL. I think its a beautiful place to visit but I just can't see myself as a resident. I agree that there are too many of us yankees down there..lol. But fortunatly I am not the typical yankee. As much as there are beautiful place here in the north I really feel like my heart is down south (even though I've never lived there).