1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Hides

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by matty, Oct 27, 2009.

1. matty

matty Big Dog

Im in the process of salting and drying a big batch of cow hides, now the last time i did it i dried them hard the hides were very durable still with the fur/hair on but not flexible pretty solid, i was wondering what people prefer, a little more wet or totally hard and dry or maybe just a bit more flexible? My batch will be ready soon (im in the uk)

Matt

2. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

mines was kind of hard. but after like 5-10 i it becomes soft cause of the dogs spit and breath

3. I sell hides here in the USA and I dry them hard. If left wet you will have a problem with ants and maybe some rot. Dried all the way the dog will get it soft with their mouths and later it will dry hard again. Plus it will last longer hard.

4. matty

matty Big Dog

Thanx for the quick replies, thats what i thought!

Matt

5. matty

matty Big Dog

6. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

wow those are very nice pieces. Where you get them from?

7. matty

matty Big Dog

I got a full hide from a friend of mine i salted it and cut it up i prefer this size pieces, if all goes well and i can shift this lot quick i will make it a regular thing!

8. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

dam thats nice. I got a buddy that have a cattle in M.O and sometimes i get them too.