1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question on registration and purple ribbons

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Riptora, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I got this in my PM box today, I wanted to help but I don't know squat about this issue.

" I hope you dont mind me sending you a message. I just need to understand "registrations" a little bit better, im about to send my dog's papers to UKC but they are asking about purple ribbon>?? I dont know what that is and I am completely clueless. I looked at his parents website and they all have PR right beside their name. "

Can anyone help?

2. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

I am not a conformation studier by no means I never even showed or have been interested in it..... but I think it has something to do with the dog being some kind of CH in show or may something like that...

3. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Thanks for the responce, but... where's the joke?

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Well actually...I was joking it really means "Partly Retarded"

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Very good! That's how I like it! [​IMG]

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

From what I understand about the UKC is that PR(purple ribbon) means that you can trace back 7 generations of pedigree. Nothing about a show, just being able to trace geneology.
    Hope that answers the question.
    J

Riptora likes this.
  7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I thought PR just meant that the 3 previous generations were registered? Anyways, purple ribbon doesn't mean doodly squat. Just another fancy sounding term people use to justify the selling of curs for astronomical prices.

As far as registering with the UKC, this person should just be able to fill out the appropriate paperwork given to her by the breeder of the pup & send it in along with the $$$.

8. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Yes, if the application for registration is a UKC one. ADBA will accept the pedigree from UKC, I think it only needs 3 generations. Send then a copy, even a handwritten one (and tha $, of course) and the UKC dog will be dual registered, but the UKC, who does honor the ADBA reg, will also want one of thier people to physically look the dog over before registering the dog with them, and of course, more $.

As with all dogs, a wise dogman said once, that every litter will have a cur. So whether ADBA, UKC or whatever, when you get a pup you always just hope for the best. Also, just cause a dog is UKC doesnt mean that it's not game, I dont care what anyone says. I have had UKC and ADBA dogs for a long time, and have NEVER took a dog to a fu fu show. And although I do not fight mine, I hear through the grapevine that there just aint no stop in the majority of 'em till they drop. I just come from a different school than alot, I judge the dog, not the paper. Dont get me wrong, the paper is very useful to me, but it has value to wipe my rearend if the dog is cold!

The UKC dogs that have a 3 generation pedigree are yellow ribbon dogs. I believe they have 3 different ribbons, I may be mistaken, and none have anything to do with a show. All have to do with how many generations are tracable, is my understanding.
    J

9. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

this is the correct answer to your question

10. Evil_Elvis

Evil_Elvis Big Dog

now the pr means that the dogs ancestors have been registered for so many years back in the day when ukc started solely for apbt's it meant that the dog had been tested and proved itself worthy of being breed but now like mia said it dont mean nothing

Riptora likes this.
  11. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Thats all it means ....I remember someone telling me it was a good thing to have and meant something about the dog....maybe what Elvis said...it was from back in gthe day....Damn ribbon...why would a dog need a ribbon

12. Hey let your friend know, that there is a msg board on UKC and it tells all about anything she could ever want to know! Here is the link
    http://www.ukcdogs.com/

13. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

If that is what it means, then why can a yellow ribbon dog, who's ancestor's do not go back to the beginning, being bred to a purple ribbon dog, have purple ribbon pups?
    J

14. jbh38

jbh38 Big Dog

Here you go, this is what PR (Purple Ribbon) means

Purple Ribbon-bred dogs have six generations of known ancestors and all 14 ancestors within the last three generations must be registered with UKC (indicated by all 14 ancestors having registration numbers).

15. Re: Questions on Pedigrees

I was wondering if someone could please answer a few questions I have regarding Pedigrees?

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Kinda funny how the app for reg. says that only "purple ribbon" dogs are elligible for 7 generation pedigree. 7, not 6.

As to the last 14 ancestors having been registered to UKC, let me give you this one,

If I take my ADBA dog and send a copy of his/her pedigree to UKC, with the $, then I will have to contact one of their endorsed men/women to look my dog over in person, with the $, and they will decide whether or not this dog meets breed standard. If this 'Judge' decides he/she does, then I will be issued a 'yellow' ribbon registration. Now, the pedigree for this yellow ribbon dog, and let's just say that none of the dogs in the 6 generations were UKC registered, is bred to a purple ribbon dog, How is it then that the pups are registered purple ribbon? I have actually had such dogs in my possesion before, so dont tell me that this will not happen.
    J

17. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Yes, 'PR' means the dog has a ped of 7 generations registered with UKC. Don't know where someone got 6 from. Also, I do not understand why UKC would be asking whether the dogs are purple ribbon bred. When you register the pups, you pay them to do the research on the ped. I got a 7 gen ped for my pups (just one cuz they're littermates, no need to spend any more $) and they never asked me any such question....that's what you pay them for! It was interesting to see though when I got it, even the dogs in the 7th gen were almost all purple ribbon bred. Then I did my own research and followed their geneology all the way to the 1880's. Very interesting what you find out. It's now framed and hanging on my wall.......I know, enough with the show dog talk crap, lol.

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Yea, when you have a pr dog who's ped is full of pr's, it is very cool to be able to trace all of them way back!! And then to study how the dogs were bred, relation wise. It is a shame that all of the dogs did not have pictures of each, and a description of the behavior of the dog. Then the PR would really be worth the hype!! Also, the app for reg should have just asked if you wanted a 7 gen(like you got one, but not one on the other litter mate), and the ap should say pr on itself!
    When I read the question the first thing I thought of was a person trying to get their dog dual registered, then the question of it's geneology should come up, or if it was a single registration, but if the litter was registered, they should just do like you said, send the ap and the $ and be done with it!
    J

19. Ok, I got this from a board member on UKC.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Purple Ribbon ('PR') Pedigree. In the early part of the 1930s, UKC registered and trademarked with the United States Department of Commerce the Purple Ribbon Pedigree. This pedigree is only offered by the United Kennel Club, Inc., and is the mark of the United Kennel Club purebred dog. The Purple Ribbon designation is awarded to eligible dogs at birth by the United Kennel Club and is signified in all UKC records by the letters 'PR' appearing before the dog's name.

Purple Ribbon-bred dogs have six generations of known ancestors and all 14 ancestors within the last three generations must be registered with UKC (indicated by all 14 ancestors having registration numbers). The absence of a UKC registration number shows that there are some single-registered dogs in the pedigree and no 'PR' pedigree will be issued.
    Breeders who wish to produce Purple Ribbon-bred puppies must either: breed Purple Ribbon-registered males to Purple Ribbon-registered females, thereby assuring that the offspring will carry this prestigious designation; or carefully research the pedigrees of potential sires and dams that are not Purple Ribbon bred. If an unregistered ancestor is in the third generation of a sire or dam's pedigree, it is possible for that sire or dam to produce a first generation Purple Ribbon-bred litter. If one or more single-registered dogs appear in the first or second generation of the sire or dam's pedigree, the offspring will not be Purple Ribbon bred.

The registration certificates and pedigrees of Purple Ribbon-bred dogs bear the official 'PR'. The ancestors of Purple Ribbon-bred dogs can be traced for six generations and possibly more-perhaps to the foundation stock of the breed.

Hope it helps....I know nothing about this stuff!
    [/font]