1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

rattlesnake vaccine?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jbpits91, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

just wondering if those that keep their dogs outside and/or hunt or just run dogs in woods, fields, etc use this? is it worth while? thank for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  2. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

It's not a antivenom, it buys you time to treat it on the scene or otherwise. It most likely will reduce the number of antivenom doses it will need if u decide to seek professional help but I heard it's in the neighborhood of 1.5-2K for antivenom although will depend on his/her weight.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

4. SVKNLS

SVKNLS Pup

Never lost a dog from snake bite. I've had them bit by copper heads and rattlers. If its a pup, possible I guess. And this is just my opinion and experience. I've had there head swell double its size,but never lost one to a bite. I'm not telling you its not a possibility,just what I've experienced.

5. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the link sadieblues. was planning on taking a trip to the mtns next week to my families property and they have found a few rattlesnake dens the past year. my dog would be leashed to me when out but that might not make a difference. thanks again for the replies

6. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

no bullshit i have a dog on my yard that was my partners he brought the dog too me all fucked up face was super swollen we rushed him to my vet all he gave was pain killer and sterouds to help with the swelling!! that was it sent us home wit the dog i kept him at my house for a couple days just to watch him and he bounced right back no antivenom at all and he have some nasty snakes in oklahoma.

7. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

damn im glad he pulled through. i read somewhere that rattlesnake venom was 25 time more fatal to dogs than humans so thats why i was worried but i will keep that in mind okc. thanks for the replies

8. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

There are also rattle snake avoidance training if that's your thing.

9. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

nah where i live they are pretty rare to find, just have them at the property in the mountains and i dont make it up there very much unless its winter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013