1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

RE: Olde Tyme Carpetmills New Life

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Primitive Supply, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JP267

JP267 Banned

Primitive do you have any pics or videos of that jenny ? your turntable looks simple yet very affective same with your carpetmill, But I really like your carpetmill, either way great tools to work a dog.

2. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

How would I get a carpet mill from you p.e

3. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

P.s. how much your carpet mills cost

4. I haven't used the flying jenny in some time. The thing is ginormous, when it gets going it can actually sling the dog off his path. I like the jenny, but, it's not as easily useable as the carpetmill, or the turntable. I stick to what works best for me and my methods of conditioning. Primitive Supply

5. My carpet mill is $500.00. The price is not bad, However; if you have to pay shipping it runs the overall cost a little high. I live in N.W. Florida. Not far from Tallahassee. PM me for the Phone #

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

LMAO @ $500.......lol, your proud of that thing aint ya!

CesarT likes this.
  7. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

How much does shipping normally cost from fl to hou. tx

8. My record of winning goes back to the mid 70s. I've matched into the best during the hayday of matching dogs. You couldn't go to a match that I either wasn't matched in or had one of my dogs matched in. THAT carpetmill has well over 100 wins on it. To say I'm proud of it is a little arrogant on your part. When you start puting up you videos of what you have built regarding carpetmills, turntables, etc. maybe you have a say in this other wise your just aperson looking for a fight.

9. @ frankDublin: the cost to Texas is around $300.00. That's just a guess, I would have to get a quote to give you an exact price.....best regrds Primitive Supply

10. Hobo83

Hobo83 Pup

A lot People don't appreciate the amount of hard work and effort that goes into making a mill or any kind of equipment used for the conditioning of these animals, as soon as you do make something all the experts are there waiting to criticize it. I've made slat mills and can honestly say that the only reason I'll ever make another is because I enjoy it because If I was actually to charge people enough to cover my time as well as the price of materials the cost would be astronomical.

11. barber

barber Pup

Thanks for sharing ur videos

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

[video=youtube;qqB1Gb-gjFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqB1Gb-gjFk[/video]

[video=youtube;nq7h6nQmKoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=nq7h6nQmKoM&NR=1[/video]

I applaud your record. I applaud your time in the dogs. I applaud your accomplishments. But $500 is way steep for a carpet mill. US1

13. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Your supplies are indeed very primitive.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

how do you figure, even with the high cost of lumber you can build a quality carpet mill for roughly $250

mr bulldog sells quality carpet mills for roughly $300-350 that dont wobble or nothing.....

hell, my buddy builds em for 500 but atleast those are steel frames and last a lifetime.....

charge what you like, but dont try to justify hustlin with false expenses..... if people ask why so high, just say..."cuz i can!" lol

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

lmmfao ..........

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

lol id buy slims mill before the OP's LOL.............

17. Hobo83

Hobo83 Pup

I'm not justifying anything, if it cost $250 to make and you sell it for $500 you make $250 for your time and skill, your hardly going to become a millionaire. I'm not debating what people earn because if others want to cut them selfs short that's there business, I'm simple pointing out the fact that sometimes it's not worth your while selling things for less than the hassle involved in making them.

18. Those Bearings are very costly not to mention the deck. It is a very expensive piece of material. (I won't say what it is, trade secre,you can't buy it at Lowes) Then there is the labor involved. I actually have about $350.00 in my mills, then the rest is labor. Regarding my carpet mill it will last a lifetime. I'm still using the same one after 30 years. If I charge $350.00, then I'm doing my labor for free. I suppose most of you would like it if I didn't charge for my labor. You would figure you got a good deal and so you would, but, what about the builder?

19. @HOBO83: You nailed it with that statement. I totally agree with you. There isn't a dog conditioning device that I haven't built. There are only a few that really have the experience to appreciate that. Primitive Supply

20. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The flange bearings on the end are not that expensive. Harbor freight/tractor supply has them all day. The wood is no more than $40 and that is a stretch. Now if you have some sort of space age polymer sliding/running surface that cost $250 per mill then my hat is off to you. That mll, just like mine can be built for no more than $150 if you buy bearings and roller set-ups individually. If you buy enough for four or five mills the price gets a lot closer to $100. The video I posted of the red bitch cooling down is a mill my son built when he was 15 years old as part of a carpentry project. Some of the corners and angles do not exactly line up but it is a smooth turning mill. We sold that mill for $200. He made about $80 bucks for a days work.
    Now on the other hand if the $500 is for the wins and years and the people you know/knew then it may be justified. I like the Colby mill. It is a nice mill. But you are buying the 100 years of dogs and the Colby name. A great mill no doubt, and furniture grade craftsmanship, and the best carpet mill out there if we are sitting around talking about yesteryear. But overpriced if all we are doing is working dogs.
    If you just say it is what it is, and it cost what it cost, I will applaud that as well. Basic economics say something is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay. If people are paying you $500 for that mill than by all means, let's keep the economy rolling. If they are paying $500 then it is worth $500, but let's not pretend about the building costs. Just say, it is $500, take it or leave it. US1