1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Red Imported Fire Ant Bites

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by SMOKIN HEMI, Dec 23, 2007.

1. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

The red imported Fire Ant, Solenopsis invicta (Buren)(Hymenoptera Formicidae),
    is an introduced species that arrived in Mobile,Alabama from south America around the 1930's. This species has had an enormous impact in the southeastern United States, and continues to spread into Areas of North America with mild climates and adequate moister and foods. The red imported fire ant reached Texas during the 1950's and has spread steadily across the states. The Texas Veterinarian Survey, Impact of Red Imported Fire Ants on Wildlife ( Barr & Drees, 1994) documented losses resulting from multiple ant stings to Livestock.

Diagnosing and treating animals

Clinical Signs Of Fire Ant Stings

Red Imported Fire Ants sometimes may be seen stinging an animal, particularly areas on the animal with little or no hair such as muzzle, eye, ears ventral abdomen and perineum. Although fire ants occasionally attack healthy animals, neonates are certainly more susceptible. Animals that are weak and/or sick are easy victims. Clinical signs of debilitating may also be present, and one should examine animals for possible serious underlying disease ( i. e. ,septicemia)
    After the sting, the narcotizing toxin causes a 2-5 mm red papule with mild swelling. A vesicopustule with a red helo develops over the next 24 - 48 hours. Usually there are bites. If the ants sting the eyes usually there will be excessive lacrimation, blepharospasm, and mucopurulent exudate on the lid margins and at the medial canthus. Numerous 2-4mm focal necrotic ulcers will be seen on the cornia and conjuntiva.

Treating Fire Ant Stings

Probably the most important aspect of treating fire ant stings is to remove the animal from the source of fire ants (i.e., mound) and to remove any ants from the victim. This prevents further sting damage. This may be all that's necessary with milder attacks.More severe attacks may require local treatment. Ointments containing corticosteroids with or without antibacterial can be used to treat the skin bites and pustules that develop. After gently cleansing the skin with a damp cloth or paper towel, ointment can be applied once or twice daily. If the inflammation is severe or extensive, treatment for several days may help.

The Red Imported Fire Ant is of particular medical concern because many ants can sting an infested animal simultaneously. Fire ants infest vertebrates as foragers for food and moisture, rather than as warriors set on destruction. In larger animals, they do not intend to kill nor is their toxin strong enough to do so. When the host animal moves, that irritates or injures ants on its body, it triggers a stinging episode in which all the ants participate. This combined attack is probably prompted by chemical signals. The results may be dramatic when hundreds of ants are on the creature. It is suspected that the victims suffering from numerous bites may actually be depressed from the systemic effects of the toxin. Fire ants are often swallowed by the animals as they lick or bite at the painful sting sites. This gives the ant an opportunity to cause more injury in the upper gastrointestinal tract of the affected animal. Multiple sting sites have been observed at necropsy in the esophagus and abomasum. They appear markedly similar to the external wounds caused by the insect. It is possible that the toxins from many ingested ants may also cause a generalized inflammation of the gastrointestinal lining.

2. Marty

Marty Guest

Who ever wrote this Article couldn't spell, I fixed all miss spelled words I could find ;)

3. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

That's funny Marty..!!! I tell you there was a lot of good info in all of those articles.....

4. Marty

Marty Guest

Yes and we need to add more, I noticed we did have anything on tape worms so I added one ;)