1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

red sore

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jdp204, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

just noticed a red sore on my dog about the size of a dime on her side. its symmetrical and raised, somewhat hard, i was thinking it was allergies but was wondering if there was something else common it could be?(we have lots of poison ivy and other goodies herre in fl) i know this is realllly vague and i dont have a camera at the moment to take a pic but i was still wondering. thanks for any help!

2. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Is she scratching it? I had a similar bump on my dogs jaw that seems to be an allergy. He kept scratching at it so I put a little hydrocortisone cream on it and its going away.

3. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

i never see her scratch it but shes a super freak anyways and would probly rather growl at me to scratch it for her than do it herself, she talks too much. and i type too much when im medicated, got my wisdom teeth out today.:eek:

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I had something similar come up on the foot of one of my bullies before. It was round, about the size of a dime, hairless, reddish in color, elevated & hard. It wasn't truly as sore per se, as it wasn't open or ulcerated. The vet said it was a benign button tumor & removed it surgically.

Good luck w/ your pup & let us know how things turn out!

5. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

nu stock did the trick in 3 applications:D thanks!

6. john31585

john31585 Pup

My dog got something like that once, and my vet said it could have been from the heartguard/heartworm medicine being to strong. She was around 45lbs and I gave her a 50 to 100 tablet. I forgot what it was called, but they gave me some cream and it went away.

7. Tattoo

Tattoo Pup

Sounds like Ring Worm

8. Suki

Suki Guest

try to post a pic...don't wanna assume.
    could be a hot spot, insect bite, allergic reaction, tho that's typically several smaller bumps, as opposed to one larger one, etc...
    seeing it will give us a better idea.

9. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Without a picture hard to say. Like Suki said it could be anything. You used Nu Stock and it went away thats good.

My dog Mike had a Histiocytoma on his paw. I left it till it ulcerated then I had to have it removed at work (before my discount lol). This type of benign tumor is common in young dogs.

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-1]The histiocytoma is a tumor originating from what is called a “Langerhans cell.” This cell lives in the skin and serves as part of the immune system by processing incoming antigens and presenting them to other immunologic cells. The histiocyotoma is especially common in Labrador retrievers, Staffordshire terriers, Boxers, and Dachshunds. [/SIZE]

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesconditionsfaqs/f/FAQ_histiocytom.htm

What does a histiocytoma look like?
    The appearance of a raised, hairless and bright red "angry" looking skin lump on a young dog is characteristic of a histiocytoma. This is often alarming to dog owners; as it they often appear suddenly, almost overnight. Histiocytomas are not painful, and most dogs do not even seem to notice them, despite the fact that they lump may be ulcerated

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I was gonna suggest the same!