1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Reply To What Was Said To Me

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by KnottyBoyNC, Apr 8, 2006.

1. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

i encountered a convo with someone i know and this is what she said. of course i disagreed with her but i want to know what everyone else thinks regarding her comments. this is what she said:

"well... a pit that comes from winning pit stock is where u will find the gameness... in lamens terms... a dog that gets into a fight and wont give up, no matter what... on top of if u want it to stop fghting it does not turn around and bite u.. ANY pit that bites their master thatdog honestly and sadly needs to be put down....it goes back to the history....pits that were actually used in pit fighting were def NOTsome of the pits that we have raised today. The pits of "yesterday" were fighters to a degree. the dogs that were fighting only faught for a few seconds and would come out with no more than a small cut on the ear or something similar.there were NO BLOOD BATTLES THAT WE HAVE TODAY!!!"

The things i've highlighted in red are the things that i disagree with. now lets here those responses.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2006
  2. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

There are historical matches that went 2 hours +! Even though percentages can be manipulated somewhat to your favor with "winning pit stock", good dogs are where they come.

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

This thread is going to be extremely controversial, and everyone needs to remember to watch their tongue so to speak.

To reply to the "short fights, little more than a cut on the ear" or such, thats ridiculous. In fact, dogs were tested a hell of alot harder back than, than most were at the end of 76. Now-days (Before the animal rights act of course though) there is less importance on gameness, and more importance on a quick finisher, or other impressive abilities other than gameness. You can see a hard-biting trait in 20 minutes, and if your breeding for hard-biters you probably arent going to take the dog far enough to truly test its gameness. There were many more dead game dogs (relatively speaking) back then, than today. I'm not saying there havent always been those breeding for traits other than gameness, but I believe its more prevalent today than it was back then.

4. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

A pit bull that comes from PRODUCING STOCK is where you MIGHT find gameness.

In the 30-40's, Ferguson's Centipede, a well known dog from history did this...

The match between Centipede and Black Boy would qualify as a classic contest. The dogs met in the center like a couple of freight trains, and first Black Boy had the upper hand. In fact, the lead changed a couple of times, with its being anyone's match up until the two-hour mark. At that point, Centipede finally took command for good. Saddler gave it up in 22 more minutes in a desperate attempt to save his dog.

And there are more historical stories where dogs went longer, and from farther back in history.

I hope this tidbit of historical info is okay to put here as it was prior to the laws against the sport.

5. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

you can breed two game bred dogs and not get a game dog..you can breed a hard biter to another hard biter and get a soft mouth dog...as far as time it has to do with conditioning and equality...cant run a marithon unless trained to..

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I think this all comes from people buying into the HSUS propaganda myths that dog-fighting is only an inner city back-alley thing done by thugs, and hillbillies in the country, and that they "train the dogs to fight, force them to fight, and beat them and starve them!". We all know its bullshit, but to an outsider looking in...whose word are you going to take for it? Thats right, a well-known group like the HSUS that everyone thinks is run by angels and do no-wrong.

In reality, back in the day almost ALL pitbull dogs were used for their original purposes. It wasnt like today where any Dick and Jane can walk into someones backyard from a newspaper ad, pay 200 bucks and walk home with a "pure bread pitt". People understood the need for strong genes, strong breeding practices, culling, and game-testing to keep this breed strong. I will tell ya, the breed would be in a much better place if those breeding qualities still existed, and testing of stock could still take place legally.

Its like what I seen in the preview for "Off-the-chain", they say something ridiculous like..."The American Pitbull Terrier is a very diffrent breed now than it was!". Damn straight! It was true dogmen who owned this breed, kept it responsibly, and the best damn working dogs this world has ever seen, along with great family pet qualities to boot! They want to say "but Petey this, and Petey that!". Petey was the exception....nearly all bulldogs were of fighting stock. Petey was the way he was because he was descended from game stock! You breed away from the pit,and you lose the qualities needed for the pit.....and THAT is why we are in the predicaments we are in today. You will find true dogmen of today, differ very little from dogmen of old...the only diffrence is better veterinary care,and medicines to help a dog recover. The only thing that has changed is THEY introduced bullshit myths and rumors to further their agenda, pit-fighting was outlawed, and low-lifes became attracted to the breed like the plague and took the HSUS myths as truth and abuse their dogs.

7. simms

simms CH Dog

Well Said!

8. Suki

Suki Guest

yeah, as usual nice reply, 14Rock.

I think you nailed it with, ... "You breed away from the pit,and you lose the qualities needed for the pit.....and THAT is why we are in the predicaments we are in today"....

couldn't agree more.

9. Breogan

Breogan Big Dog

Well put, Rock. I couldn't agree more. If pit-fighting hadn't been outlawed only responsible dogmen would even know what a Pit Bull was.The breed has existed in this country for at least a hundred years and you rarely ever heard it's name and when you did it was always in a positive light.
    And fights lasting two minutes would have either been between two rank curs who both tried to jump the pit or one dog was a hell of an ace. I've read of fights lasting up to three and four hours and fights were both dogs died afterwards so so much for two minutes and a cut ear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  10. greybeard

greybeard Pup

I guess none of y'all has ever been hog hunting with a good catch dog. That sure doesn't get your dog chewed up and possibly ruined for life with a leg bite.

11. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

Galvain's Pup AKA the Gashouse Pup's final match went 4hours 59minutes. Both dogs died afterward, circa 1900.

12. E X A C T L Y my Point of view...

13. cary-dude

cary-dude Big Dog

right on rock-breed away from the pit, then lose the qualities of the pit! very well put.

14. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

Greybeard what are you on about??? Hog dogging is a rough sport, but it don't test gameness like their original purpose. Hog dogging will get a dogs guts cut, necks, etc.... will that possibly ruin your dog for life???? Yes, so what's your point? Mouser

15. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I want to know why the APBT got stuck with the PIT part. Pit is referred to any dog with the characteristics of a bull dog. The Bull Terrier don't have pit in his name. Nor the Amstaff or other breeds. How come the APBT has it? That's what makes everyone Histerical!!! Why can't he just be called the American Bull Terrier???