1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

requirements

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JCleve86, Jan 7, 2005.

1. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

Two part question:

1. For those of you who breed or rescue, what are your requirements for potential owners of your dogs?

2. I know many require experience with the breed, but what about folks like myself who have dog experience, just not personal breed experience, but know a lot about the breed? Honestly, I don't want to waste my time with another breed...I know pit bulls are *my* breed. (Yes, I have Boxers right now, but they are family/my mom's dogs). NO, I don't intend to get dogs at the present time (living at home while I finish college). I'm talking about two or three years from now when I get my RN degree, start my nursing career, and buy a house.

2. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

Well as a Rescue I look for people That can prove that they can provide a loving and stable home but most of all you must know Each case is different some pits really require someone with experience some need to be placed in as the only dog and some need to be placed with a single person or a family with NO kids many can be placed anywhere tank proper care will be given. If at all posable i try to let the dog pick the person and if they tell them, if they ever need help with them illl be here to do so and if they for some reason cant take care of the placement,handel them,aford them, to bring them back and i will find them a new home.and if i get a pit that some dumb ass person has made mean i will keep them my self and a lot of the time (in time) with lots of love,understanding,training,hardwork and perseverance the mean will no longer be.

Ps: If you have never had a partnership with an APBT how do you know it is the right breed for you?

3. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

Through extensive research...knowing what I do about pit bulls, there really isn't anything else I would want. I've had some experience with the breed (my aunt owns a pit bull that I watch occasionally, take for walks, etc. etc. etc. and I absolutely love her to pieces). I do understand you questioning me though...I'm actually going to start working with a rescue up here so I suppose I would have more experience (though not outright ownership experience) by the time I do want a dog.

4. Vador

Vador Big Dog

where in washington state...my bros from a seattle suburb

5. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

They have to own their own house. No rentals. If they live with family, then it must be a family decision and the entire family must be present.. I;'ve had alot of people living at mom with mom and dad of age want an APBT but mom and dad are dead set against it. I will not let them try out a dog lol

They cannot live in an area that has BSL They must show knowledge of their city/town/village/townships/ animal laws (leash, fence, etc) I think this is highly important

they have to have experience with owning and taking care of dogs in general. Everyone has to stat out with a first APBT sometime.. The only problem is I dont consider having a dog as a child as actually owning taking care of a dog. Because 9 times out of ten it is actually the parents taking care of the dog..
    but there are exceptions to the rules lol. That why a interview is important

They have to have personal referrences, one vet referrence (that doesnt mean they cant give the dog their own vaccines ...but everyone needs a good vet on hand)

They have to show clear understanding of the breed.

not to mention all the other stuff already said

Its important for the dogs personality to match the new owners

yep..this sounds like alot and does seem to make it hard to adopt a APBT but because of the problems facing the breed, one has to be careful. If someone doesnt want ot go through all this then they clearly arent ready for a breed of dog that demands more responsilbity than any other breed out there.