1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Schutzhund pictures and video

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by performanceknls, Sep 9, 2009.

1. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

This was taken this weekend and thank you Shana for taking pictures and video.
    Siren running the blinds, she is doing good and this was her first time on three blinds
    YouTube - Siren running the blinds
    Siren working the bark and hold and running the blinds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIFVnFKnX20
    Typhoon is doing great!
    YouTube - Typhoon doing well in Schutzhund
    Tempest working on bark and hold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E0saF5_FeU

Here is Siren over the Meter jump
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trinity loves it more and more!
    [​IMG]
    This is after she popped me in the face with he sleeve and just about knocked me out!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She was going to get that sleeve! Teach it a lesson! You don't mess with a petbull!
    [​IMG]
    Typhoon, not bad for a 43lbs blue dog ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tempest
    [​IMG]
    look at her sexy booty! lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Siren looking ripped, she is working on her Sch 1 we hope to get in Nov not bad for a RBJ
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=302411
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009
  2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Love the pics performanceknls keep up the good work..............

3. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

looking good any books u recommend for training im looking more into personal protection but classes are very expensive so i just wanna start reading up before i get my dog

4. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

theres a big difference in people bitters an traind protection dogs

nice pics

5. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I do not like APBT as personal protection dogs, many do not have the guardian trait needed for that. The dogs pictured above are crappy guard or protection dogs except Typhoon who has natural guardian traits. While a sport like Schutzhund can be done by most breeds personal protection (PP) is best done by dogs with guardian traits like Mastiffs, Rotties, GSD, Dutch Sheps, and so on. Sch sport is done by using things like prey which is the sleeve. If I sent my dog after the decoy and he dropped the sleeve and walked away my dogs would not go after him but instead pick up the sleeve. Sch and PP do not go hand in hand for many breeds or dogs. It just depends on the individual dog and what they are capable of doing.

I do not have PP info but I can say don;t do it with an APBT get a breed that is better at it and do not attempt to do it your self, you can make a viscous dog and that is not what PP is about. Start saving now as it does cost $ to get started with a trainer for PP.

6. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

I agree with you perf. (above post) but great pics none the less...

7. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I just learned something I thought sch. was a display of a dog ability at carring out task such as pp
    with obediance as a guide to judging
    guess I was wrong

8. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

Awesome pix! Great looking dogs.

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Sch is a choreographed sport and while they need to show strong nerve it does not mean mean all are great guard dogs. My dogs work allot out of prey and some defense but you could walk in my yard and take them out of the dog runs with out an issue. That is what I have guard dogs to protect the APBT's and the best breed at least for me is a dutch shepherd.

2 of my Sch dogs are therapy dogs with TDInc

While this article talks about some Sch dogs not showing good nerve, I disagree to a point. PP is real life and Sch is a sport, I have Owned dogs like Kaos and Typhoon who would have no problem taking out a real threat at our place outside of Sch. Kaos fought off intruders when our house was broken into and they hit him repeatedly to get him off and that dog showed great nerve and did not back down till they were gone. Not all dogs have that nerve but some do and that is why I disagree where he said all SCH would run with tails tucked.

Schutzhund Titled Dogs: Sporting Dogs VS. Personal Protection Dogs

<!--StartFragment-->
    One of the most frequent topics of conversation I have with clients involves Schutzhund titled dogs. There is a lot of confusion surrounding the difference between Schutzhund (sporting) dogs and true protection dogs, even within the dog industry itself. Both dogs vary widely in their training and genetics but one thing is fact: Schutzhund trained dogs, with few exceptions, rarely make excellent personal protection dogs. It’s a controversial statement to make but my years of experience have shown this to be true. Unfortunately, much to the detriment of a person needing true protection, companies are selling Schutzhund titled dogs and labeling them as protection dogs.[​IMG]
    “Schutzhund” literally means “protection dog” in German. The sport, originating at the turn of the century, was used as a testing method for determining if a dog was suitable for breeding. Through the years the strong genetics once indicative of a Schutzhund dog have become diluted. Additionally, the training required to become a titled dog is contradictory to the methods protection dogs need to utilize when fighting off an attacker.
    You have most likely seen photos or video of sporting dogs biting and holding onto a sleeve of a decoy pretending to be “the bad guy”. It can be a rather impressive display. However, true protection dogs should never be trained in this manner! Hanging onto the sleeve of an attacker gives him time to use a weapon against the dog. Unlike protection training, Schutzhund does not require the dog to target the weapon hand first. In fact, sporting dogs focus on the forearm. Our training method involves teaching our dogs to bite the wrist of the hand holding the weapon since this is fastest way to disarm him. True protection dogs will then inflict a series of deep bites to both the legs and the arms until the handler calls the dog off. If you were being attacked and your dog needed to come to your defense, which method would you prefer?
    Other training techniques vary greatly. For instance, sporting dogs are trained to search and rescue by taking scent on the ground. Our dogs are also trained for search and rescue but, like wolves in nature, they take their scent from the air. Taking scent from the air is very useful for rescue since the terrain of the ground may be aged- an impediment for ground tracking. Dogs trained to take scent from the air are more productive and have fewer challenges in finding a missing person, especially along large expanses of ground.
    It is rare to see a sporting dog with the genetics needed for protection work. Genetically, we look for dogs that have a ‘guard drive’, a strong desire to defend and the nerves to back it up. On rare occasion, I will run across a Schutzhund dog that is genetically equipped for protection but it doesn’t happen often, perhaps five times in my career. CCK9 does not sell sporting dogs; we only sell protection dogs. We take the safety of our clients very seriously and will not jeopardize this for the sake of sales or for the display of flashy titles. Frankly, I couldn’t sleep at night if I did.
    I am often asked if Schutzhund trained dogs can be trained to be protection dogs and vice versa. The short answer is no. When placed in a situation where the dog needs to defend its handler, he or she will revert to their original training. Dogs resort to their foundation education under stress. For the most part, a titled dog will likely run out of a room with its tail between its legs; they lack the nerve and training. Cross training simply is not a good idea.
    Sporting dogs definitely have their place and many find the sport enjoyable. The sport does have a dark side and I have heard of dogs being granted a Schutzhund title over a cup of coffee. It’s important that these dogs are purchased from reputable breeders. If a client of mine insists on a titled dog I will evaluate Schutzhund dogs for them- but only after making sure they know that the dog isn’t trained to protect. I always emphasize, however, how great it is to own a true protection dog. Not only are they balanced, stable and great with children and pets but ready and able to defend your family. Plus, you can take them anywhere- the park, shops, the airport, anywhere without worrying about the dog’s behavior or your own safety. Personal protection dogs truly are the best of all worlds.
    The choice is yours. But do your homework before purchasing a protection dog. After all, if you ever have the misfortune of being attacked one thing is certain- titles will not serve to defend you.

my source for this
    http://www.cck9.com/blog/?p=320

10. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

in sch competition what does a bad hold mean

11. mommy2kane

mommy2kane Big Dog

do you mean a bark and hold?

12. TNK

TNK Pup

Is the term different in the US verses over Sea's
    Hold and Bark or Bark and Hold ?

13. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I ment a bad hold
    just asking

14. mommy2kane

mommy2kane Big Dog

Nah not really people just mix them up in the rule book it's Hold and Bark

15. KINGKRACKER1

KINGKRACKER1 Big Dog

nice Work But....i Was Told By My Doctor Who Competes In The Shc That The "owner" Od The Dog Never Ever Wears The "bite Sleeve" For Different Reasons...his Dogs Are Imported From Germany And They Are Shepards And 1 Of His Boys Is Off A "world Champion" Not Just National He Goes To Germany To Compete And His Dogs Are Trained In The German Language...he Wants Me To Get My Boy Tristan To Start Training To See If He Can Earn His Shc 1.

16. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

Siren is a great looking dog!

17. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I have worn a sleeve with my dogs at home but one to work on grip development. That is totally not me in the pictures with the sleeve on if that is what you are saying.

Thanks for the compliments guys we have been working hard with these four dogs.

18. Corley

Corley Big Dog

There is need of more APBT in Schutzund, Ring Sport, and American Street Ring. That can change the public view of our beloved APBT.