1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Severe diarrhea

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MIKA, Apr 1, 2007.

1. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I just adopted an 8 month old female from a lady that lost her land and had to git rid of her pup. She told me she was feeding it Ole Roy. I didn't want to take any of it home with me to mix in to switch her foods. She told me she had rescued the pup from the vet, (the pup had parvo and the owners just left her there) when it was about 4 months old. I have her rabies tag but not her shot record. I feed Diamond Natural to all my dogs. Do ya'll think that the switch to a better quality food is causing this? This is her third day with me. Her stool some times is like a cow patty but I just saw her stool shoot out like water. No blood and no bad odor. I was wonderin if she needs to go on to the vet? She has an appointment in 4 days to go but I don't know if I should wait that long. Anything I can give her to stop the runs?

2. NC

NC CH Dog

I'd take her to the vet.. I mean especially since you don't want anything she might have passed on to your dogs. Besides diarrhea leads to dehydration.. something to be careful with.

3. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

No, don't give any pepto or anything like that. It could be a case of nerves, new place and all, but if it's not better tommorow, I think I would go ahead and take her in. Better safe than sorry.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Very rarely does diarrhea occur from switching from a poor quality food to a better one. And hold off on the Pepto as Pepto contains aspirin which can cause stomach upset (ironic, huh? ;) ).

I suggest getting to the vet tomorrow & have a fecal check done.

5. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

""I didn't want to take any of it home with me to mix in to switch her foods.""

Sounds to me that it is just because of the sudden change in diet...

6. JAGER

JAGER Big Dog

i was thinking the same thing it might be just a change in the diet. but im no expert. take him to the vet .

7. Attila

Attila Guest

Just take it to the vet. May need some fluids now via IV. Never use pepto. I have used Imodium but with dogs that are mine, not some dog I don't know a thing about. People don't always take care of dogs as they should as far as worming and so on. Could be many things. Nerves, feed change, parasites, something worse, anything. It is best to find what that anything is before you contaminate your yard, dogs, soil and all. While you are at it get a water hose sprayer, two gallons of industrial bleech from lows, one 25-50 pound bag of hydrated lyme and clean your yard, dog houses, trees, every thing that the dog or any other animal can get in contact with. Do this three of four times of year. This goes for any one that has animals. Kill them parasites, parvo, and other viruses, bacteria, deseases that can be carried into your yard from rats, squirells, moles, possume, coon, cats or what ever. You should know this stuff more than knowing a good keep or how to condition a dog. You can't keep or condition dead dogs. Next time you foster something take it to the vet before you take it to your yard. That is a must. Period. You get a new dog from any place your first stop should be the vet not some pet store. This is for every one.

8. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Thanks everybody.I got up this morning and was gettin ready for work when I saw DEBO having the runs. I wasn't takin any chances so I took 1/2 day vacation and spent my morning at the vet. I made 4 trips and all checked out good. My vet said to go back to HI-TEK RATIONS. Thanks for all ya'lls help and advice.:D

9. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Good news that alls OK...Paco my Chi has a really sensative stomach...he eats the slightest bit of table scraps and its boiled chicken and rice for a week! You wouldn't believe how much a 4 lb. dog can crap unless you saw it!!