1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Shade for my male

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MIKA, May 24, 2007.

1. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I need to come up with some ideas on making shade for one of my dogs. Where he's at there is no trees. I can't move him as I have 7 other dogs on my yard and there is no more shady spots on my property. I'm planting 4 more trees this weekend but it will be a couple of years before they block the sun. It was 83 degrees here today and I give all my dogs feed and water in the morning before work and as soon as I get home I water again and bring him in the house to cool down. I feed and water again at night before bed. I just hate pullin in and seein him out in the sun. He has a Igloo type dog house with the vent in the top and thats where he stays during the day. Any ideas?

2. you could go get a piece of plywood and lean it against the house for shade

3. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Great idea and I thought about that but i'm worried about the wind catchin it and blowin it down and him gettin his chain all wrapped up and really be stuck out in the sun while i'm at work. Thanks for your advice. Any more help?

4. put a cinderblock at the bottom of the wood so i wont go no where

5. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Never thought about that, I will give it a shot, thanks for your help!!

6. it has worked for me.

7. WWII

WWII Banned

Or screw it to his dog house.

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

2x4's and plywood are all you need.make a little open space for him to lie under with that.i always just took 2 2x4's then nailed the plywood on the back and top.but before you do it cement the bottom of the 2x4's into the ground or in a couple buckets to keep it stable and you are good to go.i make a shade structure for them pretty reasonable and get everything i need at my local hardware store.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Check out the bottom two pictures on this link, its what I use.

http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/prospectsandyoungdogs.htm

Pretty simple, and I pick most of it up from dumpsters at construction site.

I take a couple of landscaping 4x4's and make an "A-Frame" and brace with one 2"x4" and then I nail plywood to each side. Sit it where it shades them in morning and afternoon and turn it so they can't hang themselves over it.

10. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Get a 1 1/2" steel round bar, 5' long. Dig a 2' deep, 2' diameter hole, and drive the steel down into the center of the hole till only 26" is left above ground level. Set this in concrete. Slide a 3" harness ring over the steel for the chain, and then weld a 1/4" thick 4'X4' steel plate to the rod. Weld it very good, and weld some 45degree braces 6" long on all four sides back to the steel. You can cover the plate with plywood, and put the dog house on top of this, and you have an above ground dog house/shade spot/chain axle set up all in one!

11. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!! I like the idea, never thought about the buckets!! Thanks so much!!

12. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Thanks Shane, I saved the two pics. I'm gettin so many ideas and I sure do like your set up. It's mobile, lite weight, I will build one this long weekend and try it. Thanks man

13. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

That is one I had NEVER thought of!!! It sounds like a dang good setup and I may just try it and wind up doin it for all 8 of my dogs! Super set up, Thanks alot.

14. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

you are more than welcome,nothing fancy but will get the job done.takes me about 10 minutes to assemble after the cement dries.

BoogiemanBlood likes this.
  15. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

You can get a barrels and build a top for it. I keep my dog's houses facing north or south, that away they can always have shade from the east or west. We are out in a pasture with no trees at all so I make my houses with alot of over hang from the roof. But here is one of the barrels that you could fix up pretty easy. You can use the green house fiber glass roofing or metal roofing, depending on if you think your dog would hurt himself or not.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

[​IMG]

shade via plywood

i need to post an updated pic, as since then i've put a piece of wood in the gap on the plywood to the roof, added a step the the front of the house, and a 1x6 across the front to hold the straw in that's there now.

but plywood, some nails, and a concrete block/bricks at the bottom to keep it from catchin a breeze and flying away.

Good luck.

17. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Very nice sey up you got there!

18. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I like it!!! Nice dog you have too.