1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a SBT? Title sounds dumb, I know.

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by SnoopDawg, Nov 22, 2013.

1. dbliny2

dbliny2 Pup

Get a show stafford thats what ur lookin for

2. jacko

jacko CH Dog

a stafford was the first dog i owned (of my own), he was a complete nutter, but i just learnt as i went along / the hard way lol. brilliant dogs,
    the average stafford is good enough, as a pet. just be responsible , containment, leash walking, training etc

3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Pup

Thank you :)

I really like the things I read about their temperament, and really like them visualy, also I can go run with it etc, cant answer this really good man, I dont know, I just like them alot, prefer them to APBT's.

I expect to be a loyal, loving, athletic companion.

Put my pride aside to do whats best for the breed? I cant fully understand the question, probably yes, probably not, dont know, I wont make myself look like a retarded idiot, so the dog could be happy if thats what your asking

4. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

When I say put ur pride aside I mean u only started liking dogs 6 moths ago. So do u think u have the experience to not put ur dog in a bad situation. If u are not ready, be able to admit ur not and delay getting one until u have learned how to handle dogs in general.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Yep good ole USA.You fellas know what the news will call this dog if he gets in trouble?lol u can be sure it wont be a SBT

6. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Pup

Oh, I definitely admit Im a noob, I dont have the experience to not put my dog in a bad situation, because the only dog I ever walked was my friends american bulldog, and he was with me on the walk, cant be experienced without having a dog. But Im pretty sure I wont "put" my dog in a bad situation, you can be the best owner in the world and your dog still can be attacked by another dog for example.
    The american bulldog I walker was completely undisciplined, untrained, he pulled on the leash like a horse the whole time, and was agressive towards some other dogs, yet they never had problems with him in the house.

7. jacko

jacko CH Dog

can you go to a breed show, ask to handle a few dogs, also ask lots of questions, all the = plus and minuses of owning the breed.

8. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Problems in the house are usually low. It's when friends come over or u take the dog outside or on walks. There are body postures every breed shows before reacting. If u can learn to recognize them u can prevent problems before they start. If u had any real experience with dogs it would change things. Walking a dog once is not experience. From reading ur original post and the responses u have made it seems like u walked that dog and liked how it felt having that big dog on a lead and people looking at u and that big tough dog. I think u chose the staffy because people told u they look like pits but aren't as mean. I really feel u need to get a different breed to start. I feel u want the dog because it looks tough. If that's the reason u are not ready for one.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

9. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Pup

Thats a very good post man, thanks, I admited I have no real experience multiple times, If I had, I would have gotten the dog already, without asking I definitely did NOT like the dog pulling, I would like it to walk beside me calmly not pulling at all, I dont give a u know what about people looking at me and the dog, I dont have ego issues and want the dog to be my friend etc, not make me look "tougher"., thats my favorite breed, cant tell you exactly why, because I dont know, it just is, I think I can prevent the pulling/disobedience issue, because Ill start training as soon as I get it at just a few weeks old, firmly but without being harsh, do the best I can, the bulldog I walked was almost 3 years old and never had any training. Will study the body language.
    "Problems in the house are usually low" Thats awesome, thats something I needed to know.

10. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

U had made up ur mind u were getting a staffy before u asked the question. The only answers u have accepted were the ones u wanted to hear. I wish u the best of luck and really hope u do read as much as u can to familiarize yourself with behavior issues and proper handling techniques. I will second the answer u got earlier that u need to find a show ring dog from a long line of show dogs. With u having no experience it will fit u better than a dog from a BYB or any dog from a game line.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

11. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....just get your-self a staff...there for the, most more placid...but as like any other bull breeds theres no way of telling how they will react no matter what line they come from...

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

what do you folks call a staff ? amstaff ?

13. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I don't know where Blue8bull is located or what he was speaking of specifically but in the US most will say staff for SBT or amstaff for AST.

14. jacko

jacko CH Dog

in England we call sbt staffords,

15. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Pup

No, I didnt, I just would really like to get one, thats why I study the breed and came here for help, Ill get either a dachshund or border collie, if not SBT.

16. jacko

jacko CH Dog

none of the breeds you just mentioned come without issues, 2 bite people 1 bites animals lol

17. treezpitz

jacko...some will say that as well. I thought you're question just asked what breed are we speaking of when someone refers to it as a "staff". Me personally, I don't know many people in the US with staffords. The one guy I do know personally always says it all the way out so people know what breed he is talking about. But then again, they aren't as popular here as they are there.

To the OP... IMO your first dog should not be a apbt,sbt,ast or any of the similar breeds. If you haven't had a dog before it would be wise to get a breed that will give you dog ownership experience but will not come with as many risks/responsibilities as the breeds listed above. Once you have first hand experience with owning/raising dogs and you still want one of those breeds, then you'd be more prepared then you are now. By the way, you've had very good advice above but it does seem like you're only hearing what you want to.

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Tree its the same way where I live.I never saw a SBT in real life till about 4 yrs ago.I have saw a couple Am Staffs..The lady i know thats got some now ,she also breeds APBTs.And her and her husband back in the day did breed quite a few ch s and gr chs....APBTs

19. jacko

jacko CH Dog

thats cool.............

20. treezpitz

Yup, same story here. Saw my first/only SBT about 5/6 years ago but amstaffs are alot more popular everywhere I've lived. As we all know alot of the general public owns amstaffs or amstaff crosses and they don't even know it. "I got a pit bull" they would say lol