1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Should the Game-Dog definition of Game/Gamess be updated?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by TwistedMettle, May 17, 2010.

1. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

cool ....creating one is mine....lol;)

2. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

Now that we got that straightened out...........

Still waiting on the corrections/lessons about your "definition of....." and my statement about all dogs being curs. I have another thought i would like you to comment on but i'll wait till you address the first two.

3. baconffa

baconffa Pup

the way yall all talk is very funny because ive seen it both ways first hand and to me its pretty much the same till you have to sew a dog whole left side up on a truck tailgate because the dog wouldnt give up on that pig and that pig wouldnt either but in the end the wins its the same yall just sit back and think real hard on before everybody fights over some little word thats used in the same world by two diffrent types of people in that world in the other world its the same as what i said up top bout the hog and the dog theres gr ch hog dogs and theris ch hog dogs but u train and teach and do everything in between so you can have a gr ch dog instead of a ch dog just like any other sport rigt or wrong

4. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

BTW, whoever said the quote about a dead game dog is one left down to long, lol, that was right on the money, D.G.:) that made my day, dg is a puppy peddler who think he is a dog man or a person who has never witness gameness. I think some have "getting an ass kicking" and gameness confused. There is one way to test gameness in a APBT, period end of conversation. Just like the johnny cash song, walking the line for both the owner/dog. There is dogs out there to stupid to run and to stupid to dish it back so taking an ass whoopin is not gameness. A good weight pull dog, a good hunting dog or whatever is just that a good weight pull or hunting dog they are not a "game bulldog". A bulldog is different than any other breed of dog. People can use the word gameness in other breeds but only a true fancier of the bulldog truly knows gameness when they see it. Boys the days of the game dog are probably done except for the few unspoken in the world and I don't believe gameness is worth seeing a jail cell for 10 to 20 IMO. Kind of like defining love for another person or your wife/husband ,kids or dogs or whatever, you can't put your hands on it, you can't buy it, you can't force it, you can't train for it, you can't trick it, it is free like the wind from god and only a few dogs deserve to have that word spoken in the same sentence as their name. Gameness is a hard one to define but when you see it you will know it you will have no doubts about what the definition is then and boy can those game bulldogs dish it as good as they can take it.

close as I can get, the spirit of not giving up in the face of adversity despite self preservation. This is one of the best discussions of gameness I have read before.

BTW, I meant no disrespect to the hog hunter, patty's owners or any other people. I have done that all too but there is nothing like a good ole bulldog.

5. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

Right. But here is the problem (for me):

"ive seen it both ways first hand..."

I haven't so i try to understand by definition/analogy. Rigor is analogous to culling.

From my understanding, it is very difficult to scratch into a hog. Cajun rules apply different constraints which may affect the thing your looking for/at.

6. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

There is dogs out there to stupid to run and to stupid to dish it back so taking an ass whoopin is not gameness.

Very interesting Statement. You seem to be making a distinction within a distinction. It is a lot harder to meet (and identify) two states than one. Many more counter-examples......

the spirit of not giving up in the face of adversity despite self preservation.

Are you defining gameness or dead gameness (....despite self preservation)? Is there a difference besides the obvious (dead/alive)? CA. Jack says "100% dead game", as oppose to...? 98%? is there gradations of dead gameness?

7. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

This is what i think gameness looks like:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2m-DJmGriHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2m-DJmGriHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is a cur:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWWrxvsQV8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWWrxvsQV8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. homer39

homer39 Banned

sorry junebug but i must be missing something,if it wasnt for the handler in the first match them two birds would have just lay there and stopped fighting this is the first time iv seen birds matched but iv two eyes

9. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I asked an oldtimer this question when I was green.I asked him say you have a dog that goes 2hours plus and wins but is never in trouble,the other dog doesn't bite that hard. Does that make this dog that won gamer then say a dog that goes 30 minutes with a dog that bites like a gator and just breaksdown a dog in short order, and loses because he is picked up? He thought about it and said no it doesn't.Both are game but different levels.He said sometimes a cur will stay in as long as its not getting hurt or is on top.Knowing which dog to breed is knowledge of the bloodlines and your own ideas of what you are breeding for.

10. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

11. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

Good post murder. I agree. The operative word/phrase in the oldtimers statement is ".......but different levels." If you look closely at the definition provided by the OP, it contains the word "grade". Although that same definition says that "gameness" can be "obtained" by "conditioning":eek:

12. homer39

homer39 Banned

junebug all i seen is the two birds looking hard at each other when they were down i think if the handler wasnt there they would have stopped fighting just like in the wild one would have walked away

13. I agree with you. I am tired of people telling me that our dogs are not game when they will fight with a boar to the death, even saving the hunter's life. My husband doesn't shoot the hog when he hunts them. No matter the size of the hog, the dog holds the hog and he flips it over, ties it up, and walks it out ALIVE. He did this with a 450 lb. boar that my dog Semi-Sweet caught, it blinded her in one eye with its tusk. She never let go... never even acted like she was in pain, he didn't know she had been gored in the eye until it was all over with. If she would have let go, she would have been killed no doubt about it, hell he could have been killed. That same hog had gutted a buddy of our's dog on a hunt before that. The hog got away that time, our dogs didn't go on that hunt.... But the next time around when our dogs did go, she caught that monster. He said her and the other dog were being slung like ragdolls but they do their job and LOVE every minute of it even in extreme pain, they keep goin'. They are gladiators :) As far as I know, hog hunting is one of the few legal ways to test gameness.

14. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

my opinion on that would be the hog isn't fighting out of choice and the dog can sense the hog would rather not be there? some what like a bully and maybe when on bottom with an animal who does want to be there things may be different?

15. The hog may not want to be in the fight, but they will charge a person or a dog, believe me I know... I'm not talking about the hog being game.

The dog will fight to the end whether it started it or not. I liked the definition above "the spirit of not giving up in the face of adversity despite self preservation". The dog can preserve its life but chooses to fight to the end because it LOVES it.

16. Just like fighting dogs loved being in the pit. They live to do it, just like my dogs live to catch hogs.

17. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

never seen a hog hunt as im from the uk but to me wild animals fight out of fear the dogs can read this even when on bottom the wild animal doesnt want to be there so i wouldnt call the dog game. Think well just have to agree to disagree last thing i want is a cyber war :D

18. Yeah, this one will never be resolved but it makes a good discussion :)

19. ITs one of your mutts that quickest at the a-frame :eek4:

20. You never had a dog that performed.......

good at track and field aint the same as the []......:alarm: