1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Should there be an age limit on owning pit bulls?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by miakoda, May 23, 2005.

?

Should there be an age limit on pit bull ownership?

1. 14 yrs old

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. 16 yrs old

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. 18 yrs old

20 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. 21 yrs old

30 vote(s)
    38.0%
  5. There should not be an age limit on pit bull ownership

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

And I have respect for you as well. :)

It is so very true that many people over the age of 18 are capable. So what about looking younger? Do many of you honestly feel that a 14 yr old (someone in the 9th/10th grade) is perfectly capable of owning, (solely....we can't always rely on someone else to help us/bail us out) financially supporting, training a bulldog? Think back when you were in the 9th grade............

Yes, thank God it's America. Or else I would not be able to ask questions/polls such as this.;)

2. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

My mom took in a dog when i was 13. When i turned 14 i asked if the dog could be mine because i was the only one taking care of it. She agreed. I paid for everything my dog needed. Food, vet bills, nuetering, medication, toys treats. Whatever he needed i paid for it. I was working as a professional clown then making $30 an hour and babysitting full time.

Just because a person is young doesnt make them irrsponsible. I got my first pit when i was 18. Her along with my other 3 dogs are all taken care of very well and are healthy and UTD on all thier shots.

3. Tikki

Tikki Pup

I beleif that a person sho is reasponible enough should be allowed to own a pit bull. I know very young people who take more care in their dogs, then some people who have been in the game a long time. But another question to ask is how would you determine who is reasponible enough, age would not work.

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

I agree, I was a 16 year old like you back in the day but then again I had a mentor also and lived in the Californian Dessert and if Daddy saw me mistreat a dog bet your old lady he was whooping my ass. But I never did an ill thing to any dog, I was raised to know the difference, but these kids in the hood and around the block I see from Chicago to the Twin Cities and sadly enough right here at home in the midwest heartland of Iowa don't know this difference. I would definitely put a age limit set at 18 if I could but it wont work unless it was done with all breeds because of discrimination laws. Also the sad thing is I had just recently seen a 19 year old bring a pup down to our place and to motivate it he yelled smacked and mistreated this 4mos old pup to do more than play with another puppy like it should at that age anyway. I told him thats not my dog son but if you touch it like that again on my yard im going to beat your little ass. He looked shocked like he thought he was following some rule and I said dogs do your will because they love you not because they fear you. In his eyes I could see this was the first time he contemptplated this thought and obviously had never been told this...makes me wonder whre he picked up his education? So then again maybe we shouldn't look at the age maybe we should give an admittance test for all ages. I have seen some very educated and smart 15 year olds and some real dumb ignorant 40 year olds so this may be the best solution if it were any more possible to accomplish, which sadly it isn't any easier than applying age requirements.

Age constitutes no experiance.
    Experiance constitutes no age.

B likes this.
  5. B

B CH Dog

Good post.

B

6. Camo

Camo Pup

Great post. A good mentor is priceless. Gary Hammonds was mine.
    "A wise man learns from his mistakes.
    A wiser man learns from anothers mistakes.
    A fool rarely learns from his own."
    I guess the whole age limit thing depends on a persons individuality, his or her social enviroment, and his or her sheer determination to do what is right with the life they are responsible for.

B likes this.
  7. I'm 27 with my fist pit. I have to say if I new about this breed then I would not be here. I do not think there should be an age limit, but there should be classes for every one that is going in to a new breed, or getting there first dog. Not just for the ones that is 18 and under, but for every one. After all ask yourself which is better: some one under 18 that can take care of there dog, but needs help paying vet bills so mom and dad helps out: some one over 18 that can pay for anything the dog needs but dose not no much about that breed or how to really take care of dog besides the basics?

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I never said it did. But then again, are people like you & me the majority? honestly?

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

In my opinion if you are under 18 and own a pit your parents should be the true owners and be responsible for the dog even if they did buy it for you. Once you reach 18 then you can be the true owner and take full responsibility for your dog.

10. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Top Dog

I say 18 because you can't really own anything under your own name until you are 18.

11. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

Agreed. I'm 19, and my family owns 2 Boxers. I've considered moving out several times, a major motivating factor being that I could get a bulldog. I've decided against that several times because I need to finish college first. I've got a few years left to get my degree so that I can move out, BUY a house, have a stable life, and THAN get a dog. I really don't think age has as much to do with one's ability to be a good dog owner as maturity, education, and what a person still needs to do with their own life (get an education, buy a house, etc. etc. etc.). For some that may even include getting married or having children, as I'm sure those of you involved with rescue know these are "excellent" reasons for dumping a dog. That being said, I know some kids younger than me who are ready to have dogs. They are financially independant, are responsible "adults," and know enough about the breed to own bulldogs.

As far as being old enough to buy a beer...well, if you ask me, if your old enough to go to war and DIE for your country, your damn well old enough to have a dog.

12. when i got diegoh i had barely turned 16 and i did decently... so i think its a matter of know-how and understanding of the breed...

13. B

B CH Dog

Good post.

B

14. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

i go to school and buy my dogs food with my money and i take them to the vet with my money and im 14.i dont think there should an age limit on pits.

15. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

that kinda what i was thinking

16. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

hell yeah it matters,,,if ya aint old nuff to buy a beer you shouldnt own a pit..period

IF YA TO OLD TO HOLD YA BLADDA U SHOULDNT OWN ONE EITHER

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  17. LOL... that's a li'l drastic, but still funny

18. That is a funny story there! I could visualize the action through your words....

PS. It is "El Salvador"

19. I certainly believe there should be restrictions in owning working dogs. In particular our breed. I picked 21 b/c there was no older age to pick. In fact, I strongly believe that a person that owns a dog should be in a stable life. I do not believe this is the case for teen and twenty something individuals. Most teens' drive is to hang out, meet people of the opposite gender, schooling, etc. There is not much time for one to one connection with a dog. A twenty something person does (in most cases) not have a stable life b/c of being busy in college, intern, a new job, a "first" serious relationship, a new apartment, new expenses, etc. Too many new things to worry about to actually have valuable time with a dog. Notice I have not accounted for maturity factor!

Owning a dog is a serious investment in time and effort. Too many young people have little time for things not 'young people' related.

20. I certainly agree with Frijolero. There should be an age requirement and age limit. Older people (65 and over) should not begin owning game breds at this age. It is too much for someone inexperience and may create dangerous conditions for them and people in the neighborhood.