1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Showing a puppy???

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by mikefromMD, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

I have never shown a dog before, nor I have I ever been to a show. (Seen the Westminster on TV). I am seriously thinking about showing my 4 month old female pup. Any tips, the show is next month. Are there special leashes, stances, diet etc.. I imagine it's not quite as serious w/ the puppies but would like to know some of this in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

What registry is your dog registered with? The shows run differently for each registry. The ADBA requires dogs to be shown on a 4-foot lead and buckle collar. UKC or AKC (for AmStaffs) generally go with "show" leads like a martingale or a light-link show choke. Yes, the pups are allowed to be pups, but ideally you should start slowly training your dog to stack, gait, show the mouth, and stand patiently while people handle her. Keep training sessions short and fun, and don't get frustrated with her if she wants to be a wiggle-butt. They are easier in the ADBA -- and dogs aren't required to stack or gait (also the judge doesn't touch the dogs) -- but if you're going to do UKC or AKC, she'll need to learn to stack and wait patiently for several minutes in the ring. Diet: Any good kibble or raw should be fine. You don't have to do any special conditioning with a puppy.

My recommendation is to try and get to some shows in person and talk to other people in the breed. Bring your pup with you, if she's up on her vaccinations, for the exposure. (You can't overestimate the importance of socialization.) If you can catch people while they're not in the ring or going up very soon, they're usually very helpful.

3. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

thank you. your info will be very helpful.

4. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Take good care of your pup from day one, good feed, vaccinations, etc. Then if it is ADBA simply give it a good bath and take it out to the show!

5. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

Thanks, I am doing that (good feed, vet checks, shots, lots of exercise, socialization both dog & people) What I am really wondering is how you walk them around the ring and any other littlew tid bits. Thanks!

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You move them around the ring at a trot with their heads up. You're supposed to gait with a loose lead, but with a young dog you'll probably have keep it taut so she doesn't try to sniff around the ground. Some people teach the dogs to look up at them by spitting pieces of hot dog or liver to them. (Not in the ring of course, but in training.)

ETA: When you go into the ring, the judge will tell you how/where they want the dogs gaited and where to stop.

7. Marty

Marty Guest

I posted a video on this one time, but now I can't find it :(

8. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

thanks so much you folks are great, and if you can find that vidio or any other video, shoot, even picture would be very helpful. Peace

9. Marty

Marty Guest

10. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

thank you Marty

11. Marty

Marty Guest

It took me 30 mins to get all the other pics in the right place, but there all of dog shows now ;)