1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sizes...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Bubba, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Just trying to get some conversation going, what does the folks on this board prefer, small dogs? Large dogs?? Most of mine seem to range from about 33-44, with the exception of my ole May bitch whom is at 53-55. Just curious what everyone elses preference is...
    BB

2. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Well this should definately start some discussion. The only range I want to stay away from is the 75 + range. I have had dogs from 35 lbs up to 72 lbs and have loved them all. Alot has to do with what type of sport u and your dog participate in. Your larger dogs are great for the hunt as long as they got mouth. Weight competitions can be up or down the ladder. Are you trying for most weight pulled or most per pound. Lots of variables. If I had to choose a range I would say 45-55 conditioned.

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want anything the size of dogs u see at Muglestons. These dogs have no lung and can't go the distance.

3. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I love the smaller dogs just simply because they are soooo much easier to handle and control lol. Plus, I love the look of a small little petite powerful dog....
    BB

4. J.W

J.W Pup

I love dogs that weigh in or around the 33-43 weight, it seems like dynamite comes in small packages, even seen a 29 pound dog that was pure fire!!!!!!!

5. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Yeah.......little dogs seem to have the little man syndrome.....something to prove!

6. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

I like the 45-55 pound range but I have 1 female thats 25 pounds but she thinks she weights 80.

7. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

I like my females to be in the range of 35-45 lbs. And my males to be 38-48 lbs. I don't care too much for the larger ones.

Knock 'Em Out

8. 3BK

3BK Pup

I like smaller dogs better! Around 26lbs to 35 lbs. It's like having a palm top! EHehehe! POWER, STRENGTH, ABILITY, GAMENESS packed in a small package!!!

9. gator

gator Big Dog

35-45 LBS IS MY PERFECT WEIGHT CLASS. This might piss someone off but once they get up around 75lbs I have to question their breeding..

10. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

A good buddy of mine got a son of Rebel Yell and he weighs in at 73lbs and game as they come. But me personally I don't really like em that big.

Knock 'Em Out

11. Gamest

Gamest Pup

Well i likeim 35 2 47 at tha most. NOW this is a proven FACT ( TOSAS ) tha bigger tha quicker they wear down. U MIGHT HAVE A BIG HEAD AND A LOT OF MUSCLES BUT WHEN RUN INTO A DOG THAT CAN DANCE LIKE JAMES BROWN AND WRESTLE LIKE RIC FLAIR ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE U TUCK UR TAIL.

12. gator

gator Big Dog

I have seen some huge so called bulldogs outta the mid west. Some up there around 100lbs?

13. gator

gator Big Dog

Shit, I will feed 3 35lbers anyday before I would 1 100lber....

14. I perfer 35 to 50 lbs chain weight i like to walk the dog not the dog walking me lol

15. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

That is so very true!

Knock 'Em Out

16. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

I like 'em 30-55 lots of weight to choose from. I like a little variety.

17. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Plus they sell them for upwards of over 3,000 dollars ..and I don't think any of them have ever done anything in the show ring, agiltiy, obedience or hunting.

i've gota good game to the core male but he's a big one..around 75 pounds on the chain. Surely wasn't bred to be that big.. but a good honest bulldog none the less. Very laid back ..can walk him down the street without having to worry unlike my 45 pound female. i'm torn between breeding and not breeding because of his size..if I ever did, I'd certainly have to find a smaller femaler and people that wanted some bigger dogs..

But the little ones are much easier to keep, feed and clean up after lol..

18. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Hell if hes a good dog breed him, don't much matter about the size. I got a buddy that has a monster, the dog is probably at about 70lbs right now, conditioned and shown at 57...he constantly produces dogs at about the low to mid 40s and even a 38lb dog...his a big one, but producing the normal size for dogs in his line. Were the parents of your dog small?
    BB

19. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

They weren't real small..I'd say average, male was a big on the larger size prbably about 55 pounds conditioned. He had a littermate that was a good 15 pounds lighter. But they definetly weren't bred to be that big..

I know for awhile the line was gettting up there. One dog (from different parents but same line) was 100 pounds.. they couldn't even keep him in a kennel, was a monster that would hit every dog he could.

My boy is well bred..some nice McCoy lines. I'm looking to outcross my female then breed to my male. My female is from the same sire, different dams and she's about 45 pounds conditioned. A littermate of hers has been siring some great dogs..one just took every class she was in at the Michigan AADR fun show last week.

20. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

BBK is right.....just because he is that big doesn't necessarily mean he will throw em that big. I have one dog that is 62lbs and his mother and father both were 40-45 lbs. The reason I think he is so big is that he has been conditioned since he was 4 mos old. Gets exercised nearly every day!