1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Skin cancer

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cheese, Aug 8, 2006.

1. cheese

cheese Top Dog

I have a dog that is mostly white with red spots. The vet reccomend that she wear a t shirt when she is in the sun. Any one have these issues with white dogs or is the vet exagerating?
    I have noticed she has alot more spots then when she was a pup. Is this from the sun?

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Yes your pup can get sunburned & yes it can get skin cancer. Sunburns are more often seen in white dogs, but the worst one I've ever seen was on a pug (needed skin grafts).

A t-shirt is a good idea, but an even better solution in to apply sunscreen on your dog. I recommend Banana Boat for infants in the spray variety. (no dog likes to have goo slathered all over it & chances are he'll try to lick it off). When applying it though, spray the entire body including the stomach, but spray some on a cloth & wipe your dog's entire head & face.

3. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Thanks Miakoda. Yeah her face gets red when shes out for awhile but shes mostly indoors, never been burned though. I will try the sunscreen.

4. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Hmm, someone here recommended horse sun-screen for Blue. She mostly stay indoors with us. (our little spoiled house pet) But if she lays in the sun in summer she does turn awfully pink farily quickly.
    Thanks for the tips Miakoda

5. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

When my girl gets red, I get out the sunscreen. Then, she's only out so long.