1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Skinny Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Riptora, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

There is always a discussion about what is considered overweight and underweight with this breed. So here's a little quiz, ( I scanned this picture, sorry, the quality sucks! )

DO YOU THINK THIS DOG IS TOO SKINNY?

[​IMG]

ANSWER:
    According to my newest issue of Dog World, this dog is true to it's breed standard. Which means that it is NOT underweight. This is a UKC recognized rare breed dog called a Azawakh... don't ask how that's pronounced, I haven't a clue! Next to this photo is the UKC breed standard which reads: " Hindquarters: The hip bones are clearly distinguishable... "
    Looks like a freakin skeleton to me, but this is the design of this dog. There are other photos of this breed in the mag that have a tiny bit more meat, but this is the photo chosen to represent the breed standard. This particular dog is probably a worker too. If you fed that dog steaks 5 times a day, it would not get fat.
    Suprised? I was...

Attached Files:

2. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Skinny? Yes. Emaciated? No.

3. Attila

Attila Guest

That is the oddest looking thing. Looks like a girraff with a dogs head glued on. lol. Looks boney to me too. lol that is a funny looking thing.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Wow, I cant imagine.

5. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

on this dog I would have to put my hands on him to see if there is any fat between the ribs,,i still don't like to see hip bones sticking up,,I don't care what breed it is

6. semo

semo Top Dog

that dog just doesnt look right,

there def has to be something wrong with it.

7. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Have to see it to believe it. The dog looks slim and skinny like it should, but not underfed or emaciated. Each breed has a different look to it.

8. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

That's about perfect as far as Azawakhs go. Really nice looking dog. Coursing breeds tend to be very skinny, the less weight, the faster they can run. She's got really nicely defined muscle in the forequarters, and you can see that big 'ol muscle above the tuck-up. If the dog were starved, you wouldn't see that. From the pic, she could actually use a touch more conditioning on the hindquarters, but the pic's not the best quality so it's hard to tell. The Azawakh is a really neat breed, but you don't see many of them. I think they're somehow related to the Sloughi (pronounced SLOW-gi, I think), but I'm not sure. They look really similar though. http://www.hondensite.bravepages.com/afbeeldingen/sloughi%20(2).jpg BTW, Azawakh is pronounced exactly as it is spelled (minus the "h") AZ-uh-wohk. You gotta love those sighthounds.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

......love to see one of these wind up on animal planet and watch them further make asses of themselves.....

10. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

thats a greyhound with a dachshunds head. lol

11. Attila

Attila Guest

I would take great pleasure in that too. we should write them. NOT. lol

12. for that breed it is about as normal as can be.

13. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

That is a very funny looking dog.

14. he looks sick

15. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Ok, I thought that photo was a joke! That is one weird looking dog. I thought he looked thin. Hell, I thought you photoshopped and streched the pic..lol.

16. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

That is a trip. He looks funny.

17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I would be highly uncomfortable with my dog looking like that, but its what I've seen for those dogs. I think it has something to do with them being working dogs and having to get by on what their owners are able to feed them. Or maybe being that thin is just what's fastest? Don't know.

18. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

looked like a whippet in need of some love.lol.

19. Suki

Suki Guest

well, ignorance won here, cuz initailly, when I saw that hip bone pertruding, I was thinking too thin. But if that's what the standard calls for, then I just learned something tonight.

20. yeah they were bred to be thin like a greyhound,and just like a greyhound they were bred for hunting hares and other very fast game wich required a fast dog.and thats where it being so naturely skinny and having the huge chest wall comes into play.the lankiness helps with balance and fast turning,the thinness keeps them from slowing down,the huge chest houses massive lungs and a larger heart to get blood and oxygen through the system,the nose is a little larger and longer to get enough air into them,the eyes are set perfect for spotting game and following it at high speeds,feet are small and cat like also for speed,and even the shape of their mouth was geared for catching the game without damaging any of the meat.not to mention where they come from is in the high hundreds when they are doing all this,so they didnt have a need for a heavy or musclar dog,they were just bred for nothing but hunting and survival.