1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Slat mill training problem

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Gamble, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Gamble

Gamble Pup

I got a two year old dog and I'm trying to train him to walk/run on the slat mill I got the mill about a month ago and almost everyday since then I've been putting him on it gently and all he does is lay down and he start breathing heavy like he's having a panic attack I finally got him to stand up on it about a week ago but he was shivering I havent seen him act like this since I first picked him up from the airport at 8 wks old hes a bad mofo on the chain and he can chase a bike for almost an hr but hes scared when I put him on the mill I haven't put him on it anymore but he sees it everyday (I bring him inside for feeding) I don't want to scare him more so what do you guys suggest I do?

2. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Theres one here on the yard that will freeze on a mill and bit your ass trying to get him off. Same why in a truck ride or a pet carrier. I cant get him out of it. Bullldog on the chain but freaked out when on the mill. Ive yet to figure it out.

3. Gamble

Gamble Pup

I'm moving to a smaller place and was hoping to work em out since he's not going to have a yard anymore... Ive tried food toys snacks bacon nothing work s maybe I spent money on the mill for nothing

4. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

I hate to say it but you might be right. How does he act when you roll the mill alittle with him on it?

5. Gamble

Gamble Pup

He'll just sit there I could probably roll him right of that thing he won't move when I put the chain to the collar its worse he'll let his head just hang its sad I takem off fast I no longer put the chain on em

6. Gamble

Gamble Pup

This is him he doesn't do much

Attached Files:

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Jus be patient, leave him on there and jus let him get used to it for now. Jus talk to him, pet him and maybe give a fav toy or treat. Eventually he will relax from the distractions and the fact that he has been on there so long. That's the first step, ideally u let pups watch older dogs do it and start them about 5 or 6 months, it helps. I have a hard time running older dogs that have never ran a mill

8. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

Some dogs are naturals when it comes to the mill, others need lots of work. As frustrating as it is, keep your head and keep it up for the dog. Find whatever it is that your dog goes bonkers for and hold it in front of him while he is on the mill all the while encouraging him. Some dogs its a piece of hide, some its another dog, some its a rabbit... another thing to try is to let him watch another dog run the mill everyday for a few weeks. Pet and encourage the dog on the mill and soon the young dog will realize what's going on. Another good trick is to get another mill (I understand most people probably only have one mill but...) and face them together so each dog is running towards the other. I've found a lot of times a young dog or a dog that is not really into working the mill will go hard that way. They can't resist the other dog showing them up! Good luck and be patient and consistent.

9. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Roccity is giving you good advice. Find a toy that drives your dogs nuts when he is not on the mill. Get him really amped up with the toy have some one else carry the toy while he is looking at it and you carry him to the mill and put him on it. Don't let him lose sight of the toy on the way there. Once on the mill encourage him to go after the toy some more. This usually works well. Or if he is dog aggressive bring in another dog when he is on the will. For super dog aggressive dogs a full length mirror held in front of them works great. With patience one of these tricks will usually work.
    The problem is, he doesn't understand what you are asking him to do and he doesn't know that it is supposed to be fun. That is why carrying him to the mill with the toy usually works.
    I have seen dogs far more scared of the mill than your dog looks turn out to be fantastic workers on the mill.
    Then again some dogs just won't run a mill and you have to find something else for them to do. Good luck and be patient.

10. Gamble

Gamble Pup

Thanks guys for the advice that just gave me a lil more encouragement to keep trying I was loosing hope I mean after a mon

11. Gamble

Gamble Pup

I mean after a month ... I am going to try some of the above maybe a mirror will do the trick I didn't think of that .he has ramd into his own reflection more than once ... toys and even his favorite snack wont do ..I'm going to keep trying and ill put a video up if we get thru this I was really feeling bummed out maybe it is his age Ive seen puppies run the first time on. I hope patience will pay off.

12. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

i didnt bother with the patience thing.. these dogs dont break that easily. i raised mine to a slant that they HAD to work on, and make em work it. mine get over it.

13. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

i have a dog was also scared as hell to even get on the mill, holding his whole body stiff, trying to jump over or flip over just to get off. swear he could break his leg trying to get of. a year later i bought another mill and tried again. he was still scared but i could attach him at 3 points so he couldnt jump of. at first he wasnt even interested in the toys he'd go mad for. now he walks at slow pace and he even seems to enjoy it. cant get him to make sprints yet but im taking it very slow. it helps to make your mill go uphill, if this is not an option on your mill, just put something under the front legs. encourage him and give him some food to associate it with the good. if you finaly have him interested, make him walk for a short time and stop it yourself before he gets bored, after it reward him with his toy or something else nice.

good luck

14. Gamble

Gamble Pup

Yeah I could place a couple bricks under the front end . Maybe I should get a harness and that way he doesn't choke all advice will be taken and tried since hes not going to have a yard and summer is leaving soon I really want to get em going

15. Gamble

Gamble Pup

Roc the rabbit is starting to sound like the way to go.

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

incline never failed me yet. nothing crazy though just enough to get it going.

17. blueboy

blueboy Big Dog

I alway's let a dog see other dog's running the mill a few time's before allowing it to have a go. And before attaching them I try to get a dog to jump on, run along and jump of the end a few time's. The more comfortable they (& the owner's) are around them the more likelyhood they'll take to running them.

18. Gamble

Gamble Pup

He Took his first steps on it the incline really helped ill post video once we get more than a few steps going

19. hardluck

hardluck Banned

GOOD LUCK. LOOKS LIKE A DESCENT MILL you have there. everyone is giving some real good advise to you and all of it should help you. have fun that incline though should help a bit. HE is a good looking dog though

20. Gamble

Gamble Pup

Thanks hes a good boy we appreciate everyone s help