1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

slight open wound

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by sega, May 31, 2012.

1. sega

sega Big Dog

2. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

Dont cut skin. Keep it clean. Chlorahexidine.

3. sega

sega Big Dog

aight man, appreciate it. ill clean it out and let it lay down. for the future is it a general rule to never remove skin?

4. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

if the skin is viable leave it. if it looks dead, remove it. based on the pics you posted, i'd personally leave it and let it heal on its own. if using chlorahexidine, keep it off that *open area unless you dilute it=it's strong and will irriate that raw/exposed area.

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

You always dilute it when you use it with water. Granulex v spray also has worked very well for me

6. Or here's an idea. Take it to the vet to get it sewed up. Crazy, it's an idea that just suddenly came to me.

7. sega

sega Big Dog

nah, its not serious enough for the vet, not saying i dont have love for the dog or money to afford but its just a little cut.

8. sega

sega Big Dog

appreciate all the help, just in one day it looks significantly better, ill watch it for infection, if i notice anything ill start him on a round of pennecillian for abt 3 days, its looking good though

9. WWII

WWII Banned

You'd probably want to run penicillin longer than 3 days.

10. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I agree at least 10-14 days .... I can't see the pics so I don't know what it looks like but if it's bad enough that you think it will become infected or showing signs of infections I would do a 14 day round of antibiotics cephalexin if you have it...

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Why would cutting the skin even be an option? And hitting the dog with pen AFTER you notice an infection a few days down the road is way too late. It's not a very capable antibiotic as it is and at that stage pretty much useless.

Can't see any pictures but at the very least keep it clean and keep It dry. And no don't cut the skin.

12. sega

sega Big Dog

i just thought cutting the skin cause it was only hanging on by like a thread, appreciate all the help. his lil wounds doing good, its actually ended up scabbing n the skiin was dead and just pretty much feel off